Dopamine Receptor

Handshake and a hug to you brother
Thanks for taking the time and heart to right that

1 Like

Why would this not work? I found the following info in an article which highlights dopamine can upregulate AR, also increase T via stimulating LH.

ā€œAmong dopamineā€™s other benefits for your sex drive are:

• Upregulation of the androgen receptor,2 making free testosterone and DHT more efficient in their actions.
  • Suppression of prolactin.3 Although largely an unknown hormone among most people, prolactin imbalance is a very common cause of sexual-reproductive disturbances in both men and women.
  • Increased rate of testosterone synthesis via stimulating GnRH (gonadotropin releasing hormone) by the hypothalamus in the brain.4ā€

Not sure if this refers to the volume (amount) or the effectiveness of dopamine (receptor sensitivity) however, any idea?

Iā€™m looking into and may experiment with dopamine fasts to reboot my brains reward system and resensitise the brain to dopamine.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Found this on another site:

"Several studies found that dopamine isnā€™t just a feel good hormone. It also promotes high levels of growth hormone and testosterone. This increase is mainly due to the enhanced expression of gonadotropin-releasing hormone messenger RNA (GnRH mRNA). This gives a direct signal to the testes to produce more testosterone. "

This might be worth looking into. Meth a strong dopamine agent brings my sex drive to insane levels

3 Likes

What are everyoneā€™s thoughts on Adderal? Dr Goldstein uses it with PFS patients. Iā€™ve never used it until I aquired PFS. If/when I do use it, I get an impact from a tiny, tiny dose. Iā€™m talking 5-10mg, no joke. I donā€™t use it consistently just a day here and there, but I am curious if it is something I could take at a low dose every day safely or if anyone else is? I tried Vyvanse and Adderal XR and both were way too stimulating. Only the tiny dose immediate release Adderal is the one I can handle. I think I had read somewhere that micro dosing Adderal can have a positive effect on upregulation of dopamine receptors over time.

Benefits:

Increased motivation
Increased cognition
Increased energy
Increased interest in social activities, reaching out to people etc

Cons:

Difficult to wind down at night even if I take it early.

Come down (1-2 days after) if I donā€™t take it again is brutal. Feel like Iā€™m walking through sludge and motivation is worse than baseline. Also depression seems to set in. I bounce back to baseline usually the next day.

Iā€™ve tried Modafanil and had horrific headaches from it. Horrible experience for me. I had done some further reading and came across itā€™s action on histamine and glutamate, so Iā€™m assuming thatā€™s the reason since I became hypersensitive to glutamate after developing PFS.

So the broader question is if this helps my dopamine issues, is it safe and sustainable to stay on daily?

ā€œWhen patients were treated with pimozide, a relatively specific dopamine receptor blocker, there were statistically significant declines in FSH and LHā€

Effects of dopamine blockade on gonadotropins and testosterone in men.

Hence, could resensitising the brain to dopamine (receptors) not only correct issues associated with dopamine deficiency, but also improve AR sensitivity and T production as presented in my previous comment.

Funny how everyone was dissing on my potential treatment then weā€™ve got lord and saviour Goldstein suggesting the very same treatments.

Daily use of low dose amphetamines is not neurotoxic. Meth however has been shown to be neurotoxic in doses of 10mg.

Meth allows free radicals to build up and oxidisation occurs. It does this because it blocks reuptake, releases wayyy more dopamine AND does it for a long time. This is why amp is also neurotoxic in high doses, blocks reuptake and releases (no where near as much dopamine which helps reduce free radical build up) and also not for a significantly long time.

The brain isnā€™t going to like receptors that reuptake blocked by stims that are releasing dopamine too much and too long, thats why cocaine is literally not neurotoxic. Itā€™s because it only blocks reuptake mostly so it struggles to release the amount of dopamine required to exist for free radicals to build up. Also explains why amp and meth make you insanely focused and motivated but coke lacks that effect.

Neurotoxicity can be permanent if cell death occurs but all dopamine drugs lower dopamine levels for sometimes months after depending on how much you used them. How well you bounce back and how quick depends on the neurotoxicity produced.

Cocaine for example, super easy to bounce back from. Never noticed and demotivating effects from coke, with amp and meth comedowns make you sit at a wall staring doing nothing clear sign dopamine struggling to recover. Three month meth abuse took me 2 years recover from, 3 to really stop feeling the super harsh effects. Neurotoxicity mostly comes from binging though, sleep and youā€™ll reduce the harm you do ten fold.

Itā€™s a little more complicated than Iā€™ve laid out but itā€™s the general idea. Low dose amphetamine is a concern for the heart but not the brain, even meth has been shown to be neuroprotective at low doses for people whoā€™ve had concussions. So itā€™s a very very complicated thing.

One thing I will say is meth fucks serotonin too. And that takes a LONG time to bounce back and is way more likely to be permanent. MDMA gave me the absolutely awful low serotonin symptoms when I abused it, I had to sleep with the lights on due to anxiety lmao. This is why rollsafe recommends once every 3 months for mdma but you can take drugs like coke weekly and so long as your heart doesnā€™t pack in you wonā€™t end up an etard.

Btw all drugs are bad thatā€™s why weā€™re here. This is a disclaimer so no one rants at me, Iā€™m just offering my thoughts and what Iā€™ve learnt spending years researching the mechanisms behind different drugs. It helps you understand why they produce the effect they do.

1 Like

Oh also modafinil is a wakeful agent. Itā€™s not even close to a real stimulant. It will do nothing for libido

1 Like

Forskolin also increases dopamine receptors as well as their sensitivity. This could be one explanation to why Iā€™m seeing positive improvements after starting supplementation with Forskolin.

Forskolin-induced up-regulation and functional supersensitivity of dopamine D2long receptors expressed by Ltk- cells.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s very interesting. In this video at the 2:11 mark it talks about the different variations of dopamine receptors (long and short). I have the C/C allele meaning I do not have ā€œlong receptorsā€ or very little amount.

I should mention I took forskolin and baking soda yesterday with coffee (increase camp) and I had sex and masturbated three times after that. I was thinking what the hell is wrong with me, i have never done that even as a teenager. This is just a one off so I will try and replicate this.

2 Likes

What dose did you take? @Stronguy

I see supplements ranging from 250 to 2100 mg

I took 500mg forskolin, 2 teaspoons of baking soda, 2 coffees.

I also took 300mg b6, 2.4g tyrosine, 1 teaspoon of mucuna, 30k iu vitamin A, 1.5g tribulis, 9mg boron, 10g creatine and 13g of BHB

Doing keto diet, only eating once a day and this day I lifted weights for 2 hours.

Forskolin and baking soda are the newest things I added to my supplements.

3 Likes

Do you put ghee and MCT oil in your coffee?

Iā€™ve been doing this every day and my mood and energy are improved.

Itā€™s basically keto/ bulletproof coffee.

Only MCT, I intend to try ghee one day. Scared of the taste lol

the taste is not badā€¦ Itā€™s not ā€œgoodā€, but itā€™s not bad lol

You say youā€™re symptom free right now. Was is the forskolin?

Why baking soda?

I think it was the forskolin, keto and mixed cardio and weights on the same day. Those seem to be the things that make me symptom free. In terms of the mentals the best improvement came from hot jacuzzi to cold shower treatments. Best clarity after those.

Was reading how it increases receptor sensitivity. I was doing it for a bit and felt ok. Not bad.

Biggest improvement was not feeling lactic acid when I did weights

How long have you been doing keto? I might give it a go. Iā€™ve also been doing mixed weights and cardio. I try to lift 3x per week in the morning and do cardio every morning I donā€™t lift as well as every evening