Differential Gene Expression in Post-Finasteride Syndrome Patients - Dr. Khera - Baylor

Well if a person can be damaged from just one pill, I think a study like this should be kept in mind for those that dont recover. This is evidence of adverse effects during and after the drug.
You only have so much you can look at at this point.
You could also make the argument maybe as your saying that PFS has less to do with the drug itself and more the person.
I have seen countless studies on Accutane that dont remain true when it comes to long term side effects.
Some have to though. There has to be some evidence.

Im also the one that said lets just throw out all the drugs, start from scratch and see what we have in common. Maybe we’ll go farther. Then we will backtrack to the drug and see why it had a negative effect based on our predisposition.

It’s strange because my own doctor told me he is already in touch with dozens of PFS patients, so it shouldn’t take that long to get in touch with 26 for such study.

Well, then maybe next time a study is going on I hope your doctor tells his patients to participate. Because when the Baylor study was announced people were not exactly lining up in droves to fly to the USA to have tissue extracted. You can go back to 2012 and read up how people were repeated asked to participate, because there weren’t sufficient volunteers.

4 Likes

Yeah, it’s nobody’s fault in particular, it’s just another signal of how disabled this community really is. There were also cost factors involved such as travelling to the study, accommodation, etc, which the Foundation and other generous donors/volunteers helped offset in some cases, but not for all. I volunteered to fly from Australia at the time but as I was in the first year post-crash, I was not working and extremely unwell, and the Foundation were unable to help fund the trip.

It is unfortunate, but I can assure you, there was nothing nefarious going on with Dr Khera and Merck.

I noticed my triceps and biceps are semi soft no matter how much I workout and no matter how hard I flex them, they do get bigger but are soft and kinda not connected to my brain as much as before, just like my penis. I think we should concentrate on all muscles and not just penis, as it is not only problem in penile tissue but for other muscles as well. Do all muscles work with AR receptors?

1 Like

The AR is a master regulator responsible for a lot important androgenic functions across the brain and body, including muscle function. In the Baylor results, they discuss the top 20 most significantly affected clusters among overexpressed genes, and one of those groups is “muscle structure development”.

Androgen receptors themselves are present in many of the body’s tissues, so for a simple answer to your question, yes. Some patients have questioned why only penile tissue was examined as a part of the Baylor study, when so many other functions across the body are affected. Penile tissue was taken by the researchers as it is the tissue with the highest amount of androgen expression in the body and therefore will be best to analyse.

Also, I noticed you haven’t completed our patient survey. When you get a chance, could you please help our research efforts by doing so here? It’s a really simple but important action that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

3 Likes

Some patients have questioned why only penile tissue was examined as a part of the Baylor study, when so many other functions across the body are affected.

My understanding was that the methodology was written to compliment the B&W study, which took samples from shoulder.

Hi @PeppermintPadthai

I’ve asked on another thread, but can you please complete the patient survey?

Thanks.

1 Like

Is there another study in the works that will give us more understanding on the causal mechanisms behind PFS?

Given gene expression per se is not mechanistic and does not imply causality, experiments with downstream processes of protein expression and activity should be undertaken to provide mechanistic data and clarify the results of this work . Further investigation should also explore upstream processes including the mechanisms regulating gene expression in the setting of PFS and identify risk factors for individuals, with a potential focus on genetic risk factors .

To me these studies are the only plausible path to a cure, since we have tried to cure ourselves with all kinds of stuff and failed.

1 Like

Any new study idea to prove this causality? And how finasteride was the first domino in it?

It’s a shame but I have seen this study mentioned no where…I was thinking or (hoping) rather I guess it would get picked up more and aired in mainstream media…Or atleast the smaller outlets we have seen discuss pfs in the past…

None of it has in fact the only study I remember gaining much attention was the 2012 study Irwig did that forced an fda label change to the propecia leaflet…And it was picked up by mainstream media News organizations such as ABC and CNN…Both ran pieces on the risks of propecia coinciding with the release of Irwigs study…

Unfortunately in 2012 I was too busy leading an active and productive life to set and watch CNN or other news tidbits as I just looked at that as a waste of my valuable time I could be running, out working or just enjoying life :grinning:

I was hoping this study along with previous ones such as the nuerosteroid study and high profile finasteride users such as Trump might bring this topic back into the mainstream market again as it did 10 years ago…

Sitting around hoping for things isn’t going to work ever.

1 Like

Study results are apparently too complex and inconclusive re how fin can cause PFS to be picked up by media. Im guessing even the scientists who worked on the study find it hard to comprehend what it all could mean re causality of PFS. Follow up studies needed.

Our best hope is that eventually it is discovered that the same mechanism behind PFS is behind other more widespread disorders and that we then benefit from their research, funding and medical interventions.

2 Likes

Sorry, someone link me the full study. Sci hub doesn’t work.

Never mind.

Hey man, how are you doing currently? Your sexual performance is good, can I ask for your sexual preference, has it changed along with using finasteride, have you preferred women before and now still, or has it changed. Curious about this. You can dm me as well, it’s purely informative, I won’t judge.

FWIW, I’m still straight. No changes. However, certain looks which might not have interested me previously, now do. From what I can tell, all that previously excited me still does. I guess you could say I’ve expanded my palette. Don’t know if that’s helpful, but wanted to chime in. Has anyone else experienced this?

1 Like

I believe muscle structure development was one of the top 20 under expressed genes

4 Likes

Yeah I do as well, my taste is changing, I can even like, or love be attracted to bigger women now. Or older women (30-40). And lean fitgirls don’t turn me on as they did before. Shit is weird I can’t explain it, theres no real structure or pattern to be honest. I can say it seems to be less about the looks and more about personality.

I call attention to the above post and the man that made all this possible

He predicted this exactly a decade ago…The gene expression was exactly what he said it would be…

My suggestion is to setup a recurring monthly donation to the pfs network guys…The results of baylor prove awor knew what he was talking about.

That’s what science is, you make predictions and then you test those predictions…He was right.

This has nothing to do with hormones and it is a dead end street…It’s a molecular/cellular level disease…I would setup a donation to get the next level going deeper started as fast as possible time is running out for a lot of us who continue to worsen by the day…

5 Likes

Totally agree. We have wasted awor’s time. We can’t let axo’s efforts be wasted. As long as everyone donates 100 €, let the research start immediately! Scientists are valuable assets,
No one will refuse a “vertical huge rooster”!

5 Likes