Dr Jacob's Study published (2016)

I said “sounds like” relax chief.

No he probably isn’t but I was making a conjecture at his lack of insight into the condition, be it purposeful or just ignorance.

Take a step back PFS cowboys and don’t be so ready to accuse eachother of “building bridges that don’t exist”.

I get it. I am so angry at this system for causing this problem, abandoning us, and sometimes even exploiting us. However, I do feel that a lot of guys act in ways that they become their own enemies.

I don’t know what Jacobs’ deal is and nobody here does. He publicly says he’s cured all these guys. I asked his assistant to put me in contact with a SINGLE ONE and all she did is offer to connect me to some guy that is suicidal and feels alone. She says something like they lose contact with the ones who get better since they no longer need help. :unamused: At the same time, she said she hoped I was better since she hadn’t heard from me for awhile but I really just gave up on them.

I do think we should rework the message that’s conveyed on some of the forum’s official references to Dr. Jacobs. I’ll reach out to Mew about this. But really we have to do our best to remain calm and collected while we continue to fight. Slowly but surely we are making progress.

I am one of those his assistant is probably saying was cured. I had two consults with him, while understanding and willing to work with you. He never came close to curing me.

this study will be no match for real data with real numbers when the PFS studies come out.

this guy is just another doctor looking for attention.

i agree with soccerguy, someone should kick his ass

If you have any doubts about his intentions, let me assure you, he is a fucking con. He wants your money. He WILL exploit you. Wake up.

I don’t harbor any illusions or have doubts about the doctor. I do have doubts about declaring all these conspiracies as fact without supporting evidence. That type of paranoia, justified or not, will cause doctors and the wider community to consider us unstable rather than legitimate patients.

Accept what happened to us and go about trying to make it better in whatever productive way you can. It’s not an easy task but there is nothing you can do about it. A small doctor and his uninfluential article are not very relevant.

Not relevant? Are you kidding? This asshole just wrote up a phony article using a bullshit questionnaire on a dozen or so people to suggest that PFS has a huge psychological component to it. This guy is the enemy and he is relevant because he has two letters after his name and placards on the wall that make him a supposed authority that OTHERS will heed or listen to. We need to quash guys like this. He denigrates this condition while making money off of the desperate fools that go to him and dish out hundreds and even thousands of dollars.

A small doctor and his non influencial article are you kidding me!
Do you even know how doctors work?! They go tonpubmed everyday when they have doubts of something! Having some asshole publish a “study” based on a stupid questionnaire, can have impact for us in the sense that it is one more paper saying fin is fine when you complain to your doctor and he opens pubmed.

Fuck this guy im going to write him an email saying how much of a looser he is!!

This article is published in a low quality, low impact factor journal which matters to doctors. Secondly, the article does not even say “fin is fine”. It doesn’t draw significant conclusions because there are no controls. In fact, it says “there were no statistically significant trends in personality traits reported.” Studies published in respected journals by respected institutions will have a much larger impact. These will hopefully be coming soon.

projects.propublica.org/docdollars/
openpaymentsdata.cms.gov/

My new favourite websites!

$ 16 to Jacobs from Merck projects.propublica.org/d4d-arc … s/14250563

$ 5000+ to Goldstein

~$ 100,000 to Mohit Khera

~$ 25,000 to Shalender Bhasin

Many $100K each to Brigham and Baylor

Lol merck took Jacobs out for dinner

“There’s no evidence that Dr. Jacobs is “under the wing of Merck” and to say so makes us seem like conspiratorial lunatics.”

I guess a $16 lunch with Merck was the best way to present Jacobs with a brown envelope stuffed with reddies.

$16 is not even a very good lunch in Midtown. They probably bought him Chipotle. Good find, Oscar for researching docs!

The study seems more or less inconclusive, but does not attempt to disprove PFS’s existence. I say move on. Are there other endos in NYC that might be a better ally?

I found Jacobs useful for ordering the proper tests, explaining things. This was 4 years ago though. It’s possible he’s overbooked now and just winging the whole thing.

