Dr. Alan Jacobs, MD - Neuroendocrinogist, NYC USA

Alan Jacobs, MD

neuroendocrinology.org/

New York City based neuro-endocrinologist. Might be worth a try for those with brain fog and cognitive disruption from finasteride such as myself.

Best Regards All!

has anyone been to this guy?

Spoke to his nurse. He has helped guys with brain fog, headaches and memory issues. Looking into seeing him now.

i have been emailing his nurse as well. she states she has helped some people successfully - will speak to her on the phone today.

I have experience with several men who have developed a “brain fog”-syndrome on Propecia. This has often been associated with increased stress and anxiety. I wonder if the neuroendocrine link is via the blocking in some men of their brain’s 5-alpha-reductase enzyme (Type 1 isoform), even though it is supposed to block only the Type 2 isoform, leading to a reduction in the conversion of progesterone to allopregnanolone, a potent anxiety-reducing agonist of the brain’s GABA-A receptor. This decrease in allopreganolone is associated with increased anxiety, which can secondarily cloud attention and concentration. Since there are reports of permanent sexual dysfunction upon stopping fenasteride (Swedish package insert for Propecia 1mg) it is not a stretch to consider other brain-based permanent effects. I wonder if progesterone would help. I have recently seen progesterone given to men intravenously after severe head trauma with great benefit, which I realize is a very different setting. However, this was the first setting I have seen giving progesterone to men with success.

Robertino, is this a quote from someone – if so who/link to source?

Is it from an email from Dr. Jacobs?

This is the doctors actual response to me on his blog. He has his own blog and often responds to questions or comments.

Here is the link with the doctors comments taken directly from the doctors blog.

blog.alanjacobsmd.com/alan-jacob … l#comments

I’m “Roger” with the propecia complaint.

What’s also great about this doctor’s blog is that other guys on here with brain fog can register and post questions or comments on his blog. The doctor will answer some questions or respond from what I’ve noticed. He has treated guys with propecia brain fog issues successfully. Good stuff and positive news.

Hi Robertino,

With all due respect, how is your actual Norwood hair loss?

Armando

What does that have to do with anything?

I am wondering why Robertino used finasteride?

Armando

Armando, why did ANYONE here use Finasteride? Take a wild guess: HAIRLOSS.

This type of question is completely asinine and out of place for this thread, or this forum even.

Armando, with all do disrespect, go fuck yourself!

I’m a 35 year old male, who most regretably, used the powerful 5 alpha reductase drug propecia for hairloss for only 2 months. I became very ill on the drug(severe chest pains and breathing problems) and became even more ill after stopping. I have migrane’s every day in the back of my head and erectile dysfunction. Confusion and dizziness spells. Memory problems and overall spaced out ghost walking experience daily. I simply do not feel like myself(emotionally numb) and feel cognitively changed. Scary stuff. The symptoms have not subsided after stopping the drug. It has been over one year now off the drug.

propeciahelp.com/forum/viewt … ght=#16392
Yes, , my buddy who is on propecia for 10 years(no side effects) has feminine-like facial features and changes…

I don’t understand …….

Bro, you make no sense at all. You don’t understand what? Your talking jibberish.

This Armando guy sounds “fishy” guys…merck drone? you never know…

Anyway, the link “Armando” is referring to is in reference to a comment I made about my friend, who recommended that I try the drug. He actually did have and has side effects(sexual), but is in denial and continues to take the drug.

What does this have to do with Dr. Jacobs and “my” problems and illness from using pro-poop-shit???

Mew. Please take a good look at Mr. Armando’s profile. Perhaps I am wrong and Armando is simply following my threads in a very skewed and out of context way?

Armando. I used it for hair-loss. I learned my lesson the hard way. Stay true to mother nature and you are good to go…does this help?

I am one of Dr. Jacobs “brain fog” patients (after reading this site I figured I really needed a neuro-endo). When I saw him I was still on a low dose. Since then I have been tapering off and just recently quit completely. It’s too early to talk about my experience tapering off (so far, not great). As for Dr. Jacobs he was quite helpful. Although I think these issues are new to him (just like every other doctor) he understands both hormones and the brain, is quite smart, and seems very willing to learn (read the studies posted on this site, etc). If a few of us see him perhaps we can build some critical mass to get this problem more attention.

Thanks mlb for sharing your thoughts on the doc.

Have you also had headaches? I’ve had headaches/isolated head pain and neck pain stiffness/soreness since stopping. Headaches started simultaneously with brain fog one month off the poison, and now recently neck pain and stiffness.

Please let me know what Dr. Jacobs does to help you out and keep us posted.

Thanks and keep the faith!