Dr Jacob's Study published (2016)

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26868914

Am J Mens Health. 2016 Feb 11. pii: 1557988316631624. [Epub ahead of print]

Emotional Consequences of Finasteride: Fool’s Gold.

Ganzer CA, Jacobs AR.

Abstract

Androgenetic alopecia, the gradual, progressive loss of hair frequently results in psychological despair, in part related to changes in self-image. Current androgenetic alopecia treatments are limited to hair transplantation and medications that inhibit dihydrotestosterone, a potent androgen associated with follicular micronization. Users of finasteride, which prevents dihydrotestosterone production, report serious physical and emotional adverse effects, collectively known as post-finasteride syndrome. Psychiatric illnesses and personality traits, specifically neuroticism influence emotional well-being. Limited research exists exploring the psychological corollaries of post-finasteride syndrome and preexisting Axis I and Axis II mental health conditions. The aim of this study was to explore how having a preexisting personal and/or familial history of a psychiatric diagnosis and certain personality traits may influence anxiety and depression among finasteride users. Participants in this online survey completed the Beck Depression Inventory, the Beck Anxiety Inventory, and Ten-Item Personality Inventory. An important finding in this study was that almost 57% (n = 97) of men reported a psychiatric diagnosis and 28% (n = 27) had a first-degree relative with a mental health disorder, of this group 17 only had a family history. Nearly 50% of the men surveyed reported clinically significant depression as evidenced by Beck Depression Inventory score and 34% experienced anxiety on the Beck Anxiety Inventory. There were no statistically significant trends in personality traits reported. Results provide evidence on the need to screen for psychiatric history and counseling patients about the potential psychological consequences of finasteride. Prescribing clinicians should carefully weigh the risk/benefit ratio with these patients.

The “study” sounds like BS.

Most (if not all) of us are messed up because of Finasteride no other reason.

I had no health problems what soever before I took that drug.

Based on what he has been saying during the last years, I think he does not sound like a trustworthy doctor.

Somebody must be paying Jacob’s to discredit PFS.

Mark2012 - with all due respect, I don’t think this kind of comment is very helpful especially without any evidence. I really wish the guys on here were more careful with their words because it makes us seem like a bunch of conspiracy theorists. Let’s say for a second you are right, you are still going to reduce the credibility of our community by putting out a pretty serious claim without any evidence. That being said, I completely understand how angry this would make you as I am very angry as well but I still think it’s better to be more intentional with your language.

On another note, this article was likely published by Jacob’s assistant and the abstract alone is very very very poorly written. WTF does the subtitle “Fool’s Gold” even mean???

They initially write that “psychiatric illnesses and personality traits… influence emotional well-being” and then wrap up with “there were no statistically significant trends in personality traits reported.” There is no coherent message communicated here.

This has been brought up here before but Dr. Jacobs has previously written blog posts about successfully treating men with PFS but I cannot personally reference a single forum member that has reported benefits from his treatments despite being able to reference many that have seen him.

Jacob’s is not helping our community by trying to imply that PFS is a mental disorder.

Also he claims to have successfully treated a number of PFS patients yet not one of them has come forward.

In my opinion he is not be trusted.

This is a poorly written abstract. But Dr Jacobs clearly thinks that post-finasteride symptoms are due to ‘Psychiatric illnesses’. And now he has published a paper to that effect - which seriously damages the credibility of anyone with genuine problems.

I can hardly blame him - I don’t think 95% of posters have anything wrong with them other than ‘Psychiatric illnesses’. The number of nutcases he has seen will obviously effect his thinking.

Nice post Dr. Oscar.

Not read the paper. However, while I disagree PFS is not a pyschiatric illness by any stretch, pyschology and mental state/attitude will be the biggest obstacle in recovery for most people, such that it will prevent recovery.

The faster the mind can be opened to the possibility and power of the gut microbiome to cause such a catastrophe in the body the sooner you can get out of the mess. This is 75% the battle for most people, and 95% the battle for those suffering years to no avail. Can’t emphasise it enough.

1 Like

^
|
|
|

And this guy is one of the worst offenders. A total nutcase / hypochondriac. He has even interfered with genuine medical studies in the past. Unfortunately I really don’t know what hope genuine sufferers have when this problems attracts so many oddballs.

I saw Alan Jacobs. It is a shame docs like him exist. Who gives a shit if all of us had a propensity to depression. He is using pseudoscience to find some non existent correlation. It’s really really a shame that a medical professional who understands the molecular level changes a drug causes is even waiting time taking the prior depression angle. It’s really a shame. A positive attitude will not fix half the physical changes that have happened to me and the other guys. Someone really needs to kick his ass.

