Wow, this stuff gave me some serious depression

Hi there,

First of all excuse my english, it’s not my native language. I will try to tell my experience as good as possible.
It all started a few years ago, at the age of 18. I was getting just a little hair loss on the front sides of my head, and continued from there on. It never bothered me that much until I was 21 and my hair loss was increasing. I tried some topical shampoos for like half a year and some other stuff that didn’t really work. Then I thought why not try finasteride? There were some good reviews about it, some negative telling about a decreasing libido. I thought I would give it a try,

It didn’t gave me any side effects (started about 4 months ago from now), and I didn’t notice any changes in my hair loss either. It all felt normal like every day. I use this drug every night, a quarter from a 5mg pill; 1,25mg. Because I didn’t noticed any decrease in libido I thought I was doing really good. I didn’t saw any improvement in my hair though, but no decrease either.
About 5-6 weeks ago I noticed I was a little nervous some times and had some panic attacks. Normally I’m a very optimistic person who doesn’t stress at all. But it wasn’t often, so whatever… I usually did a lot of sports; marathon running, soccer, fitness etc. the last few months the urge to do some kind of sport wasn’t there. Since the last 3 weeks I’m feeling bad, depressed. A few times I even thought about suicide, not actually doing it, just thinking about how and what suicide is. I thought by myself that it’s strange that I was thinking about suicide, why would I think about something like that? I have a beautiful life, good friends and family and a lovely girlfriend.
So the last 1,5 week I felt really fucking crap depressed. I usually really like to see my mother and dad, last 1,5 week I didn’t. Everything they said was irritating me, and I didn’t like anything they said. Also, I see my grandmother and grandfather a lot (over 3 times a week), which I always really enjoyed. The last 1,5 week I didn’t… I felt like a robot without any feelings. Waking up every morning at 6:30am, going to work, getting back at about 4:00pm, then watch some tv and go to sleep. I was really absent to my girlfriend, family and friends. And somehow it all didn’t bother me, I thought: well whatever, life goes on right? It’s probably normal I feel like this.

Today… I started to talk to my girlfriend about how I feel depressed and tired and all that. She said she noticed the same. We talked about it and I started to cry literally. But I didn’t know where it was coming from. It felt really good to talk about my depression with my girlfriend. I wished her goodnight and went to sleep. But before I go to sleep I always take my finasteride. Exactly at the moment I swallowed this pill, out of nothing it came to my mind: this drug is making me depressed and tired. Yes, that must be cause! It must be! I’m losing hair since 4 years and never fell depressed about anything in the last 22 years. Since the last 3 weeks I know how depression feels actually. I’m so damn sure this drug makes me feel depressed. There isn’t any other possibility that could me make this depressed. I never felt so bad in my whole life as the past few weeks.

The thing is, I never even thought about finasteride making me feel this shit. It really didn’'t came to my mind that this drug could harm me that much. But now I know for sure, this must be the cause.
It’s 11:45pm right now, I usually sleep at 10:30pm. I really had to share this… I hope the story isn’t written to vague/hazy. It feels like I just made a big discovery what is making me feel really bad.

Anyway… now I know what is the cause for my depression, I still need to quit it. I think I will half my amount of finasteride for the next 2 weeks, so my body gets used to it? After that I will completely stop with this drug. God it makes me so depressed. But, is there any other topical that can stop my hair loss? I don’t want to use any oral drug anymore, this one sucked that hard… So does anyone know a good topical remedy? If not, then I will just get bald. I rather be bald then feeling like I was the last few weeks. Seriously.

I really had to share this… I will report how I feel when I completely stopped with this drug, hope it will help. I took the last pill just 2 hours ago. Thank you for reading my story, I appreciate any feedback.

Patrick

Finasteride and depression have been noted for years.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4666
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=38

Drug manufacturer even added it as possible side effect to the label, per above.

Hopefully once you get off the drug it will clear up in time. If you are looking for further hair loss remedies, post on hair loss sites.

Try to come off it very slowly over the course of a few months. Reduce your dose down to maybe .10 or .05 mg over the course of a couple months if at all possible. You maybe able to avoid the crash this way.

That is a good advice, will try that. I might start with minoxidil in the mean time? Or would you just quit everything? I don’t want to be depressed again .

I hope you don’t crash.

Same thing happened to me.

Hope u get better. There are many topical natural cures. DO not take any drugs. Not worth it. You could try topical green tea, zinc, saw palmetto maybe progesterone.

Do not take pharma drugs. risks are too high.

saw palmetto? I thougt that It has the same side effect like finasteride.