Differential Gene Expression in Post-Finasteride Syndrome Patients - Dr. Khera - Baylor

I by NO means am even familiar with this stuff
But to answer your question

A) our bodies, in all aspects, are finely tuned instruments. There’s a very yin and yang mechanism all over our vast as we all know

B) Due to genetics, some are just more effected than other in all kinds of severities and manners.
Just like why some are allergic to peanuts or other food allergies. Why are some ppl more prone to mental issues than others?

I’m not saying anything new obviously. But the fact that some would change overnight after one pill there could be no other explanation unfortunately other than their system was just not ready to take that kind of a hit. It’s tragic and shameful/evil on Merck’s part at the very least.

They owe it to us to fix it. Or at least provide all the funding we need. That’s at least something to make it right
Idk of anyone is in contact with them to provide that or I’m just crazy for having said it. But we all know it’s the right thing
But the same company that brought about Vioxx and Propecia WOULD NEVER do the right thing.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s just crazy to me. I agree I’m not saying anything new but I’ve talked to members who stopped fin went completely normal for 2 weeks and then lost their lives. I think like some other users have commented and even Khera that this gene dysregulation is a result of something

3 Likes

Has anyone seen this research disseminated amongst media outlets? Please post link here if so, I would like to at least give my measly clicks.

1 Like

It’s still “in press.” The full article hasn’t been published yet (I’m guessing one of the researchers gave the full article to the above PH member).

Also, a study as complicated as this is unlikely to get much media attention. Despite its groundbreaking nature, don’t expect much, if anything, from the media.

1 Like

I always said it was akin to throwing a wrench in the gears
Once one goes others will follow suit.

And EVERYONES reaction/recovery is different
Crazy

2 Likes

It is very clear that regulatory bodies are not our friends. Despite all the awareness, it’s actually EASIER to get finasteride now than a decade prior, thanks to “teledoctors” like Hims and Keeps. It’s apparent the “regulatory” agencies love unregulated capitalism as much as big Pharma. More drugs on the market means more funding, more cushy six figure positions that requires fuck all of effort.

2 Likes

It sounds like a progress, but I would be suspicious about M. Khera and the team who needed 8 years to complete this study. Actually the number of key genes over/underexpressed must be much smaller than 2000.
If I found that 5 key genes have changed, what I can do to hide it is to tell you 8 years later that more than 2000 genes (so 10% of the human genome?) are affected in some way.
Never give up.
The more pressure we put, the closer we will be to the truth.
And the faster we will manage to send to prison the people that have collaborated directly or indirectly with this crime.

3 Likes

what’s your point? The unfortunate key here is that a lot of gene expressions can change, even a big amount and what’s crucial the genes that control the gene expression. The often very sudden onset of the syndrome also really points to some “switch” flipping. This all is really not something at least I like to see. And yes I have been thinking for years that the post drug syndromes must have epigenetic relevancy and now this just gives more proof.

I was one of the patients in the fin group. I noticed the age range was 33-42. I was 31 at the time of the sample extraction.

10 Likes

Thank you for participating.

2 Likes

Amen.

Kind of concerned with error in data collection, that was mostly my point

2 Likes

I agree with this intuition.

Finasteride blocks neurosteroid production which act as a buffer between the body and various types of environmental stress. Environmental stress can cause epigenetic changes and changes in neuroplasticity so decreasing the buffer will possibly make the body much more susceptible to stress and injury across many different systems, which we see are impacted in PFS patients. A million different genes and environmental factors can make a person better or worse at adapting to psychosocial stress which is I think would be a risk factor for PFS.

We are continuing to find more biomarkers that are disrupted in PFS patients which builds credibility with scientific and medical communities and momentum will hopefully continue to build.

2 Likes

Cheers man
Takes guts

You must be like 80 now bc of the delays from the Merck conspiracy :rofl:

I don’t get it.

Sugarhouse,

Can you tell which is the current number of survey taken by Finasteride users?

Why we just don’t do the same study with an N of 100.
We have a lot of doctors associated around the globe, and today DNA screening is damn cheap vs 2013.

Regarding the extremely long amount of time it took to get this study published: Sample collection alone took 5 years: from 2013-2018, the long timeframe is presumably from getting the consent of 26 patients going in for circumcision. Not sure about the remaining 3 years but from what I understand, the authors were hoping to get it published in a more reputable journal. It takes at least 6 months for a journal like BMJ to even look at the paper, and there’s no guarantee that they’ll publish it. It’s unfortunate they had to settle on Journal of Sexual Medicine. This is groundbreaking work but top-tier journals probably only saw this as just a penis study.

2 Likes

The dipshits on Reddit are already having at it saying that the study didn’t have enough participants and it’s irrelevant. There argument is people within the age range of the study already had Ed to begin with. Not to mention they also completely disregard all of the physical side effects and neurosteriod inhibition.

2 Likes

I would pay the armchair scientists on Reddit no mind. I doubt any of them have much of a clue what the results even show, so their opinion is pretty irrelevant. Despite the study’s low statistical power, any scientist worth their salt will look at the results and realise they’re important. And the detractors will continue to try and obfuscate this issue until there are animal models with definitive proof.

We all need to just get on with things.

7 Likes