Ok, now you really have to be a total nut case to ever think about going to this prick for medical advice …

Oscar, you fall into the 95% pal. Good Luck nonetheless!

Not sure what studies I was meant to have interfered with. Who would pay out their own pocket to travel to Italy AND have a piece of their penis chopped off to ‘interfere with medical studies’. Complete nonsense. This is all very amusing anyway - I’ll stick to talking and helping people that want to be helped and are getting (or already have gotten) better!

2 Likes

Truly disappointed in Jacobs here. Sounds like he is now under the wing of Merck.

We may be mixing up cause and effect her guys. I don’t think it’s saying that pre existing mental conditions is the cause of PFS, I think it saying that those with some family history of mental illness/ mental conditions are effected.

Having said all that, not only is the abstract so poorly written and nonsensical, but i don’t think Jacobs or his helper, has a firm grasp of both the mental, and real undeniable PHYSICAL changes that can happen and did happen over night. Finally, I saw Jacobs, i never trusted jacobs, I think him holding himself out to successful treat a condition with no known or understood underlying cause is tantamount to fraud. And I’ll tell you this, im VERY close to letting the New York State courts decide that issue

He is saying that the mental aspect of PFS is not necessarily caused by Finasteride itself. He is saying it could be equated with prior or underlying conditions but provides no specifics or evidence beyond interviews and self reporting.

As someone who was a very enthusiastic individual prior to PFS I cannot overstate how wrong he is. PFS is a potent condition, it can destroy your mind overnight. It will make you a depressed person, it will make every single tiny insignificant problem seem like a impossible mountain.

The Italians already showed drastic reductions in brain chemicals… so his study without any raw numbers, any actual biological, physical data means relatively little in the context of the overall picture.

You’re right, Jacobs is well behind the play. He has only ever been guessing, personally I felt this community has held him in too higher regard just because he is seeing pfs patients.

I wouldn’t be to concerned with Dr Jacobs and his opinions. In the UK the NHS and it’s army of Endo’s have said for years that any man with symptom’s of Low T who have a T level above 8 nmol/L has depression and is basically nuts. Even when men have had a T level below 8 nmol/L they have accused the patient of being nuts and caused a lot suffering in the process. The NHS does not want to pay for a man’s hormone treatment and will happily send men in the other direction by playing the depression card. It’s not just hormone problems that get branded with depression but many other medical conditions. Dr Jacobs can treat PFS patients for depression and when they don’t recover he can blame the patient’s mind rather than look like an incompetent doctor. Those of us who are well read will be avoiding Jacobs. This Dr isn’t stupid he will know that PFS can’t be cured via treatments for depression. I say this with some confidence because I’ve come across Dr’s who are against treating men with hormones and are under great pressure to hold this opinion or know it’s the right thing to say for the sake of their careers. Jacobs interest in PFS will be either due to financial gain or to improve his career prospects. He has a bunch of data on PFS patients so there is nothing stopping him speaking with a Merck rep off record and offer to produce a paper that discredits PFS. Dr’s and scientists have been pimping themselves out to Corporates and big companies for a long time it’s nothing new. The Foundation will still continue it’s studies regardless of Jacobs. His study is based on paper-thin research it shouldn’t hold much weight and we should see it for just that. I have shown Dr’s various studies and they have pointed out which one’s are to be taken seriously and which are not. Study size and duration of study are very important factors in medical research. I don’t think something as complicated as PFS can be easily overcome by the medical community, this is a marathon and I expect more Dr’s like Jacobs will say negative things about this condition.

There’s no evidence that Dr. Jacobs is “under the wing of Merck” and to say so makes us seem like conspiratorial lunatics. If you actually read the article, these guys don’t say that PFS is not real and they don’t say PFS is really all due to pre-existing problems. They are trying to determine what risk factors may make individuals more likely to develop PFS. Taking finasteride for one is a requirement to develop PFS but there is a very legitimate question as to what differentiates those who do develop problems from those that apparently do not. The article was probably written by his assistant Anne and I think everybody agrees it is poorly written. The article is in a low end journal and will probably not be taken seriously by the medical community. They didn’t even really gather the data properly and what they presented is not compelling. One thing I cannot emphasize enough is that we need to be rational and focused in our objective of getting doctors and the public to take this seriously. To point fingers every which way because we want to bring down the people who did this to us is not going to work and will backfire. Unfortunately this will take a very long time. It took until this year for shareholders to settle an $800m case with Merck regarding their improprieties surrounding Vioxx. It would be great to see people locked up who deserve to be in prison but at least $800m is real money.

1 Like