- Where are you from (country)?
- How did you find this forum (Google search – if so, what search terms? Via link from a forum or website – if so, what page? Other?)
- What is your current age, height, weight?
24, 5’ 11’’, 72kg
- Do you excercise regularly? If so, what type of excercise?
Regular exercise - Running (although not as much at mo due to shin splints), yoga, squash, gym - weights, walking
- What type of diet do you eat (vegetarian, meat eater, raw, fast-food/organic healthy)?
Very healthy, part raw in past week or so. Lot’s of vegetables/fruit, but also fish, brown bread, lots of spinanch
- Why did you take Finasteride (hair loss, BPH, other)?
- For how long did you take Finasteride (weeks/months/years)?
Trialed one week, got headaches. Re-started 2 weeks later for 7 weeks.
- How old were you, and WHEN (date) did you start Finasteride?
24, 1st Dec 2010
- How old were you when you quit, and WHEN (date) did you quit?
24, 24th Jan 2011
- How did you quit (cold turkey or taper off)?
- What type of Finasteride did you use – Propecia, Proscar, Fincar or other generic?
- What dose did you take (eg. 1 mg/day, 1 mg every other day etc.)?
- How long into your use of Finasteride did you notice the onset of side effects?
7 weeks in
- What side effects did you experience while on the drug that have yet to resolve since discontinuation?
Put an X beside all that apply:
Loss of Libido / Sex Drive
Loss of Morning Erections
Loss of Spontaneous Erections
Loss of Nocturnal Erections
Inability to Ejaculate / Orgasm
Reduced Sperm Count / Motility
Emotional Blunting / Emotionally Flat
Difficulty Focusing / Concentrating
Memory Loss / Forgetfullness
Stumbling over Words / Losing Train of Thought
Slurring of Speech
Lack of Motivation / Feeling Passive / Complacency
Extreme Anxiety / Panic Attacks
Depression / Melancholy
Penile Tissue Changes (narrowing, shrinkage, wrinkled)
Penis curvature / rotation on axis
Testicular Shrinkage / Loss of Fullness
Genital numbness / sensitivity decrease
Gynecomastia (male breasts)
Dry / Dark Circles under eyes
Persistent Fatigue / Exhaustion
Stomach Pains / Digestion Problems
Constipation / “Poo Pellets”
Vision - Acuity Decrease / Blurriness
Increased hair loss
Lowered body temperature
Other (please explain)
- Wounds taking a long time to heal (some cannot heal)
- Slow beard growth
- Slow nail growth
- What (if any) treatments have you undertaken to recover from your side effects since discontinuation of the drug?
Cycling Vitamins - 50mg Zinc, Fish Oil, various other vitamins (B6, 12), Calcium, Vit E, Vit D. Just started on some Pituity vits + Iodine.
- If you have pre or post-Finasteride bloodtests, what hormonal changes have you encountered since discontinuing the drug (pls post your test results in the “Blood Tests” section and link to them in your post)?
I had blood tests at 5 weeks off. Just had a second set at 10/11 weeks off. Will post when retrieved from my GP
- Anything not listed in the above questions you’d like to share about your experience with Finasteride?
I used to love life, I am determined to love life again
- Tell us your story, in your own words, about your Finasteride usage and side effects experienced while on/off the drug.
I will try and keep this as succinct as possible and positive in places!
I took propecia for around 7 weeks but stopped immediately when I noticed my penis was shrinking. I experienced no other sides on the drug apart from when I trialed it for a week to start with and had some headaches. Maybe I also needed to drink more water on the drug.
2 weeks after
During the 2 weeks after stopping my main issues were with sleep and ED. During the night I would wake to this rushing feeling in my body and I had to take a multivit to calm me down, I experienced this for around 1 week before it petered off. I also noticed that my penis had become slightly bent to the left. I don’t recall any other issues around this period apart from being absolutely knackered at work due to lack of sleep!
Following 4 weeks
The next month was very up and down. Some nights I slept OK (but not great) other nights no sleep at all. Some days my vision was blurry, others it was OK. The ED persisted but I could get it up with stimulation. Then, I was travelling abroad with work and I spent some time in the sun. I was around 99% recovered (apart from bent penis) for around 5-6 days. Then I crashed even lower, I experienced the rushing thing in the night again for around 4-5 days, was suicidal and had to keep taking fish oil to keep me sane. I also could not eat without water because my mouth was so dry. The following 2 weeks I was also completely impotent, but exercised 1-2 times daily until I got to the point I could get an erection again with stimulation.
From there onwards until today 10/11 weeks on
Ever since this moment I have been trying to build myself back up to where I was before by doing all sorts of sports that I have engaged with throughout my life (Judo, Squash, Yoga, Running, Weights), but the following symptoms still persist:
- Shrunken pulled up testicles
- Loss of nocturnal, morning and random erections
- No libido
- Episodes of penis shrinkage
- Episodes of flaccid penis, like a sock with a potato in it
- Penis increasingly fibrotic
- Penis bent and rotated at base
- Glowing in the dark penis
- Talking Penis
- Dancing penis - has anyone had this?
(… OK, so last 3 are a joke)
- Emotional blunting
- Loss of all interests
- Very slow healing wounds
- Mildly dryer / thinner skin
- Blurry vision
- Prominent red veins in eyes, bloodshot
- Some muscle wastage but appears to have tapered off a bit
- Increased sweating
Now, in all honestly, I could live with ALL of the above, apart from my eyes and ability to be interested in things and have enthusiasm. I don’t even care about the ED that much, I can live with the level of ED I have (severe), I just want my enthusiasm for life back and my eyes to clear up. So far, I have been for a full eye test and everything checked out OK (good news!), but they are still blurry.
Things that have improved are my racing heart (although still too fast at times in my opinion), energy is building up very very slowly, sleep is improving ever so slightly although continues to be a problem. My appetite is returning gradually, mouth dryness is improving slightly. I had some minor panic attacks around 1 month off and these have gone. I am not depressed or anxious, but actually relatively calm. I am not and have not experienced an abnormal amount of pain (apart from aching from gym). My legs and teeth were feeling weak for a while but they seem to be getting stronger since the last week or so.
I intend to use my private medical as much as poss to get through all this, although I recognise a 100% recovery is unlikely - but what do you think? I had my second set of bloods today with my GP (will post soon), I see one of the best cardiologists in the country tomorrow (just to get my heart checked because it feels like it’s been through alot the last couple of months) and my GP is recommending me to an Endocronologist.
I really hope that somebody here reads this and can offer me some form of guidance/support in order to tackle those symptoms that still persist for me, in particular the mental sides & eyes. I would also welcome feed back around lifestyle changes. For example, I currently work for a large blue chip firm. I am tempted to leave and find refruge on this small Island i discovered in the Philippines 2 years ago. I vowed to live their for a prolonged period of time at some point, living a simple life without stressors + plenty of scuba-diving and time spent in the water. However, I realise this is selfish, my family and 2 friends are now helping me through this - I wouldn’t want to just up and leave but face this head on - the question is how?
I welcome any advice, no matter how small, and hope that as I tick things off that list, I can offer support back to those on this forum.