Court orders Merck Unseal Propecia Docs

11 Likes

“Merck settled before responding to the allegations in court, and Cogan allowed many of the Merck documents to remain under seal without conducting any analysis of whether they merited secrecy”

This is what I mean when I say the lawyers of PFS victims sold out their clients. All they had to do was keep fighting at this stage instead of taking the class action settlement that hardly even went to the PFS victims. These lawyers are dirt bags. Instead they took the easy money and let the documents that will likely make bringing additional suits against Merk easier stay hidden

This is awesome news though. I hope this is the beginning of the end for the drug. I’m looking forward to the new fresh batch of suits that will likely be initiated from what ever dirt is dug up from these documents

3 Likes

The truth will out.

8 Likes

Could this be slightly good news for us in any way?

Reuters is aware of the PFS foundation correct?

Best news I’ve heard in a long time.

5 Likes

Yes it could be good news. Don’t get too excited, nothing happened yet. However, it’s OK to feel positive about the possibilities. Hopefully nobody will suck all the positivity out of this, while we wait for the details to emerge.

While you wait, please make a member story. Click New topic, and choose the member story section. It’s one of our requirements for membership now. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This is really just how the system works unfortunately. Like any system built by humans, it’s imperfect and as problems emerge, humans rebuild them.

This is just how the legal system works. The lawyers were not pleasant people, by any means, but they naturally fit into the mold. It is extremely rare that any court documents are voluntarily unsealed because its too much work for judges and lawyers to fight over every last document and there’s no reason for them to do so. It takes the investigative media like Reuters to intervene and do their research.

The truth will out, but it may take a very long time, so I’ve committed myself to living out my life that best way that I can because I’ve decided that its better than waiting for somebody else to help me.

4 Likes

What’s the timeline on the info coming out?

There is no timeline. Merck will simply be forced to publicize the documents, then it’s up to medical community people on our side to critically assess these documents and prove their point that the safety profile of finasteride is unjustified.

1 Like

I wonder if this can force them to do some kind of action for us or there is no possiblity?

so what does it actually mean for us?

Does this mean, that once those documents are unsealed and available for the public, that it is gonna prove that Propecia causes permanent side effects?

It is not that simple, is it?

I mean, are there even any documents 100% proving those permanent side effects? Why would they keep them?

I still think that Merck will manage to go around it somehow…cause this could potentially shake the entire Merck, am I right?

1 Like

To clarify what is going on, Reuters successfully petitioned the court to have documents unsealed that were sealed in the litigation. They’re “supposed” to be made public but this doesn’t happen in practice. The documents are available on PACER I think. I haven’t checked them because I’ve been preoccupied with other things. Reuters will go through the documents to see if there’s anything worth publishing and he may put out another article on the remaining material if he finds anything interesting. Below is the URL for the judge’s order to release the documents and it contains a description of some of the documents that were unsealed.

1 Like

Fuck Merck. They can burn in hell.

5 Likes

From a lawsuit/legal perspective I think the significance of this may be that there is info in these documents that may be able to make it easier for more lawyers to file more cases. Specifically as it pertains to drug safety issues that the paperwork helps prove the company was aware of and concealed

1 Like

If we could get these documents posted here that would be awesome. We can also read through these documents for evidence of safety issues not put on the label

1 Like

Reuters will go through the documents fully to see if they find anything interesting. I haven’t logged in to download them yet but you can go into PACER and download them there if you look up the docket number on the filing above.

Further litigation won’t happen in the US, I would think probably unlikely in Europe. The system is just imperfect in that regard. A lot of guys don’t have realistic expectations about what is and is not possible here.

We’ll see

I bet there will be more US cases . But they will probable be class actions where the client gets screwed. But the more money merk pays out the better

Do you have to pay 10 cents per page?

no i mean when will merck be forced to publicize the documents by

1 Like