Have you become more resistant to getting sick (colds, flus) since quitting fin?

The doctor wouldn’t give me antibiotics so think it’s viral.

I went 1.5 years without being sick on finasteride. Before finasteride I was sick every 2 months like clockwork. Now, I have been getting sick but less frequently. However, when I do get sick it’s extremely bad. Once I get over it (can take a month), I have a week or two where I feel great. Finasteride 100 percent messed up my immune system in some weird way. Do you guys have any knowledge of endocrinology? Does Progesterone (aka Finasteride) bolster the immune system? Or perhaps estrogen bolsters immune system?

1 Like

I have been on biological drugs for rheumatoid arthritis for a number of years These dampen down my immune system reducing symptoms. On the back of being off work due to PFS I decided to stop the biologics to see if it would help with some of the health issues PFS has unleashed! this was 3 months ago. Here’s the thing I have not had an increase in my rheum symptoms which would normally be quite bad by now. Is this because of fin changes. I also never get colds or flu but have every PFS side. I’d swap these to go back to active rheumatoid in a blink. I believe my immune system has changed, mine was already over active but things would suggest it’s receded but then again I don’t get colds!!! Conundrum !!!

on finasteride i never had the flu or colds, was never sick. the estrogenic effect of it seems to keep infections in check. since i stopped i m often often feling a sore throat, flulike sympthoms,sinusitis. taking androgens like T or DHT does worsen immune system. taking DHEA improves it. coconut oil also improves. maybe quitting dairy is helping too. but thats just me. so being rather “estrogenic” helps wellbeing.

1 Like

0 flus since pfs, before once a year!!

1 Like

Yeah i don’t experience flu anymore. But it may be coincidance. Who knows, im not so sure.

Found some interesting stuff in the web

So basically high levels of T suppress the immune system whereas low T boosts it…
I found another article that says the immune, endocrine, and central nervous systems are linked together. That explains why we are so fucked!
Here is the second article:

2 Likes

I never got sick when I was on fin for 2 years. Does that mean my T would have been low when I took fin ?

1 Like

While you taking the drug, how was your libido and sexlife? If it was good while taking it and at the same time you experienced no flu/sickness. This immune system theory may not be so legit. @Mark2012

Rather than the non manifestation of symptoms reflecting people not getting sick, is it not possible you do still get illnesses / viruses but the immune system being suppressed or compromised just means they are not symptomatic?

I only ask because I remember some old friends of mine who used recreational drugs in the past telling me that if they did some drugs while they had cold or flu (I think MDMA or ecstasy, maybe LSD too), the symptoms completely disappeared, but once the drugs are out of their system, the symptoms return. So the infection / virus / whatever was always there, it just wasn’t manifesting in symptoms while the drugs were affecting their immune system.

Just a thought.

My libido was a bit lower while on fin but no other sexual sides.

it’s been exactly two years since i’ve had this disease and i have no been sick once. prior to getting this disease i got a cold ATLEAST 2 times a year.

2 Likes

Ditto this. My wife and daughter get sick all the time with colds etc but I don’t seem to catch them.

My experience is very similar to @andrew89 . I hardly got sick for two years and since then I have had flu twice and sinusitis and other things. I’m hoping it’s a good sign that I have been getting sick again.

1 Like

when women get pregnant the body shifts to Th2 dominance which protects the fetus.
@doomed80

Tested positive for Covid and still have no symptoms 4 days later.

2 Likes

When being sick, do symptoms of pfs improve or get worse?

I think pfs is immune based or has at least a link to it. I feel so much better when taking antibiotics.

2 Likes

Haven’t been sick in over 10 years

ENT irritation absolutely but fevers or colds…nope

I’d do anything for a cold

have u tried amoxicillin paired with clavulanic acid?

Many antibiotics are anti inflammatory. Many people feel a boost of energy while on them, but it’s not something you can sustain long term.

It’s the same with corticosteroids or even recreational drugs.

I got inflammation / immune system tests done and they show I have very little inflammation in my body.

I’m not going to say immune system has nothing to do with PFS, but I do find it very unlikely reading through the data that is avaliable (although it’s sparse and of low quality).