Another MIT study on ATCC 6475 Lactobacillus reuteri Probiotic Bacteria Induce a ‘Glow of Health’

A couple things really jumped out at me.

Skin and mucosal surfaces of mammalian species are populated by millions of bacteria that impart diverse metabolic effects [1]. These host-associated microbes play a well-established role in homeostasis in the gastrointestinal (GI) tract [2], [3]. There is now substantial evidence linking various gut microbiota and local immunity networks with systematic effects on the immune system [4], [5], [6]. Disruption of the normal balance between microbial communities in the intestine is associated with allergic, autoimmune, metabolic, and neoplastic pathologies in the GI tract and other distant tissues [7], [8], [9], [10], [11]. Along these lines, experimental and clinical studies have shown that the dietary enrichment with certain ‘probiotic’ organisms activates immune and metabolic pathways that restore tissue homeostasis and promote overall health

Radiant skin and hair are universally recognized as indications of good health. However, this ‘glow of health’ display remains poorly understood. We found that feeding of probiotic bacteria to aged mice induced integumentary changes mimicking peak health and reproductive fitness characteristic of much younger animals. Eating probiotic yogurt triggered epithelial follicular anagen-phase shift with sebocytogenesis resulting in thick lustrous fur due to a bacteria-triggered interleukin-10-dependent mechanism. Aged male animals eating probiotics exhibited increased subcuticular folliculogenesis, when compared with matched controls, yielding luxuriant fur only in probiotic-fed subjects. Female animals displayed probiotic-induced hyperacidity coinciding with shinier hair, a feature that also aligns with fertility in human females. Together these data provide insights into mammalian evolution and novel strategies for integumentary health.

1 Like

Just to update this, this is a very well researched strain of human origin. Everything in that image has some truth backed up by research and studies.

Im not extremely interested in this particular strain, though I am what the right bacteria might be capable of.

So some know this is capsuled at just 100 million cfu’s.
So what if that was bumped up to the billions? and even more potent strains might exist.

https://www.biogaia.com/product/biogaia-osfortis/

It also elevates free T and inhibits TNF-a via elevating oxytocin.
Personally, Biogaia Gastrus gave me horrible insomnia which I think is due to the histamine elevation from the strain. There is a thread here made by someone who claimed full recovery from taking BioGaia Gastrus for several months.

1 Like

Has anyone tried Osfortis? Currently, it is only available in the states and is quite expensive for a supplement - around $50. I really wish someone could try it, because it gets a lot more expensive for me to import it or request someone to get it for me.

wow so the 6475 strain at 10 billion? how can they market one product at 100 million and this has 10 billion? Thats crazy.

Yes this just came to the US market a couple months ago, funny they market it as a women’s probiotic.
Theres a couple reviews on Amazon.
I’ll buy it.

More men have bought it, it actually looks like.

“Super potent probiotic, I have no idea about strong bones but this probiotic is great for your sex drive. Both my wife and I are really happy with it… it works for both us. Besides this I feel stronger then ever before, great product.”

1 Like

Hahaha love the review! A million thank you’s for doing this.

2 Likes

I’ll try as well

2 Likes

I’d try this, but it’s not in Canada unfortunately :frowning:

I have certain thoughts in mind when looking at some of these probiotics. Im just going to line some things up here.

copy/pasted from acne.org

You might want to check out this study from Penn State. Maybe show Tom as well.

Treatment of patients with isotretinoin significantly decreased monocyte TLR-2 expression and subsequent inflammatory cytokine response to P. acnes by one week of therapy. This effect was sustained six months following cessation of therapy, indicating that TLR-2 modulation may be involved in the durable therapeutic response to isotretinoin. This study demonstrates that isotretinoin exerts immunomodulatory effects in patients and sheds light on a potential mechanism for its long-term effects in acne.

There was also sort of a follow-up years later in France.

Severe Acne in Female Patients Treated with Isotretinoin is associated with Dysbiosis and its Consequences

The intestinal mucosa plays a critical role in the host’s interactions with innocuous commensal microbiota and invading pathogenic microorganisms. Intestinal epithelial cells (IECs) and gut associated immune cells recognize the bacterial components via pattern-recognition receptors (PRRs) and are responsible for maintaining tolerance to the large communities of resident luminal bacteria while being also able to mount inflammatory responses against pathogens. Toll-like receptors (TLRs) are a major class of PRRs that are present on IECs and immune cells which are involved in the induction of both tolerance and inflammation. A growing body of experimental and clinical evidence supports the therapeutic and preventive application of probiotics for several gastrointestinal inflammatory disorders in which TLRs exert a significant role.

some examples of a tlr2 type mounted defense
h.pylori, acne, gingivitis.
So now there could be tolerance to the point where the immune system doesn’t even recognize this as a threat (pathogen) or mount a response.

