Dr. Alan Jacobs, MD - Neuroendocrinogist, NYC USA

Luckily for me my brain fog resolved itself (while I was still on Propecia). I was on the drug for 12 years, missed a week, then went back on and the fog started the very next day. It took about 3 months (during which I had fog every single day) but then simply disappeard (after a weekend of heavy drinking oddly). I do remember having a few shorter incidents of brain fog in years prior now that I know the feeling but at the time I had no idea it was from Propecia. My fog did not include headaches - simply felt like I was constantly slightly drunk.

That experience (plus the fact that I lost morning/spontaneous erections over the past 2 years) scared me enough that I have since quit the drug after a lengthy tapering-off process (which didn’t matter I dont think - my DHT was the same on 0.5mg as it was on .125mg).

So I no longer have mental issues but continue to keep in touch with Dr. Jacobs because I want to keep a close eye on things now that I have quit the drug. I have been off for 5 weeks and it has been somewhat unpleasant so far. I have not run new blood yet but will do so shortly. So far I have not taken any medical action - I am just hoping my system restores itself.

Thanks for the feedback man. I myself felt miraculously "cured’ by binge drinking myself to oblivion. To my dismay, I always seem to come back to the scary world called brain fog land. I also have a very hard time getting “drunk”…this is near impossible for me…drinking enough beer actually makes me feel better mentally. Beer is one of the only things that makes me feel better; albeit temporarily.

Your right though…it does seem like I am always medicated or drunk every day…this brain fog is definitely debilitating and is certain grounds for personal injury. My goal oneday, is to create a website strictly for brain fog suffering men. Not to offend anyone with penile issues, but mental impairment is a far more serious problem.

I had a very encouraging chat today with Ann at Dr. Jacobs office. She states that they are seeing alot of progress with EVERYONE they treat. She also states that all patients have been very happy with their outcomes with Dr. Jacobs. And, that treatment isnt impossible but takes time. Her words, not mine. She says that they are getting alot of calls on PFS, about 3 a day. They are seeing a few hundred guys with PFS from all over the world. I made an appointment for Sept. 17. She took alot of time to talk with me. I actually terminated the call. I bet I was on the phone with her for 20 minutes. At the very least they are extremely sympathetic to our issue. Of course anyone working for the office is going to be biased but still was encouraged today.

Only down side is she hedged a bit when I asked what they could do about my shrinkage and that “could be a more sensitive issue”. But, Im still hopeful. I think Dr. Jacobs sounds great for those whose sides are more mental than physical/sexual.

God maybe there are a lot more of us (and lurkers) than we realise.

Where are all these people getting results? I know if i was getting results i would wanna tell the forum about it

Thats a fair question, Tim. I dont know how many of us here have seen Jacobs. I’d be interested to hear from anyone here who has gone to him.

Wow, 3 a day? I only know of a select handful here who see him. There must be a significant group of guys who lurk here and have seen him afterall.

That’s just a sales pitch.

That idea that Jacobs has helped hundreds of guys and none of them have come here to tell us about it stretches credulity beyond its limits.

Everyone is happy with their outcomes? What about PPS, who tried high dose TRT under Jacobs and felt nothing? Or Golf, who has been seeing Jacobs and reports no change so far?

It’s like the mysterious 100 or so guys that Crisler is supposed to have improved. They’re all off fighting dragons and living with fairies in a mystical world of PFS recovery. Or, they just don’t exist.

Yes, she said 3 a day. I dont know if she’s exaggerating or what. I asked her three times to repeat herself when she said they help “everyone”. I kind of was trying to give her an “out” since that seemed pretty wild after I have been speaking with Shippens office about PFS. They arent nearly as optimistic about treatment.

I think I will email him and try to feel him out from there before I make a descision on a doctor for treatment. Supposedly Jacobs answers all his emails personally. I’m seeing Shippen in a few weeks after my appointment with Jacobs. Jacobs seems more concerned with the mental aspect of PFS, ie brainfog, etc. My sides are more physical than mental. I think my depression and panic attacks are a result of what this has done physically to me.

Unless you have his private email it won’t go to him. In addition, he is actually quite busy with people other the Pfs patients - your probobly better off not emailing.

golf -Yea, Im sure he’s very busy. No doubt. Ann in the office said that he answers all his emails personally. If she knows thats not true then thats pretty unscrupulous.

Scaredmale - I see your point. Indeed they are a business in this for profit.

Definite sales pitch, there probably trying to cash in with as many members from this forum as possible.

Is there a single person on any forum who has actually been helped by one of these docs? What I would like to do is to contact some of their alleged “success” stories, but I’m sure they won’t provide the info. Maybe it is all a sham to cash in on desperate finasteride victims.

jacobs is definately not operating a “sham operation.” Doctors who attempt to treat cancer but do not know how to cure it are not scam artist, are they? You can’t expect him to attempt to research the issue and not charge anything for it.

i will say that he does not know what is wrong, however.

golf, in your opinion do you think it holds any value for me to see Jacobs? My problems are more physical. I dont really get the brain fog. I think my depression is a result of the shrinkage and ED I’ve sustained down there.

thanks

Id say even on a psychological level you need to go see someone as you are currently (obviously) worrying about this a great deal, and if he finds any patterns in blood levels that can lead to some type of treatment then it could be potentially helpful to all of us. I am not going to promise you that he can help you symptomatically at current of course - no doctor can offer you that - and if they do promise results then they are a fraud.

I do not know why Anne told you that all people get results, she is obviously exaggerating, although Jacobs said some people do experience results on testosterone -from his first-hand treatment. He said it can depend on what was wrong with the particular person before starting finasteride. I for example had a neurological problem, as did some others on this website, which could correlate with this issue. Of course, my doctor should have warned me of this interaction - but she didn’t.

Anyway, the choice really is ultimately yours. Its only 550 dollars, which some people will bitch and moan is “so much money” but in the grand scheme of things, it really isn’t - especially for your health.

Yes, I am very worried about this. That settles it, Im going. Thanks, golf. And, Godspeed on your recovery.

I still will see Shippen on Oct. 6. I have an appointment with Jacobs as well in Sept. And, I have a phone consult with Dr. Goldstein in San Diego on Sept 15. I will probably fly there for a few days and see him as well.

I wonder if anyone has ever seen 3 of these doctors?

Go for it Boston, if there not too far away you don’t have too much to lose. I think anyones first port of call should be too get thorough testing, if your with a doctor who isn’t like most bullshit endo’s e.g. Crisler, Shipped, Jacobs then they can analyze it for you, if not registering on Anabolic minds, Crisler’s forum is always useful because they know a LOT about lab results. Because I can’t get to any of the big names on here my main target is to find an open minded physician that will at least run the tests I want - this alone is a very hard task in the UK.

The thing is - where do you go if your results all come out OK? I suppose that’s the really tricky stuff for a lot of guys on here.

Golf

Obviously these doctors are good people for taking on our case. Their claimed success rates are the sham to me…where are all these people?
Do they call pumping stupid amounts of test. into you success?

Joe - I might very well see 3 of these doctors. As far as “treatment” goes I really have no idea. I guess I will figure that out when I go to see them. I’m not gonna languish on for a year or more without talking with people who have some experience with this.

I do like the doctor from Northern Cali. I like the idea of a more natural approach to this.

I really have no choice. I’m starting to go into acceptance here but I’m not gonna accept a shrunken tiny penis for the rest of my life without turning over all the stones I possibly can.

So odd that a few weeks ago my penis was improving. But since the crash its def thinner and smaller. The degree of which varies here and there. Praying that someday I’ll (and all of us) go back to pre-Fin self.