Why are probiotics benefiting me?

So since Christmas you are feeling better. That means less than 1 months.
Please keep us updated.

Id also like to add be careful with probiotics, some of their potential effects could linger, whether desirable or not. Human derived strains could be more potent as well.
Ive posted on antibiotic resistance for the popular Align probiotic to zpac,

Here is showing some pretty good resistance of L.reuteri 6475 to 3 different antibiotics used for c.diff infection.

Intrinsic resistance to multiple antibiotics is common in Lactobacillus spp
Human-derived L. reuteri strains 17938 and 6475 demonstrated the most consistent and robust resistance to all three drugs, with the MICs being from 64- to 128-fold greater than the corresponding MIC90 for C. difficile .

1 Like

are you still seeing benefits? I purchased a bottle but i’m apprehensive to take it because i can’t find where it’s produced. the company’s headquarters are in australia but i wouldn’t trust a product made in china

It’s not made in China. Blackmores is well-trusted. And yes, effects are still there to varying degrees.

1 Like

Just figured Id dump this here, looking at major commensal bacterial metabolites. (I think they mention the effects were pretty rapid)
SCFA production is one of them.
Lactic acid is not a scfa but its production could possibly feed other bacteria that do produce scfas
There’s 3 major scfas
acetate, propionate, and butyrate.
The normal ratio is 60:20:20

Im actually looking at the middle one right now, its what p.acnes was originally named after.
I know Moonman has talked about the possible benefits of butyrate.

Human-origin probiotic cocktail increases short-chain fatty acid production via modulation of mice and human gut microbiome

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-30114-4

The gut bacteria producing metabolites like short-chain fatty acids (SCFAs; e.g., acetate, propionate and butyrate), are frequently reduced in Patients with diabetes, obesity, autoimmune disorders, and cancers. Hence, microbiome modulators such as probiotics may be helpful in maintaining or even restoring normal gut microbiome composition to benefit host health. Herein, we developed a human-origin probiotic cocktail with the ability to modulate gut microbiota to increase native SCFA production.

Is there a reason why you use so little when most sources recommend 10 15 billion to start.

Recently is started using probiotics and I ve noticed some major improvements on my digestion which has helped with my mood , sleep, energy, cognitive impairment has gotten better, digestion, inflammation has cleared up in my skin. Possibly treating an underlining leaky gut issue.
That lasts for about a week then my sleep starts getting worse and my muscles get sore and weak which I think is a build up of lactic acid and I start losing all my progress and get crazy anxiety. I’m trying to find a sweet spot for the probiotics because they are relatively inexpensive and harmless.
Have you or anyone else experienced a regression after benefiting from probiotics and what was the fix?

Just thought I’d provide an update. Took a capsule of the probiotics after about a two week break period and it seems to not have any effect. I don’t know if its a ‘that’s all folks’ state of affairs or whether it’s just a one-off.

Even in the latter days of me taking it regularly it appears that the effects did lessen.

So if this update brings useful information to those looking to try it, or just allow for some schadenfreude… yes… it seems, for now at least, as per the anecdote of @ginge1612, the effects have faded.

Probably an effect on the gut-brain axis.

I thought it may be the butyric acid. It seems not to be produced by L. Reuterii, but can be made by other bacteria from the lactic acid. Butyric acid has a positive effect on histone acetylation (epigenetics) and has been found to be important for brain development and brain health. But Butyric acid seems to be also a slight 5ar blocker like many healthy compounds.

The effects could also be not from Reuterii itself but from Reuterii diminishing other strains.

Changes in microbiome had been reported in mice fed with Finasteride (and I think also PFS patients).
Changes in microbiome can lower the uptake of certain amino acids as it happens in TBI. Consecutively GH is low. If this mechanism is involved in PFS too its just speculation.

Personally, I saw some improvements from yogurt (which also contains lactic acid and probiotics

I tried Reuteri 5 billion cfu. There was no discernable effect on PFS symptoms. I will keep trying for a while more and will report if something changes.

1 Like

I’ve had some improvements using a probiotic blend containing lactobacillus acidophillus which is suppose help balance yeast , bifod animalis, longum bifidum. Adds up to about 10 billion colonizing units. I take it at lunch with food for a couple of days then take a break. When im taking them I feel not the greatest mentally and physically sleep is poor but the days in between I feel really good mentally and physically and sleep improves. Half the time I can function as opposed to never being able to function.
Prebiotic fiber helps as well for better digestion. For that I take metamucil. A teaspoon in water in the morning. And that’s it for now. Probiotics have been one of the greatest overall improvements for me so far. But nothing more than bringing me from 20% to about 55% on an okay day and 65% on a better day.

I have tried reuteri 6475 for 10 days now (BioGaia) and I see some negative side effects. My semen volume has decreased, which was stable for one and a half year now. Libido got from very low to even a bit lower. I wanted to go for three month but this puts me off.

If anyone in Germany wants to buy the 80 pills I have left let me know.