DYSPHAGIA I feel like I am going to die as well and a warning about NAD+ supplements

Am I the only one here choking on food, water, and saliva everyday because of dystrophy of the swallowing muscles?

This is hell. I don’t even know if COVID patients can cough this much.

This thread is a reminder that this forum is a double edged sword. All these suicide cases you read about on here? They mostly happened after unfathomable worsening following experimentation with supplements/drugs.

1 Like

Did you get to see a doctor yet? It sounds awful, a doctor should take this very serious and do tests to see if they can find anything.

If I had those issues you have I wouldn’t even leave the doctors office unless they order the whole catalogue of tests.

I really hope you’ll get better soon.

Also going to post a review of potential adverse effects of NAD+ precursors, maybe someone will read it and can make informed choices if they want to take it or not. I know many people listen to David Sinclair, but one should know he has commercial interests in selling these kind of supplements.

1 Like

Hey, thank you so much for replying. It’s a lonely thread. Yeah, I am literally drowning on my own saliva every day. If you were my neighbor, you’d think that someone was dying of lung cancer next door. I had a few days of respite then I was given the common antibiotic amoxicillin for a gum infection and guess what. My dysphagia got worse again as well as numbness in my hands, arms, and feet came back. Seriously, what a joke.

The ENT that the doctor at the ER referred me to kept screwing up and giving me the wrong study. What I need is called an videofluoroscopy and she booked me for the same wrong study called an upper GI for the second time now. The hospital she booked me for doesn’t even do the study I need. I only found out when I got there and talked to the radiologist. This is after dozens of calls from me to her office. And now after a letter from my family doctor requesting for the proper study to be requisitioned, she still booked me for another upper GI at the same fucking hospital, but double contrast this time. Total shitshow.

Yeah that sounds like a lot to handle for you.

Doctors are hit or miss really.

Did you go through with the upper GI? I’ve just read briefly about it. But sometimes it’s worth going through with what the doc wants first, and if it doesn’t pan out they might be more inclined to accept suggestions.

But if you live somewhere where you don’t have free healthcare I can see why someone wouldn’t want to do that.

Are you from the US?

I think most doctors are miss because they’re overworked and understaffed. But this simply just about a doctor not listening to or communicating effectively with their patient.

She thought my problem was that I couldn’t swallow at all. So long as food or liquid makes it down to the esophagus, it’s smooth sailing from there for me. So my problem lies above the upper GI. What I need is an upper upper GI, or a videofluoroscopy.

I am from Canada. No, even if it’s free, I don’t think it’s a good idea doing an unnecessary test that involves the risk of aspirating barium in a hospital during COVID.

Thanks for your thoughts and your time to respond to my thread though, it means a lot to me.

I came across your post mentioning excessive salivation and wanted to mention my experience in case it might help you.
One evening I suddenly developed a rush of saliva in my mouth that never stopped day or night. This was a couple weeks after quitting trazodone but I don’t believe it was the (primary) cause.
Anyways I dealt with excess saliva 24/7 for well over a year and it was a literal hell. Doctors didn’t help and an endoscopy revealed nothing.
After a while I came to the conclusion that it was LPR (reflux) after I tried rising the head of my bed and the salivation miraculously improved. If you want to try, raise the head of your bed as much as you can tolerate (at least 4 inches, every inch helps), and try reflux-sensitive lifestyle choices (stay upright especially after eating, chew food well, very light meals etc.)

1 Like

Are you doing fine now? I’ve actually had what I thought was LPR before in the form of excessive phlegm in the throat. I also had periods of excessive saliva after PFS unrelated to what I have now.

Both have subsided before this dysphagia developed. Excessive saliva this time is secondary to the disordered swallowing. I actually have to adopt a LPR unfriendly diet to avoid choking. Greasy foods go down easily. White/lean meats, fiber, whole grains, nuts, many fruits and vegetables, anything dry, crumbly, or brittle will have me begging for God hacking for hours.

1 Like

Yes, for the most part I’m doing fine now in that regard, still have to keep my bed tilted though. It took about another year for the excess salivation to fully subside. Rarely it will come back after eating, but usually it passes fairly quickly.
Sorry I can’t offer any other advice really in regards to the dysphagia aspect because I’ve never dealt with it. Do you think going on a purely liquid diet temporarily would help?

Did you know that no one is recommending you to take NAM but NMN or NR?

NAM is known to cause opposite effects as do NMN and NR (which are fueling and activating sirtuin genes, DNA protecting and repairing molecules) NAM blocks them of functioning

That seems to be the case in vitro, in vivo it’s more debatable what actually happens.

To be honest the research on this is not mature enough to draw any definitive conclusions yet.

I haven’t taken the time to look into the sirtuins much at all though, I just found that study by a quick search on pubmed.

To put it very simple:
Sirtuins (humans have 7 of them) are the body’s protector down to a cellular level.

But if you take the time:

How do you feel today?

2 Likes

Bad enough for my parents to beg me to screen for lung cancer.

It feels like complete misery, utter torture, but I stay fighting.

2 Likes

Hello Mecked, shit your parents in trouble with your state of health. I don’t know how old are you and where you are from. And how you get this shit. I’m very interested to get more details about you and your situation. It’s a funny thing but as closer we all to another as better our feeling, because all of us have lost connections, fiancee and friends some everything outside.

2 Likes

i think i had some dysphagia symptoms when i developed panic disorder over a year ago.

although not nearly as severe as yours, no where close. i was able to manage my panic disorder symptoms with keto diet

but take that with a grain of salt

feel better soon

1 Like

My larynx goes weak. As side sleeper I have nights problem with hanging through larynx, breath and salvia. Do you have this problem? Because of your muscle loss in your neck muscles.

1 Like

Sorry, I haven’t responded in days. I am so sorry to hear what you are going through. I don’t have much energy to reply plus I am still struggling with my dysphagia coughing like a dying man everyday.

I am a side sleeper too. At night I feel tightness in my throat muscles like they aren’t contracting or relaxing properly, but I don’t feel like they are collapsing. I don’t know if there is any muscle loss. My problem at night is trying to clear out my trachea of all the debris and saliva so that means coughing violently for an hour or so before I can get any sleep.

Thanks, lakehouse. I don’t get panic attacks and not a lot of anxiety but I wonder if you ever got a problem with excessive saliva. I don’t know why that goes hand in hand with my dysphagia.

Glad that ordeal is over for you now.

1 Like

I only had excessive saliva when my panic attacks would get triggered. It would happen right before i would dive into a full blown 3 hour panic episode, almost like a warning

1 Like

I am such an idiot. Anyone know how to clear out peanut butter from your trachea?

1 Like