A warning about SAMe, methylcobalamin, and high-dose B vitamins

For what it’s worth, I used to slam energy drinks full of megadoses of B vitamins and felt no worse for it. Then, read about heart problems and neuropathy being associated with high doses of B supplementation and cut back.

Also, remember I took SAMe in combo with B12, but others with post-drug syndrome have mentioned troubles with B12 alone.

Have you considered starting with an intermediate dose? Something that’s only 10s of times more than the RDA instead of 100s of times more?

I think it is very important to do a genetic test before you throw everything into your body. I did and sometimes still do that mistake myself. But after doing a genetic test on mthfr genetics uk and let the results run through nutrahacker, I got a list of do´s and dont´s. It clearly says “no methly donors” like methy b12. But Hydroxocobalamin is ok because your body can convert it into what it needs. Also it says no estrogens, no androgens etc. I think its complicated. And I realized I feel the best when I dont take anything. Its weird.

I took SAM-E just 5 days ago and woke up with a heavy migraine and felt and still feel like shit 5 days later.

Even hydroxocobalamin reduces my sleep capacity–down to 2 hours. It’s always caused me insomnia though, even before PFS. What gives?

High dose folate almost always increases my erectile strength methyl b12 makes me a little anxious but not the hydroxycobalamine

I inject me hydroxocobalamin sometimes daily sometimes weekly. B Vitamins give me often times histamine issues or migraine. But I still take it because my genetic test shows mthfr problems. Also slow comt.

You can not simply throw in everything you read. You have to do a genetic check. Sam e made me worse and often times folic acid in active or inactive form.

Are there links to the acne org posts the op means? Would like to read what they do and what it affected.

What if I had taken so much vitamin B12 and B6

I kind of regret it

Sorry for the late response.
Not posting a link, but searching “repairing long-term damage from Accutane” will take you to where this was discussed and you can search for the pertinent conversations within the 750+ pages of unorganized posts there. It’s pretty much the worst of the worst this site ever had to offer rolled into one thread spanning 10 years…

It was far from the case that I blindly threw massive amounts of methylation supplements into my system. This decision was based on methylation profiling of my 23andMe data from Genetic Genie. Not the most reputable method, but something all the other cool PAS kids were doing around 5 years ago and a few said they benefited from it as far as decreasing fatigue and lifting mood.

I noticed you mentioned some side-effects, but didn’t mention any benefits from the hydroxycobalamin injections?

hi @Dubya_B thanks for posting this. Im new on this forum. Topical Finastride sufferer. Just want a quick help/insight from you. So i crashed on Fin in 2014 (6 years ago). I had recovered a bit over the last 6 years, never had mental sides - insomnia, brain fog, blurry vision etc. Had the sexual sides but it was seeing improvement. Then in 2020 i applied some herbal ointment on my genitals - supposed to pump blood to the penis like how minidoxil does to hair - after 3 days I crashed like anything - have insomnia now - total impotence i guess , dry skin/mouth , worse is swollen lymphnodoes around ears. This is has continued for a week now. I immediately did a 5 day water fast since it was too hard to take. So feeling slightly better but no significant improvements.

Before this i was quite hungry all the time, anxious and could sleep for hours !

Considering that you had a crash where you faced similar symptoms - and it got back to previous baseline 4-5 months, did you eat any different ? or did you eat normally ? let me know - quite worries as to how long this can last - and any tips to speed up my recovery to previous baseline or let the body heal itself ?

Oh jeesh. Sorry to hear that. What was in the ointment? There was another member here who said he crashed after applying a product containing rutin to his genitals, I think with the intention of improving bloodflow.

To be honest, it took a little over a year before I felt “mostly” recovered from this episode and stable. At the 4-5 month mark I began having few-day stretches of doing relatively good, but they didn’t last. My diet didn’t change but I lost 15 lbs during the first 3 months. 3 different people made unprompted comments that I looked sick/skinny during this time.

