Acetyl-l-carnitine propionyl-l-carnitine

I had an appointment with Dr. Crisler the last days.
I told him I was off fin since 7 years now with hardly any recovery regarding the sexual functions (libido, ED).
I sent him all my bloodwork previously without any remarkable results; hence all levels seem to be in range or indeed pretty good.
I am anyways more the opinion that the cause is something neurological rather than something hormonal (don’t know if these areas can be seperated however).
I will have the Rheinlab test done the next days and also my AdiolG level checked and am going to post this here again.
In the meantime Dr. Crisler wants me to take acetyl-l-carnitine & propionyl-l-carnitine (2g each/day). This stuff is fucking expensive but ok; i’ll do it for the next months and keep you updated on that.
Some studies show the effectiveness of these substances for nerve protection and helping the ED issue. People who suffer from for example diabetes with peripherel nerve damage can benefit from these substances.
Further, it seems that Acetyl-l-carnitine and propionyl-l-carnitine cross the blood-brain barrier and affect the expression of NGF (nerve growth factors) receptors and therefore help with cognitive functions as well, maybe even in nerve regeneration (however, there are not so many published articles who can really confirm this, yet).

Take care!

Hi @finsucks,

I know this post was a while agao, but how did you get on with the L Carnitine. Did you have any improvement?

Hi everyone,

I’ve been taking L-Carnitine for about a month. I think it is helping. Nothing dramatic, but I have noticed a few positive affects. The weird thing is that it is giving me a few spots, and so maybe its making my skin more oily and so might be good for people experiencing very dry skin.

2 Likes

what dosage are u using daily?
i already have it ordered and should get it quite soon

whats the purpose u use it?

I’m taking 250mgs a day. I read some recommendations on the forum about it. I’ve noticed I feel a little better mentally taking it, and some improvement in sexual symptoms, but its hard to know how much affect it is having.

I think this topic is about a different form of Carnitine to the one that both @Ukguy82 and I are taking. I’m not 100% on that as it seems there are a few carnitines around.

The stuff I’m taking (and I believe Ukguy82) is this:

Which makes no mention of the Acetyl in the name mentioned in this topic.

I’m taking the full 500mg tablet daily and have been doing so for over a month now.

This article (shared with me by @Pete1989 ) https://www.themodernmanmarket.com/home/2016/8/30/l-carnitine-l-tartrate-your-androgen-receptors-love-this-supplement

Convinced me to give it a try. The article suggests higher doses than I am using.

For what it’s worth, I noticed a general improvement in my condition and when I skipped a couple of days I felt much worse.

This is not entirely unheard of for me so it could be coincidental but I’m sticking with it for a while since my general condition is improving and I’m not going to change anything for a few months as long as this continues.

3 Likes

I’m currently taking L-Cartinine Tartrate, there isn’t too big of a difference between that and Acetyl except for the way they are metabolized (LCartinine is metabolized in the fat, where as Acetyl is metabolized in the blood-brain barrier). L-Cartinine has stronger effects when combined with exercising.

My own personal experience has been positive, I notice that I feel much better mentally and sexually consuming 500mg-1g per day. This is the one AA I have kept constant throughout the past few months experimenting with different combinations because I see and feel the physical effects.

1 Like

Has anyone tried this combination of the two L carnitines? WebMD seems to be somewhat positive on them, but it says they take months to work: