Covid vaccine who will take it

which one did you take?

I got a very bad case of COVID last March, not hospitalized or anything, but serious lingering post COVID symptoms where the sensory nerves in my lungs went crazy for months and I couldn’t figure out why or how to retrain them.

I got the first dose of the Moderna shot last weekend. I did get pretty ill with bad flu symptoms for 2 days and I didn’t want to get out of bed, but I was prob more susceptible bc of prior acquired immunity and it wasn’t that big of a deal. I’ve heard Pfizer is better wrt to side effects but just anecdotally.

Moderna

I’m a bit nervous about the shots because of our experience with medications. I’d prefer a more traditional vaccine but not sure if those are safer as well.

I got my first shot of astrazeneca (vector). I had a bit brainfrog before which made me nervous.
Got strong flue symptoms, but was completely fine after 30 hours.
I fear cognitive sides of covid more than the vaccine

5 Likes

I got the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine about 3 hours ago. So far, no sides besides an achy arm.

2 Likes

We’ve got the full set of vaccines between us now, I think, unless there are some I’m not aware of.

I had the Astra Zeneca vaccine and felt extra tired a couple of days later, but no other ill effects.

2 Likes

I’m getting it, COVID poses greater risks for us than the vaccine.

@Northumbrian weve already got that. I must have had covid a decade ago.lol not the place for a joke but im not worried about something that fin already gave me years ago that has never improved

That’s fair enough, though as someone who has improved quite a bit since my initial crash, I definitely wouldn’t want full-blown ED again (and generally the idea of long COVID scares me a lot). However, I strongly believe that taking the vaccine should be a personal choice and that people shouldn’t be made to feel guilty for opting out.

1 Like

My last comment is totally inappropriate just venting at what this shit has done to my life. I agree with both what your saying and your point of view.

2 Likes

No worries mate, we got dealt a really bad hand, it’s natural to feel upset and angry about what happened.

1 Like

You’re amongst friends mate.

I think @Northumbrian does make a good point - as you’ll know, things that harm us around here can often do even more damage if we get hit with an exposure to another drug or in this case virus. I’m not saying that covid might be like taking accutane or an ssri, but I’m not saying it definitely wouldn’t have similar effects on us.

I read that covid was affecting balding men more harshly, so there’s that to consider, too.

3 Likes

Due to PFS its over 10 years since I last had the flu.

1 Like

Did my second dose of moderna yesterday. Boy do I feel like crap but I also feel great at the same time. I had a low grade fever, chills, and aches but felt happy for once.

1 Like

Respectfully: I don’t think you can say that because within our small community we have now had the full range of vaccines, it proves anything about their safety. The reality is we won’t know what the effects of these products are until 6 months to a year from now - at a minimum. There can be all sorts of effects that by their nature can’t immediately be detected or which only emerge over the mid-to-long-term, as the histories of Accutane, Propecia and the SSRI’s, all clearly illustrate.

For me it comes down to an issue of trust. Each of us has to ask the question: which can we rely on more - or, if you prefer, which is least unreliable - Big Pharma* or our body’s immunity? I know which side I fall on.

If others want to choose differently, that’s on them; there is, of course, a large degree of variance in how our condition affects each of us, so it really is matter of individual decision. But it’s important to be honest about the stakes.

*Moreover, a Big Pharma running through its already broken and corrupt system of clinical trials at breakneck speed; having been granted emergency use authorisation, the Pfizer vaccine trials won’t be completed until January 2023.

I don’t think anyone is saying that we know for a fact that these vaccines are 100% safe.

It is, as you put it, a matter of what you want to risk. Getting the virus certainly has the risk of having long term health consequences. This has been documented, and is happening to plenty of young, healthy individuals at an alarming rate.

Getting the vaccine and having long term health consequences might be a possibility (and I’m not trying to underplay the risk of that), but at this point, it is speculation. For what it’s worth, I think it’s an inevitability that some people’s bodies will react poorly to it (this is speculation), but that it’s still happening at a lower incidence than the number of people who are having long term health consequences from the virus.

At the end of the day, after what people in this community have been through (regardless of what end of the spectrum you are on), this is not an easy decision to make. I struggled the decision for a long time. But then I just decided that the best thing that I could do is lay out all the information that is available to me, and make the best decision that I could with that information. I hope it is the right one.

2 Likes

You make outstanding points! As someone who has taken the anthrax, smallpox, and COVID vaccines and taken doses of malaria pills, I know to a degree I’m paying for these decisions. As one toxicologist once told me, my PFS result could stem from previous life choices such as vaccines and other environments that are harmful to the body. I’ve realized that my genes, blood type etc will likely influence how I respond regardless and I’m not untouchable. There’s people that suffer from Tylenol ingestion for example and come down with DRESS. Yet, I take Tylenol and Mortrin with zero issues.

1 Like

Taken in good spirit, no disrespect felt or intended in my reply here.

I think this is a somewhat different situation to almost anything we’ve ever seen. The scale of the vaccine rollout is one thing, coupled with some keenness to find problems. That there are competing products could be of benefit, in that if there is a problem, there are alternatives for governments to use.

My heart sank when the astra zeneca vaccine was linked to blood clots, which later proved to be statistically insignificant, but that it was seriously considered and the vaccine was suspended briefly, despite there being very small chance of a link, should now be of comfort.

Obviously, the further down the line you are is one thing that gives you more chance of finding out what the risks might be, and I agree people need to make their own decision. If you’re able to live a covid safe life until some point in the future, perhaps that is worth doing.

For me, I felt that millions of vaccinations would be flagging something up, and also felt concerned by the risk of covid and or long covid appearing to be elevated in balding men. Balancing those things made me take the vaccine. I did feel nervous and to be honest didn’t feel like I’d get enough data here to make a PFS aware choice.

So there are things to consider and a choice to be made. There might be a balance you can strike between a real and documented threat to your health and one which may or may not exist, but I agree, it should be your decision.

2 Likes

Thanks for the super useful thread. I’m still in two minds about getting the vaccine while trying my best to stay safe to buy more time. It literally took me years to be where I’m and risking this through getting “long covid” or “long-term side effects of vaccine” are scaring the sh#t out of me! I’m afraid it’s gonna get to a point where “lesser of the two evils” may apply.

That said, came across news of Pfizer initiating human trials for COVID-19 treatment pills. These pills are said to be taken early on to prevent the onset of severe symptoms. Now whether this means the effects of current vaccines are temporary or if vaccines are not very effective against all variants of the virus remain unknown at this point.

1 Like