alcohol

I always notice, that when I have drunk a good amount of alcohol that my libido goes up.
Can anybody tell my why alcohol briefly increases libido?

Alcohol increases Allopregnanolone synthesis. Allopregnanolone was inhibited by Finasteride.

Allopregnanolone may play a role in sexual behaviour.

viewtopic.php?p=9643#p9643

It’s not all about what finasteride does. The question was about alcohol and it’s effect is a well known effect that happens to everyone.

I believe there are various reasons for it but i don’t recall the specifics off the top of my head.

Drinking alcohol increases dopamine doesn’t it? i could be wrong here.

Alcohol has always been an interesting one for me; most of the time it will make sex impossible and increase penile numbness. However, as i have mentioned before, i have experienced two brief recoveries after night’s out drinking lots of alcohol. I think others have too.

UK,
exactly. you are right. it is the same for me. Actually, alcohol also increase my penile numbness (if possible at all at this state for me) and it usually makes sex impossible. However, I do feel more aroused with alcohol and it seems to increase my libido. It is really strange.

Experiencing a higher libido when drinking alcohol is not strange or uncommon.

yes, I agree with that plus an increase of morning erections after that …so I mean longer lasting morning erections.

This is true for me as well. Generally, when I drink, I get that “empty void” feeling in my genitals and there is no way in hell I could even achieve an erection despite an increase in libido. On a few occasions however, I would go out drinking heavily with my girlfriend and we would come home and have sex. My erection would last a long time and sometimes I would even have trouble reaching orgasm which is rare. This was mostly prevalent when we first started dating/having sex and I haven’t tried having sex while drunk in a long time.

I know I shouldn’t, but I love alcohol. I try to eat healthy but I have to go to my favorite pub for a pint on a regular basis. There are times when I stop drinking completely and I feel the same so I can’t really say whether alcohol has a severely negative impact on my symptoms. I even noticed relief from brain fog the morning after a heavy night of drinking. I will continue to monitor whether there is any correlation between the two.

Lately alcohol has made me feel better. I can’t figure it out. Alcohol has been my nemesis and triggered crashes and setbacks for over a year. I even limited drinking to almost nothing for a few months while doing a liver detox and felt somewhat better. Then I started drinking regularly in June (2 days a week) and had ups and downs. Now the past two weeks I’ve felt great after drinking Fridays and Saturdays. VERY VERY STRANGE.

Same here. Same here. I don’t really drink, but whenever I have had a couple of glasses of wine, I have felt really good the day after with no exception.

When I get drunk I don’t get “drunk” in the same way I used to… I feel different. When I used to get really drunk I would get the “spinning” sensation. Don’t get that anymore no matter what I do.

white wine is particularly good by the way. I am now drinking it quite regularly (maybe one glass every other night), it is not negatively impacting my symptoms but definitely raising erection frequency, mainly the morning/day after

Mew has posted about this numerous times. It is because fin blocked the neurosteroid allopregnalone’s pathway.

[ADMIN CENSORED FOR SECURITY PURPOSES] is particularly interested in our condition and actively involved in research. I have spoken with her many times and she actually did a case study on me. So far she is the only researcher/doctor I spoke with who actually appeared interested in this side effect all of and by itself.

She also mentioned she was extremely impressed by my knowledge of endocrinology and particularly androgen metabolism. I told her, “Well when your life gets destroyed by something like this, you tend to seek out answers pretty adamantly.”

While this may be true while on fin, how can you be sure that it is true also off fin?

If fin did this - then why isn’t every man who takes fin experiencing the same problems?

We aren’t even on the drug anymore so it’s certainly not that simple

When the pathway for a neurologically necessary substance is inhibited it can waterfall. We don’t know the full extent of finasteride’s actions in the brain, only that it blocked three substances that the brain needs actively past the blood brain barrier.

If the nerves aren’t getting what they need it’s possible that they become damaged.

So some people feel a bit better from alcohol due to increased allopregnalone synthesis but in the long run it’s not sustainable or the body down regulated it’s production similar to a body adjusting to new steroid levels. Or, as awor’s theory suggests, the body became hypersensitive and then shut down, and alcohol somehow affects this. Take your pick.

Hi, BP, same for me, and I miss the spinning !

At the same time I also don’t feel the same pulsion towards a beer or a glass of alcohol (well, I was not a alcoholic, but I liked to go for a drink or five not that long ago).

And all that happened long after I quit finasteride, all along with my other sexual symptoms worsening.

I can’t believe any of you guys are still messing around with alcohol. I could have one drink and feel absolutely awful the following day, so I never ever drink any more. I just let my friends laugh at me and make fun of me. I’t much less painful than the agony I feel the day after drinking.

I concur… I certainly feel “off” after drinking…