The main point is immune regulation or balance, just like hormone regulation, glucose regulation, lipid regulation and so on.

Theres also a certain group of probiotics ive been looking at as well, hydrogen peroxide producing.
Which could play a regulatory role.

The FASEB Journal: Gut microbiota regulated by hydrogen peroxide in lactation

just received my bottle of the 10 billion dosage. I wouldnt expect a review or recommendation anytime soon, meaning I normally look at some things for months at a time before coming to any conclusion.

Some quick thoughts on l reuteri (also realize some effects are strain specific)

Lactobacillus reuteri ( L. reuteri ) is a well-studied probiotic bacterium that can colonize a large number of mammals. In humans, L. reuteri is found in different body sites, including the gastrointestinal tract, urinary tract, skin, and breast milk. The abundance of L. reuteri varies among different individuals. Several beneficial effects of L. reuteri have been noted. First, L. reuteri can produce antimicrobial molecules, such as organic acids, ethanol, and reuterin. Due to its antimicrobial activity, L. reuteri is able to inhibit the colonization of pathogenic microbes and remodel the commensal microbiota composition in the host. Second, L. reuteri can benefit the host immune system. For instance, some L. reuteri strains can reduce the production of pro-inflammatory cytokines while promoting regulatory T cell development and function. Third, bearing the ability to strengthen the intestinal barrier, the colonization of L. reuteri may decrease the microbial translocation from the gut lumen to the tissues. Microbial translocation across the intestinal epithelium has been hypothesized as an initiator of inflammation. Therefore, inflammatory diseases, including those located in the gut as well as in remote tissues, may be ameliorated by increasing the colonization of L. reuteri . Notably, the decrease in the abundance of L. reuteri in humans in the past decades is correlated with an increase in the incidences of inflammatory diseases over the same period of time. Direct supplementation or prebiotic modulation of L. reuteri may be an attractive preventive and/or therapeutic avenue against inflammatory diseases.

There’s another l reuteri they market to treat h.pylori
I think it actually uses dead bacteria.
life extension might be the only one to carry the strain in the states, but this might be available outside the US

Pylopass™ is a patented strain of L. reuteri beneficial bacteria. This specific strain helps to promote healthy stomach flora by selectively binding with a specific bacterium that can affect the protective mucus layer and the health of your stomach.7,8
They recommend 20 billion of the dead bacteria per day.

couple other studies,

Gut bacteria may hold key to treating autoimmune disease

Defects in the body’s regulatory T cells (T reg cells) cause inflammation and autoimmune disease by altering the type of bacteria living in the gut, researchers from The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston have discovered. The study, “Resetting microbiota by Lactobacillus reuteri inhibits T reg deficiency-induced autoimmunity via adenosine A2A receptors,” which will be published online December 19 in The Journal of Experimental Medicine , suggests that replacing the missing gut bacteria, or restoring a key metabolite called inosine, could help treat children with a rare and often fatal autoimmune disease called IPEX syndrome.

T reg cells suppress the immune system and prevent it from attacking the body’s own tissues by mistake. Defects in T reg cells therefore lead to various types of autoimmune disease. Mutations in the transcription factor Foxp3, for example, disrupt T reg function and cause IPEX syndrome. This inherited autoimmune disorder is characterized by a variety of inflammatory conditions including eczema, type I diabetes, and severe enteropathy. Without a stem cell transplant from a suitable donor, IPEX syndrome patients usually die before the age of two.

Autoimmune diseases can also be caused by changes in the gut microbiome, the population of bacteria that reside within the gastrointestinal tract. In the study, the team led by Yuying Liu and J. Marc Rhoads at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston McGovern Medical School find that mice carrying a mutant version of the Foxp3 gene show changes in their gut microbiome at around the same time that they develop autoimmune symptoms. In particular, the mice have lower levels of bacteria from the genus Lactobacillus . The researchers discovered that by feeding the mice with Lactobacillus reuteri , they could “reset” the gut bacterial community and reduce the levels of inflammation, significantly extending the animals’ survival.

Socialization by bacteria

The gut microbiome influences behavior through interactions with the brain. Lactobacillus reuteri —a bacterium that naturally inhabits the guts of mammals and birds—has previously been shown to restore social behavior in mice, but the mechanism behind this effect remains unknown. Sgritta et al. used a variety of autism spectrum disorder (ASD) mouse models (genetic, idiopathic, and environmental) to see whether and how L. reuteri can restore the deficient social behavior in these mice. To do so, the ASD mice were given either L. reuteri or a control vehicle and were tested on an array of social tasks (on which ASD mice consistently showed poorer performance). Not only did L. reuteri significantly improve the social behavior of the mice, but this happened via the vagus nerve and was found to be dependent on oxytocinergic and dopaminergic signaling.

