Dry Hair - treatable?

I literally explained it as simple as possible, Fibroblast cells are the main skin cell and they produce most of the bottom layers of the skin with proteins such as collagen and elastin. They also keep hair soft and shiny with keratin. Then you said, “But some people have rubbery skin, or their muscles turn into mush, so you’re point makes no sense!” I have researched this topic for almost 2 years now. I’m sorry you have gone through this for 15 years but you are definitely making this a more complicated issue than it has to be, at least when it comes to skin,

It is ALWAYS better to have an idea of what has happened to your body and appearance rather than tell yourself it’s this foreign evil enemy. Your fibroblast cells are not functioning and are not dividing because they are AR-dependent cells and 5-ar inhibiting drugs modify the androgen receptor at a transcriptional level.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022202X15320789

A role for the androgen receptor in Collagen content of the skin.

" Evidence for receptor-dependent response to dihydrotestosterone in cultured human fibroblasts."

(Study explains how dihydrotestosterone binds to the androgen receptor in fibroblasts and allows the fibroblast to synthesize proteins (collagen, keratin, elastin, hylauronic acid (moisturizes skin))

1 Like

I’ve only had PFS for 17 months and counting, I meant the 15 years of users posting on this forum searching for significant treatments.

If you have studied it so extensively, what treatments do you recommend? What have you been able to fix and what are you still struggling with?

Are you suggesting we need more testosterone in our body? So I experienced Relfex-Hyperandrogenicity (Or atleast I think i did). After starting FIN I lost 40% hair density and it went dry. Before FIN never shed hair.

I checked my testosterone levels, and they are at 520 (350-1100 scale) I am 26 years old btw.

How would we combat this ? and get more fibroblast in our body? Hopefully that can help us have our hair and skin back to normal

BTW, for all who’s wondering. I stopped FIN 10 months ago. My hair and skin got slightly better, but still dry. I noticed my hands are a lot more dry now, and the skin on my face. I have been using facial lotion that has been helping.

If you’ve been off Finasteride that long and are still experiencing symptoms it would be highly appreciated if you could participate in our Post-Drug Syndrome Patient Survey.

The data generated will help to characterize the condition(s) that have come to be known as PFS, PAS and PSSD, along with several other persistent syndromes resulting from various substances.

The survey can be accessed through the bar-graph icon at the top of your screen after you have posted a member story, and remember, the survey can be halted at any time and continued at a later time/date.

By doing your part, you take another step toward establishing the legitimacy of persistent post-drug side effects and another step toward the understanding we need to find a cure.

2 Likes

@Fxckfin

For the skin, not for all of PFS, I found that dermarolling + retin-a is a good thing to do every few weeks. It really makes my skin look better when I do it.

Dermarolling, I would recommend the Dr Pen A6, goodluck getting that with this coronavirus though. Dermarolling punctures the skin and “injures” it safely, which is when your body encourages fibroblast proliferation from a pathway different from T > AR.

And then retin-a is good for collagen and I usually apply it 4-6 hours after dermarolling at nighttime. Retin-a does mess with the androgen receptor and since the Dermarolling opened the skin up a bit it works really good… I find it has a positive effect on my skin only after dermarolling and MAYBE, I have a bit better libido after doing so.

As far as treating all of PFS, I haven’t tried everything yet but look into carb backloading, I made a post on it and I get good results with it.

No we do not need more testosterone, my testosterone was at 895ng/dl in December and I have all the symptoms of PFS.

So you refrain from complex carbs until later in the evening? You still eat vegetables and fruits normally?

Nah, I don’t eat anything until nighttime in bed, literally, and when I do it’s 200+g of carbs (normally Oreos).

Obviously I don’t do it EVERY day but when I do, I wake up in the morning feeling like my old self, and I stay that way until I eat again.

jesus christ is there nobody besides me and Holyhead who have had their entire bodies destroyed lol. It’s been over 17 months now and I just am constantly amazed by my skin, muscles, and hair and how everything has changed. Like i’m wearing a rubber suit and all of my muscles are complete mush, skin and hair is completely dry. I can not shower for 2 or 3 days and my hair and skin are still completely dry

I have all of this and a lot more. Every function in my body has been effected. I am no longer recognisable the pyhsical sides have over taken the mental ones which are soul destroying on their own.

Im going to try your fasting approach this weekend. Also, I experienced an insane shedding when off FIN, before the drug I never shedded hair. Now, its slowed down since I stopped, but still shedding more than pre FIN, Any idea why this happened, and how to try to counter it?

Damn, I am sorry to hear that man. But hang in there, things get better over time. Are you exercising and have a good diet?

1 Like

Cheers.

I still extecise but have lost so much strength and muscle. I had an insanely healthy diet but have intolerences to almost everything. Red meat and water in the main. Cant eat any fruit, veg or salad. Ive had pfs 20 years mate with no improvements however i only stopped taking it 2 years ago after discovering this site. Things have only got worse for me im afraid

@LazarusRy I ve got the same issues. My skin is stretchy I only took 18 tablets three months ago

1 Like

@Dknighten made a point that I don’t think this post responds to, and I also find it mysterious. The question is, why do different people get such different symptom profiles? Some may get certain skin symptoms, others may have muscle loss, and still others don’t get these symptoms at all, but have other post-finasteride symptoms.

I got the same symptoms also from antidepressants. I notice my body,knuckles and eyebrows hair became a lot more. Do you got that also?

Genetics.

[quote=“telpek, post:36, topic:41156”]
LazarusRy I ve got the same issues. My skin is stretchy I only took 18 tablets three months ago

Thats so tough, hopefully things will settle for you its still early days

1 Like

I had anxiety, insomnia testicular cancer and ED for 14 years. Then the dry skin and other symptoms manifested. Its was only at year 18 i found the cause when i immediately stopped since then all hell has broke loose. I believe ive if id had stopped years ago i would have been a mild case at worst For me its been the level of exposure thats caused so many symptoms

2 Likes