I tried niacin and a few different amino acids during this time, but they didn’t help. It was more a matter of just surviving the whole ordeal than having any sort of control over it.

Maybe your doctor could prescribe you something that’s not an SSRI that could help you be calm and sleep until the underlying problem improves?

I took methyl-b12 this morning and I’ve felt like shit all day. Not taking it ever again. Is b6 safe though?

b12 is a pro androgen so it will crash you just like creatine and excessive lifting will.

1 Like

Vitamin B6, or pyridoxine, is unique in that either a deficiency or an excess can cause a neuropathy. Pyridoxine is readily available in the diet and dietary deficiency of B6 is rare. Humans are not able to synthesize B6, so dietary intake is essential. After absorption, pyridoxine is converted into pyridoxal phosphate which is an important co-factor in numerous metabolic reactions. The RDA for pyridoxine is 1.3 mg daily with the upper limit of 100mg daily[2]. Doses of 50mg to 100mg of vitamin B6 should mainly be used in certain conditions such as pyridoxine deficient seizures and patients taking certain medications to avoid toxicity.

There are anecdotal accounts of neuropathies from B6 occurring at doses as low 25mg daily.
If you ask a supplement company or many alternative health practitioners, they will claim there is no such thing as too much of any of the B-vitamins. Yeah, right.

Hmm. That’s news to me. Thanks for mentioning it.

No idea, like you said he was a quack doctor and in my desperation I took it. Never again. Ya I’ve lost a lot of weight as well in a matter of weeks, it’s like overnight something snaps out of your body. But then I also did a 5 day water fast + now doing a 3 day veggie fast. I feel better in some ways. Things that still bother me - joint pains, insomnia, dry skin, loss of appetite. And ofcourse worst is the zig-zig recovery , yesterday I had no joint pain , today I have a bad one.

@Dubya_B do you remember which post is that ? Where the guy crashed like I did after applying a stimulant , please redirect me to the post if your memory serves you well

I wouldn’t call it a stimulant. His member name is @Demon and he posted about it in several different topics.

https://forum.propeciahelp.com/search?q=rutin

His member story:

It appears he actually used 2 different products containing ingredients with strong anti-androgenic effects.

So what’s the final result for the B Vitamins? Should we take or not? There is plenty of comments I didn’t get the result.

B12 is a pro-androgen supplement, so it can, and will, make PFS patients feel like shit!

I’m not too concerned about the risk of general sides such as neuropathy of b6, as much as I’m concerned about how it affects our hormonal system. I’m just wondering because many users here have had success with b6 +l-histitide, which the latter is in this drink I take called “amino energy” that really helps quite a bit. (although it also has 300mg of caffeine)

The supplement that made me feel like shit has 25,000% the daily intake of b12. I agree that high doses of b vitamins is ridiculous.

1 Like

hi guys, small update, after about 4 weeks i feel better - am i back to my pre-crash level ? nope not at all. but its impossible to miss the positives compared to what i was 4 weeks ago. the only reasons im posting this is because i know someday a person whos going to be in my shoes is going to look for hints will he ever get better after a terrible crash - i felt the same way 4 weeks ago. I want to tell you, yes. will you be 100% ok - i don’t know becuase im also trying to find that out. but don’t lose hope. crashes get better. i have completely changed my diet since the crash - i did 6 day water fast and then ate only green veggies. Now im having food in small quanitities. Zero sugar and grain. My sleep pattern has become better. No more insomnia feeling but its not completely gone. Back pain is gone. Joint pain still there but not as severe. Muscle stiffness is also still present. Also i had 1 erection ! which was a pleasant suprise. But overall libido is still low. I will update more. I’m positive i will get better. And this time i’m trying to fight this overall condition through diet & lifesytle changes. Will keep you posted on my zig-zag recovery.

Should one cup of coffee fine occasionally

Crashed from a monster energy drink, quess what it contains Vitamin Bs

1 Like