A warning about SAMe, methylcobalamin, and high-dose B vitamins

Do you mean all vitamins/minerals? I tried many after B6 toxicity to improve things.

I certainly wouldnt include everything in the class of supplementing vitamins and even more in minerals as doing harm. Maybe high doses of methylation vitamins like B12, B6,… are not a good idea, but not everything is bad. Personally, I can say only the opposite and I have only very positive experience with e.g. Magnesium L Threonate (MagTein), Vitamin C,…

Methyl B’s and K2. Dunno about vitamin A, as far as I know Accutane is basically huge dose of vitamin A, so that should be bad too. My advice would be if you want vitamins eat you veggies and fruits, simple as that!

Janie, please fill out the Survey! Its important, thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey Janie. Sad to say there isn´t an easy fix for this ´´2nd crash´´ we experience on these methyl donors. Only hope is that @Dubya_B said that it got less worse overtime for him. I am now 3 months out, almost, and honoustly, except from the extremely wired feeling all the time it didn’t get better. I know this was the case for Dubya too in month 3 so I still hope for some natural recovery from this. It’s really terrible, because it really feels as if u took a new drug again, and we just took some supplements. Wish u good luck.

2 Likes

I am experimenting with high dose niacin. After 1g per day it makes me little depressive but relaxed.

Yes. Did the same to me. Active methyl increases ur dopamine- serotonine etc. This can cause speediness etc. Decreasing it with niacin can make u more relaxed but also more depressed, because u decrease methyl and thereby the serotonine-dopamine etc.

1 Like

This is true. The “wired” feeling and derealization improved long before the insomnia. I would say it is over for me, over a year later, but still have nights where getting more than 5 hours sleep is a struggle. I’m still feeling an effect from it.

1 Like

Another woman on the PSSD forum I warned about B12, decided to do it, and became worse. Also another guy from the PSSD groupsapp took a multi B supplement he had laying around 2 days ago, once, and he crashed too. Same wired feeling etc. It’s incredible how we react to these kind of things. I am still wondering what the exact mechanism could be. Thinking it is worsening of silencing might me be a too simplistic of a thought, especially with one pill. But really, avoid these methyl donors at all cost. Not worth the risk at all.

2 Likes

Dear brother, i agree but there is this with my situation, i have restored my libido, visual lust and refractory period with aromatase inhibition but, it did not helped with my ED.
On ed side there are two supplements and one anti-depressant helped me a lot. Methylphenidate XR, Methlyfolate 10mg and Niacin 500 mg per day really helped me. I really do not understand how it happened because as you said i expected to become worse.
Paradoxically, esspacially night time my erections became fuller and harder.

i increased niacin to 1.5g per day because, it binds GABA receptors, it is a Positive allosteric modulator also niacin really helps me with joint pain caused by exemestane.
Methylfolate boosts every neurotransmitter in the brain but, niacin channels more tryptophan to Serotonin pathway so in fact i should be worse on it but opposite is happening.

Also methyl-b12 makes me anxious and nervous i really prefer adenosly-cobalamine or hydroxycobalamine.

1 Like

Thx, done!

1 Like

Thought an update was past due. After 14 months (around mid-October) I had returned to baseline in every aspect. Maybe sexual function is worse than before taking the Me-B12 and SAMe, but that was on the decline anyways. It’s over finally.

1 Like

I was get recommended vitamin B complex for the same pfs patient in my country. He said he escaped four years of pfs using vitamin B. I was surprised that it worked positively on him. Of course I believe in the possibility of worsening. I will not use vitamin B.

1 Like

Sam-e is what triggered my PSSD

1 Like

I might’ve asked this in the past but I forgot what the response was to it. Would taking methyl B12 at 250 mcg daily, the RDA, be problematic for us?

Who knows. The only way to find out if it would be problematic for you would be to try it, but then it might be too late. Keep in mind, that’s still a very high dose according to established RDA values.

Oops, the RDA is 2.4 mcg B12 daily for adults. however due to poor absorption rates (at least of cyanocobalamin), we could only take in 1.5 to 2 mcg + 1% of B12 per meal orally according to this explanation: https://nutritionfacts.org/video/cheapest-source-of-vitamin-B12/

So taking 250 mcg in supplement form (of cyanocobalamin) per day would be the equivalent of meeting two times the RDA at 4mcg. Not sure what the bioavailability ratio is for the synthesized form of cyano- to the active, natural form of methyl-cobalamin would be. Methylcobalamin is excreted in the urine at about 1/3 less than cyanocobalamin and is 2.5 more potent according to this extremely B12 guy.

I feel like I might not be getting enough B12 from my diet but I have a bottle of methylcobalamin lying around that I feel I could make use of. I just wonder if anyone here can take low doses of methylcobalamin without any problems?

Maybe I should opt to take cyanocobalamin or other forms of cobalamin instead?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5312744/:

Numerous studies and reviews of B12 metabolism have shown that CNCbl, MeCbl, OHCbl, and AdCbl are reduced to the core cobalamin molecule inside the cytosol. It is important to note that the ligands specific to the ingested B12 form—methyl and adenosyl—are removed during that process and not used inside cells during the conversion of cobalamin to the 2 active forms of B12 (Figure 1).6,25–30 Activation of cobalamin occurs in very specific cellular environments; cobalamin is converted into MeCbl inside the cytosol and to AdCbl inside mitochondria. The final amounts and ratios of MeCbl and AdCbl produced do not depend on the initial form of B12 that had entered the cells.

For what it’s worth, I used to slam energy drinks full of megadoses of B vitamins and felt no worse for it. Then, read about heart problems and neuropathy being associated with high doses of B supplementation and cut back.

Also, remember I took SAMe in combo with B12, but others with post-drug syndrome have mentioned troubles with B12 alone.

Have you considered starting with an intermediate dose? Something that’s only 10s of times more than the RDA instead of 100s of times more?

I think it is very important to do a genetic test before you throw everything into your body. I did and sometimes still do that mistake myself. But after doing a genetic test on mthfr genetics uk and let the results run through nutrahacker, I got a list of do´s and dont´s. It clearly says “no methly donors” like methy b12. But Hydroxocobalamin is ok because your body can convert it into what it needs. Also it says no estrogens, no androgens etc. I think its complicated. And I realized I feel the best when I dont take anything. Its weird.

I took SAM-E just 5 days ago and woke up with a heavy migraine and felt and still feel like shit 5 days later.

Even hydroxocobalamin reduces my sleep capacity–down to 2 hours. It’s always caused me insomnia though, even before PFS. What gives?