I’ve actually eaten at the Chipotle near his office lol.

That’s a comment on balding men, in general.

Is this a truism we are supposed to accept because it comes from Dr. Jacob’s mouth?

Sounds like a crackpot.

I don´t understand the conclusions. Why is he saying that most of PFS developers were before taking finasteride psychiatric patients like diagnosed of depression and others or have psychiatric family history, genes?

From my own observation on this forum and others most PFSers or simply finasteride siders (we) were normal healthy people before taking finasteride with no relevant medical family history. Is he adulterating the results?

The conclusion is platitudinous. It is obvious that when it comes with psychiatric patients a doctor has to be careful in giving medications which alter hormones and/or treatments that has to do with body image. Hence as he “ingeniously” says it must be weigh pros and cons. However, posible future PFSers are normal healthy young men which are simply worried about hairloss and unfortunately are given finasteride. Most men get worried about hairloss once in life when pre-40, but they usually don´t treat it with this medication.

Am I wrong? It seems like he is taking as pre-existing (before finasteride) personal psychiatric diagnosis what is not. Of course a PFSer is diagnosed of depression if he goes to a doctor, but we were not prior finasteride nor our personality was the same.

Results:
-“57% (n = 97) of men reported a psychiatric diagnosis”—> After finasteride, not before. Isn´t it? So Jacob now has realized that finasteride can cause psychiatric-psychological problems, bravo.
-“28% (n = 27) had a first-degree relative with a mental health disorder”—> If 100% is 170 participants, 27 are not the 28% of total, are 16%. Nevertheless, what do you mean Jacob with mental health disorder? If you take into account some factors 16% sounds understandable. One: If you are not really looking for pre-existing points and read what you want it is obvious that a father, son or brother with PFS can affect his family AFTER having taken finasteride. Two: Even if now he has read pre-existing properly, finding that 16% of people has a first degree relative with any diagnosis of mental illness it is not a big discovery as ADHD, dementia or anxiety are widely diagnosed.
-“Nearly 50% of the men surveyed reported clinically significant depression as evidenced by Beck Depression Inventory score and 34% experienced anxiety on the Beck Anxiety Inventory”—> AFTER again.
-Results provide evidence on the need to screen for psychiatric history and counseling patients about the potential psychological consequences of finasteride. Prescribing clinicians should carefully weigh the risk/benefit ratio with these patients.—> Results don´t provide relevant evidence of PRE-EXISTING psychiatric history in PFS developers. Results say that 57% of PFS sufferers developed psychiatric-psychological problems AFTER taking finasteride. From this 57% group 50% were diagnosed AFTER finasteride depression, 34% anxiety and the rest 9% other aims. The 16% of the participants said they have (pre or post finasteride is not clear) a 1st degree relative with any mental disorder diagnosis once in life like anxiety, a son or brother with ADHD, a parent with dementia… The same % as normal people. What it is clear that clinicians should be aware of psychological consequences of finasteride when prescribing it.

I think he is refering to The 97 n of men who had a psychiatric diagnosis, therefore 97=100% and 28%= 27n of men.

Yes, I know he means 28% of “psycho” group, but he is not saying it pretending to be sensationalist.

However, the point is: Why is he saying 57% had psychiatric PRE-EXISTING (before finasteride intake) diagnosis? Is this real? Did someone do the poll here and can make it clear?

Just posting what I read while searching google today:

Dr Jim on thinksteroids

thinksteroids.com/community/thr … 17/page-19

Please, if someone has an account on thinksteroids tell this guy off for the idiot he is

For the disbelievers , this jacobs study is already doing its “magic”.

I also agree it’s crap and really makes us look like fools ! Almost like it is our fault if we are in this condition. Nevertheless, it’s hard for me to look past the stress I was on when I developped PFS. Worst period of my life. I don’t think I was ever in a formal depression (not functionnal), but I can say I was really messed up. Coincidence? Not sure … Would I have developped PFS if everything in my life was going perfectly well? Who knows … so yes, maybe he’s on to something, but finasteride definately caused it !