2 Likes

Hey @guitarman01 this is really interesting, I really want to try l. reurteri as well. The only problem is, there’s like tons of different strains as well as brands. How do you know you’re using the specific strain that the mice we’re using, and which brand should be chosen? Is it BioGaia? It’s so difficult to navigate all the different forms, and it’s been stressed to me before not just buy any old L. Reuteri off the shelf, because most of the time its the wrong strain and won’t do anything.

There’s really not alot of options atm, but I think that could change in the near future. There are plenty of strains being researched that arent commercialized. I mainly just look at what’s currently available and the most researched/studied to back up claims (unbiased studies)

Yes what Im trialing is the biogaia strain atcc 6475. A new product was just released in the US that’s dosed at 10 billion. So now looking at the globally marketed biogaia at 100 million hardly makes sense. I dont even know how they go from 100 million to 10 billion and still justify the two different products.
I do believe probiotics need to be looked at on a strain level for what a person is trying to achieve or target. It would be like taking a multivitamin for a b12 deficiency for example.
The whole thought of this possible dysbiosis would be based around specific species missing or greatly reduced. This has been termed in numerous studies, the most agreed upon seems to be lactobacillus deficient dysbiosis in women’s vaginal health.

Very cool, I was thinking about purchasing biogaia strain atcc 6475, but since I’m in the US, should I get the 10 billion! one?

That’s cool man. Please keep us updated with your progress if you wouldn’t mind! I’ve suffered with gut bacteria issues for 3-4 years now so this is of great interest to me.

So if I buy this it is a different strain and won’t work? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MXYP0TM/ref=psdc_3774071_t3_B07T751F26?th=1

Im not making any recommendations, but if you live in the states the higher dose of this particular strain would be the most effective way to look at this.

Something unique about this bacteria though,

The name reuterin is derived from Lactobacillus reuteri , which produces the compound biosynthetically from glycerol as a broad-spectrum antibiotic

Reuterin inhibits the growth of some harmful Gram-negative and Gram-positive bacteria, along with yeasts, molds, and protozoa.[6] L. reuteri can secrete sufficient amounts of reuterin to inhibit the growth of harmful gut organisms, without killing beneficial gut bacteria, allowing L. reuteri to remove gut invaders while keeping normal gut flora intact

The antimicrobial compound reuterin (3-hydroxypropionaldehyde) induces oxidative stress via interaction with thiol groups.

reuterin inhibits bacterial growth by modifying thiol groups, which indicates that reuterin negatively affects a large number of cellular targets.

here’s an example of a strain that doesnt produce reuterin. So you see why probiotics are strain specific.

Evaluation of Reuterin Production in Urogenital Probiotic
Lactobacillus reuteri RC-14

As a positive control, a reuterin-producing
L. reuteri strain (ATCC 6475) was used
. L. reuteri RC-14 was determined to be negative for gldC sequences,
as well as for the production of reuterin when cultured in the presence of glycerol

Would love to know if there are strains with similar benefits that actually reduce histamine instead of produce it.

Histamine isnt always a bad thing. ive taken various h2 and h1 blockers with little benefit. Even though I have allergies.

Histamine derived from probiotic Lactobacillus reuteri suppresses TNF via modulation of PKA and ERK signaling.

L. reuteri, is able to convert a dietary component, L-histidine, into an immunoregulatory signal, histamine, which suppresses pro-inflammatory TNF production. The identification of bacterial bioactive metabolites and their corresponding mechanisms of action with respect to immunomodulation may lead to improved anti-inflammatory strategies for chronic immune-mediated diseases.

Now I know I have talked about th1 vs th2 immune response (pro-inflammatory vs anti-inflammatory)
You might see l reuteri with more immunosuppressive properties, but at the same time maybe also capable of seeking out pathogens. So you look for a balance or immune regulation, which is something to keep in mind.

Is there a specific link I should use to get the high-dose stuff from America? @guitarman01

The reason I ask is that the strain makes me unable to stay asleep for more than 2 hours at a time and gives me hives. The former is a pretty bad thing. Insomnia is my biggest symptom and has put my life on hold for a while now to say the least. I was looking at L. Rhamnosus JB-1 which was initially reported to improve insomnia but following studies sadly failed to replicate those results.