Would any one be interested in an androgen receptor test?

More specifically looking at 2 polymorphisms that look like they may have a role in PFS. This recent paper found those with really long OR really short repeats in parts of their androgen receptor were >5 more susceptible to PFS then the general population. It only makes sense that people should have this test before going on such a dangerous drug in my opinion. I happen to work in a field where I could probably make this test available, but I’m wondering if there’s an actual need.

Here’s link to the paper (dm me if you’d like a copy)

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24855036

Here’s a link to the most telling table in the study:

imgur.com/a/rF0qc

Do they need others people for test? Where you find the advertisement ?

I’m interested. Please post any further information on what we need to do.

Thank you!

id like to do this test too

I’m definitely interested and have PM’d.

Having looked further at the detail, I have a question. It seems the test would be good at predicting predisposition to hair loss, but the difference between those who have hair loss and those who have hair loss + PFS is not as remarkable. This means, if someone is experiencing hair loss, it wouldn’t really be possible to tell if they’re susceptible to PFS. Men who don’t have hair loss wouldn’t need the drug anyway, so they wouldn’t need the test to determine sensitivity.

Maybe I missed something.

Hey there,

I agree that there are flaws with this study and they fleshed out a bit in the discussion section of the paper (let me know if you don’t have access and would like a copy). And one of the flaws was the one you mentioned, those who are more susceptible to balding will also be the most susceptible to getting PFS. The difference is significant, a 5.88 odds ratio is actually much higher than 3.55.

One thing to note is that other papers have shown that those with small repeats actually respond best finasteride: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16382684

So in essence, if you have a small repeat number you may be the best type of responder but have a chance at PFS, but if you have a very high combined reapeat number you can go bald, have a high chance of PFS and be a non-responder to finasteride.

I think there’s some type of utility here.

Hey, PM’d back but thought I’d respond here as well.

You’re right in saying that those who have hair loss and those who suffer from PFS will both have similar genotypes, both have extreme alleles (either short or long), although there is a large difference between an OR of 3.55 and 5.88 (in scientific terms).

I think the biggest take away here is that we already know that people with short alleles will respond better to finasteride:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16382684

Therefore if you have short alleles you have a chance at better response + a chance of PFS, and if you have very long alleles you have poor response to finasteride plus a chance of PFS. Why would anyone with long alleles take the drug?

Fair enough. It’s interesting enough to pursue. Can you try to pm me again? I didn’t get the first one.

Hi guys,

I am new to the forum, so if I say something out of line…please feel free to gently correct me…as I am here seeking answers too.

I have been doing tons of research in the past week since I stumbled on this site and found out what may be causing all my problems. I will outline my history in another thread seeking feedback.

But on topic with this thread…I found a few days ago and was actually considering for the heck of it basically doing the gene analysis they are explaining in the research paper you highlight. This link here albareyes.com/genetic-tests/ … -response/
seems to be the exact same test. I emailed them on Friday asking how much it costs and if they feel it can predict possible PFS. But I have not heard anything back yet and I will be more than happy to reply with their response when I hear something probably tomorrow (Monday).

Bob