Everything Epigenetic

“The resulting method, called Microscopic Imaging of Epigenetic Landscapes (MIEL), was able to detect active drugs, classify the compounds by their molecular function, spot epigenetic changes across multiple cell lines and drug concentrations, and help identify how unknown compounds work. The scientists used the approach to identify epigenetic compounds that may be able to help treat glioblastoma, a deadly brain cancer.”

Oscillospira is a genus of bacteria that is decreased following finasteride use and is suspected to be butyrate producers: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28028921/

1 Like

Skip to 2.05 has anyone here tried a compound known as Lunasin? which can attach itself to histones and reactivate silenced genes apparently from watching the following video.

I’m coming to the stark realisation that this condition is fairly complicated and will require a scientific intervention. It’s hard to say when such intervention will arrive all that I know is that they are working on epigenetic therapies for cancer behind the scenes so that may help us in the future.

2 Likes

even if a full blown cure doesn’t arrive for a while it doesn’t mean we won’t get lucky with some decent therapeutics.

sage has potential to be huge. medical tech in general is at a point of accelerating really fast

1 Like

Do you know what contributed to you getting better? Did you/do you have any neurological symptoms?

I still don’t have my sharpness from before. Im at around 80% and that 20% gap is very significant. However, I can still work fine most time.

I cannot meditate and make progress, which really sucks because i have no way of improving my focus and concentration. I just have to use grit to pull myself together to finish tasks. it becomes really hard to get into flow.

i also have emotional blunting and sleeping problems if that counts as neuro, the latter managed by over the counter benadryl and melatnonin

i can only think that time helped me get better honestly.

last december i got worse emotional blunting from 5htp (was trying to get better sleep)

just a few weeks back i got worse emotional blunting from a laxative called castor oil (was trying to help with digestion)

i recovered both, especially the castor oil, within 1-2 weeks. however my initial crash brain fog was not recovered for at least about a year

1 Like

4:40 discusses hyper methylation and It’s link to cancer. is that what PFS creates hyper methylation.

Hypermylation is a state were genes have become demethylated whereas PFS has certain genes that are now methylated that shouldn’t be thus inhibiting their expression.

1 Like

It’s interesting that methylation is the main thing that people are talking about over on PSSD forums. People are taking Valproate as well as Lithium (separately, so far, as I have been able to see) and getting results.

2 Likes

That’s interesting indeed. Do you have any links? Not sure if we can post them on this forum but I’d imagine with the collaboration going on we should be able to.

1 Like

For anyone interested in methylation agents 5-azadC or decitabine.

In patients with fragile X, portions of the FMR1 gene necessary for its activation are excessively methylated (hypermethylated), which renders the gene inactive and prevents it from giving instructions for production of the FMRP protein.

This can be reversed by using what are known as demethylation agents to block the process of DNA methylation.

They focused on a compound called 3-deazaneplanocin A (DZNep), to show that combining this agent with the demethylating agent 5-aza-2-deoxycytidine (5-azadC or decitabine) significantly enhanced the reactivation of FMR1 and restarted the production of FMRP in induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs) derived from fragile X patients.

When these mice were treated with the demethylating agent 5-azadC together with DZNep, FMR1 activity was restored at the transplanted tissues, including the brain

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2211124719301974#sec4

1 Like

link?

It looks like this is going to be a long waiting game before this technology arrives.

https://www.quora.com/When-will-we-see-routine-complete-genetic-sequencing-of-epigenetic-markers-How-will-that-change-medicine-Will-there-be-a-CRISPR-like-tool-to-modify-epigenetics?encoded_access_token=fa773507b2cc49efa53755a60be0196c&force_dialog=1&provider=google&success=True

That post is from may 2018. I thought the technology was already here in the form of Prime Editing /dcas9?

1 Like
2 Likes

Study shows Citalopram changes the methylation of 626 gene promoters - how many has Propecia changed? Given the side effects possible a lot more. Could Crispr technologies actually be able to change hundreds of genes any time soon.

Commonly used pharmaceutical drugs might alter the epigenetic state of cells, leading to varying degrees of long-term repercussions to human health. To test this hypothesis, we cultured HEK-293 cells in the presence of 50 μ M citalopram, a common antidepressant, for 30 days and performed whole-genome DNA methylation analysis using the NimbleGen Human DNA Methylation 3x720K Promoter Plus CpG Island Array. A total of 626 gene promoters, out of a total of 25,437 queried genes on the array (2.46%), showed significant differential methylation ( p < 0.01); among these, 272 were hypomethylated and 354 were hypermethylated in treated versus control.

2 Likes

We’re the effected gene promoters mostly the same in all test subjects? If so that could be a big positive for PFS. What concerns me is that a cure may not be feasible IF everyone has different affected/methylated gene promoters.