Dr. Crisler talking about Post-Fin treatments, recoveries

Dr. John Crisler has posted on hairlosshelp.com about the following video where he warns against Finasteride use:
viewtopic.php?t=2480

Here are his comments about treating post-Fin side effects, from
hairlosshelp.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=10&threadid=84859&enterthread=y&STARTPAGE=2

Update from Dr. Crisler:
hairlosshelp.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=10&threadid=84859&enterthread=y&STARTPAGE=10

Update from Dr. Crisler:
musclechatroom.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3611&page=8

Update from Dr. Crisler:
hairlosshelp.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=10&threadid=84859&enterthread=y&STARTPAGE=13

Update from Dr. Crisler:
hairlosshelp.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=10&threadid=84859&STARTPAGE=17&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

Update from Dr. Crisler:
hairlosshelp.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=10&threadid=84859&enterthread=y&STARTPAGE=19

… Perhaps because Finasteride is an irreversible, mechanism-based inactivator of the 5AR2 enzyme (even though this effect is supposed to end when you quit the drug).

Even though the body is supposed to synthesize new 5AR2 enzyme when the drug is stopped, per viewtopic.php?t=1053 , perhaps in our cases we did not and those high levels of serum DHT could be from 5AR1.

Furthermore, measurement of the 3a-HSD-reduced DHT metabolite, Adiol-G (3a-diol-G) has been noted to be a good marker of 5AR2 activity in tissue per viewtopic.php?t=761

It is therefore interesting to note that two members who have been tested for Adiol-G have had low results, possibly signifying an issue with the 3a-HSD enzyme itself, which follows AFTER 5AR2, per this diagram:

viewtopic.php?p=7206#7206

Only further in depth testing for 5AR2, 3a-HSD and Adiol-G activity can shed more light.

I have already posted a response here – musclechatroom.com/forum/sho … stcount=18

… with links to the theory about androgen insensitivity, and asked if he knows of any researchers that may be open to conducting a study on us.

======================================================================

[Size=4]UPDATE: JANUARY 19, 2011[/size]

[Size=4]Dr. Crisler has posted comments on Hairlosstalk.com/interact forum. Below are excerpts.[/size]

hairlosstalk.com/interact/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=53882&start=120&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

2 Likes

Hey

I just posted in the same place, asking Dr John if he might elaborate on the success he’s had using high-dose TRT in post-Fin men.

If he’s had guys feeling better by taking their T up above normal range, that is huge. Hope he comes back.

Well Mew that’s good. Anyway I guess nobody remembers that these symptoms have demonstrated they can be treated with Xyrem, so I responded to Dr. Crisler’s inquiry of any success in treating the condition via e-mail.

Of course, the sooner these labs are conducted the better we all are, so I urge everyone in this community to read, know and closely follow this effort of investigation, and offer a hand if possible to push this forward. Let’s get focused.

Getting high on Xyrem won’t help much.

3pm, you recently posted that you’re losing muscle. We know that testosterone mediates muscle growth. How is a sleep medicine going to help?

I’m guessing your first answer might be: by causing me to produce more testosterone, or something similar. But we’ve seen enough now to know it doesn’t work like that for post-Fin guys. Thanks to Tamoxifen my T is now at 28nmol, range 10-30. I’m losing muscle just the same as when it was at 12nmol, same lab. Awor has taken his T up to supraphysiological levels, without any anabolic or androgenic effect.

It’s not T production that is impaired, it is response to T.

The only solution is some form of androgen replacement that works to partially overcome the impaired response. That is what I’m working on with my Endo in London. And that is why Dr Crisler’s line about having success with high-dose TRT is so significant.

We need to get androgens exerting their effects in our bodies again. You can take all the Xyrem you want, and maybe feel better, but you’ll still have osteoporosis in 40 years if we don’t make that happen.

Well, I say this is because there was no wastage or issues in my muscles at all. It was legitimately my balls working again, my body demonstrating anabolic improvements which I have not seen since before I first tried Propecia, and my brain fog eliminated. As far as my condition then, there were no I REPEAT NO problems with my body using testosterone.

There are peripheral problems at hand here, too., so let’s keep our minds open.

You guys are on a complicated and long-term quest for something specific and very hard to accomplish. In light of this event corroborated by multiple members here, you should in the least mention it (instead of expel your inward sadism and frustration towards others, and take the easy route of calling it a recreational excursion). We have differing beliefs on the matter and there’s no need to further engage it, but for the love of God, maybe listen to what I’m saying without dismissing every word. I know this current investigation matters - I’m only broadening the database.

