Differential Gene Expression in Post-Finasteride Syndrome Patients - Dr. Khera - Baylor

doesnt that differ from person to person? to my knowledge the lasting side effects can be caused anywhere from hormonal or neurosteroid inbalance to gene expression, and or anything in between

1 Like

My thoughts exactly

But Iā€™d hope that whatever the lasting symptoms are they can still trace it back to what started it

I mean that has to be the same for everyone but then as the event in our body takes places it branches out differently maybe

Different severities, different symptoms
I hope and pray they get this as soon as humanly possible

3 Likes

Altered levels of neurosteroids can be explained by deregulation of gene expression as a driving factor. Itā€™s most likely a downstream effect, not a root cause.

2 Likes

What to do you have to substantiate that?

Could it not be partly the other way around? Some respond well to hormone therapy and or prescr meds

I think itā€™s over most peopleā€™s heads and thatā€™s another problem is it is very complicatedā€¦

I think most donā€™t even understand what ā€œmolecularā€ level meansā€¦

1 Like

To simplify things: Itā€™s unclear whether the root cause of the persistence of the post finasteride syndrome is a

1. Disturbance in androgen receptor density or androgen/neurosteroid homeostasis

OR

1. The epigenetic changes shown in the study

A disturbance in androgen receptor density or (neuro)steroid can actually cause a change in epigenetics, and vice-versa.
The lack of causality is mentioned in their conclusion.

Nevertheless, further research is extremely important and I urge everyone who is able to, to set up a recurring donation to the PFS Network to fund the study initiative in Germany. This way we know our money is constantly working for us even when we as PFS sufferers are inherently going through periods of pessimism and hopelessness.

PS Does anyone have a link to the full text 2021 publication by Howell et al from Baylor? I seem to have never saved it :expressionless:

4 Likes

Hope so we find the initial dysregulation. One start of it all.

There are all the models of epigenetic regulation and the androgen receptor complexes promoting DNA transcription downstream from prostate cancer research. Easy understandable pictures like for a school book.

For the devil the model looks so easy.

2 Likes
1 Like

Hormones also affect gene transcription. So people claiming upregulating test or dht wonā€™t impact anything for anyone I believe might not be accurate.

These things might be solved, or treated with prescription drugs and or hormone therapy. But the extent to which this will solve all issues is limited.

No one fully recovered after taking Finasteride.

1 Like