Probably optimistic by a couple of decades. I have a vision of androgen insensitive guys hobbling about with frames getting gene therapy injections for ed every few months in 10 years.

Not wishing to be downbeat but is it not a bit premature to put this in the Recovery section when we don’t know of anyone who has got better this way? Especially when the doc told Boston he’d treated about 50 guys with ‘some success’.

clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00802321

There is a study going on To monitor the inhibition of 5a-reductase (5AR) enzyme activity at 1, 3, 7, 14, 21, 28 and 42 days following administration of a single dose of dutasteride (2, 3, or 4 mg) by measuring the change in blood levels of 3a-androstanediol glucuronide (3a-diolG) and the ratio of dihydrotestosterone (DHT) to testosterone.

That’s for duterside which inhibits 5ar gene I and II…Age group is 21-55 …

I think we’re getting to bottom of this… Solon your input is much appreciated…

I think our ratios got goofed up with taking propecia…thus causing these problems. Amazes me how these pharmeceutical companies get away with inaccurate data. Yet a drug gets approved and their stock price shoots through the roof…Corporate greed. …This company never bothered to help me out or anyone in this group…1000+ members now…Only getting bigger…When I started in 2002-2003 there was only 3-5 of us. The scientists created this drug, they understand it, and they should be able to help rectify our situations. I’m surprised nobody blew the whistle yet…Where are the whistlerblowers when you need them?

When we get better, which I think we will once the problem is isolated, I think we should all celebrate.

Disclaimer:

What I say is my sole opinion. I’m exercising my freedom of speech and in no way is defaming anybody.

Just a warning: Don’t too many of you send emails directly to the doctor without being his patient. If you want him to help us, sign up correctly as his patient, then you can email him when u want. We don’t want to drive this doctor crazy now that he is finally sparking some interest and getting a little more enthusiastic here. You don’t want to disrupt his focus while he is actively trying to treat many active Fin-patients. Thank you. And God Bless. We will find a solution! God Bless Dr. Cris! Peace

This is great news Mew! It seems he is finally taking an initiative. I am glad we have finally helped him feel he is as important as he is. AND am glad more and more of us are going to him so he has numbers now to experiment and troubleshoot with!
This mess can work itself out. We just have to work together!
Thanks MEW :laughing:

Blam Fellas! BLAAAMMMMM!!! WHO’S ON BOARD NOW! wHO’S ON BOARD NOW!!! sEE, THERE’S A METHOD TO MY MADNESS! iTS CALLED KNOWING PEOPLE!! A METHOD TO MY MADNESS! Thats what my Genetics professor always used to say!
I sat with Dr Crisler and talked with him for over an hour about all you guys on this site. ALL OF YOU GUYS!!
Who’s your daddy!!! WHo’s your fucking DADDY NOW!!! HaHAAA!

Uhm… Boston, appreciate your enthusiasm but please try and keep things at a more “professional” level of speaking… thanks.

I don’t think that could have been any politer of a reaction to blatant insanity, haha.

BTW - I will agree and say that Dr. Crisler is probably our, for lack of a better term, ‘champion’ in the endeavor of ascertaining legitimate medical professionals to get us the immense help our community needs, even if he does appear mildly skittish to openly enter these waters. It would be great if we got more and more in this quagmire to see him, as a means to push him to work with us in furthering our needs such as testing and crucial theorizing. Definitely appreciative of this man’s help, as I’m sure he’s a busy doctor.

Boston - without being nuts (lol), can you share any important things he may have had to say?

But what about us, poor eastern europeans?

propeciahelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2557

Mew, did you look at the wikipedia entry for Finasteride lately? Looks like some of the things Crisler has said about Finasteride have had an impact.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finasteride

That’s good stuff! How I wish that was written there a little over a year ago and I would have never taken this drug. Hopefully this statement and the comment about the Swedish study will deter people from taking this poison.

That was me.

I guess that when it comes to preventing other people from taking Finasteride, a few lines on the Wikipedia page is worth a thousand posts in this forum.

So I updated the page on the Swedish Medical Products Agency advice, and on Dr Crisler.

I assume this is what is meant by THF. Here’s a study regarding it’s relevance to 5AR function. Interesting finding.

He knows what he is talking about…Whether he can help me get better or not…I don’t care…Atleast putting some effort will do. Nothing to lose right?

More people should go to see him NOW.