who has use Acetyl-L-Carnitine .Please post ur experience

Hi all

I was on musclechatroom and read good comments about Acetyl-L-Carnitine by Dr.Chrysler.He said it can stimulate LH production and I alos found pubmed study. Note in the study LH <3 IU/L referred as hypo. we are mostly LH<3.
I request all post fin user who have taken ALC please post their experience here.

sps

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1763615

Acetyl-l-carnitine as possible drug in the treatment of hypothalamic amenorrhea.
Genazzani AD, Petraglia F, Algeri I, Gastaldi M, Calvani M, Botticelli G, Genazzani AR.

Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Modena, Italy.

Abstract
Several neuroendocrine disregulations have been demonstrated in patients with hypothalamic amenorrhea, but a definite therapeutic strategy has not yet been found. Since acetyl-l-carnitine (ALC) has been reported to have a specific effect on central cholinergic, serotoninergic, dopaminergic and opioidergic systems, 20 patients with hypothalamic amenorrhea were treated with ALC (2 g/day, per os). Both the clinical efficacy and the endocrine parameters were evaluated after 6 months. The patients were subdivided in two groups according to their LH plasma levels: A) hypogonadotropic: 10 subjects with plasma LH less than 3 mIU/ml, and B) normogonadotropic: 10 subjects with plasma LH greater than 3 mIU/ml. All subjects underwent: 1) a pulsatility study (4 h sampling every 10 min), 2) GnRH test (two bolus injections of 10 micrograms at time 0 and +120), 3) TRH test (200 micrograms). These parameters were evaluated before and after 6 months of ALC administration. The occurrence of a spontaneous menstruation was observed in 6 out of 10 hypogonadotropinemic and in 4 out of 10 normogonadotropinemic patients. Menstrual bleeding occurred between the 3rd and the 6th month of therapy. Major hormonal changes after ALC administration were observed in the hypogonadotropic subjects. They showed a significant increase in baseline plasma LH levels (from 0.9 +/- 0.1 to 3.5 +/- 0.7 mIU/ml, p less than 0.05) (mean +/- SEM), a significant increase in LH pulse amplitude (p less than 0.01) with no changes in LH pulse frequency, and a significantly increased response of LH to the latter GnRH bolus during the GnRH test. Hypogonadotropic patients also showed a significant increase in both estradiol (from 18.8 +/- 2.5 to 48 +/- 3.3 pg/ml, p less than 0.05) and PRL (from 6 +/- 1 to 11.4 +/- 1.7 ng/ml, p less than 0.05). No significant differences were observed in the hormonal parameters of normogonadotropic patients after 6 months of ALC therapy.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)

1 Like

I used to take it all the time and had good results with it.
I think the perfect “nut stack” would be resversatrol, ALCAR, NAC, Vitamin D, Taurine, and maybe selenium.

I remember reading a study similar to this but before I was diagnosed with hypogonadism. Needless to say I’m going to start taking it again.

While on topical TRT, one of the very few times that my orgasm intensity came back was when I took ALC for three days in a row, always at around 10 am on an emoty stomach. Took 2 500 mg pills each time.

It increases dopamine at some level, so that makes sense.

Alcar is simply awesome. It is the only thing that cures all my persisting side-effects physiologically and mentally for a few hours when taken occasionally. Gives amazing kick. Especially when combined with some Tribulus.

1 Like

I have a bottle of “L-Carnitine” lying around.

For best results, should I use that or get “Acetyl L Carnitine”?

Got my self Acetyl L Carnitine from Solgar today. Only 250mg per capsules. 30 Capsules were 13€. Pretty expensive if I have to take 4 a day? What’s the recommended dose? I also have 750mg normal L Carnitine at home and will take 2 capsules daily as well.

1 Like

ALCAR 1000mg/day. Must be on empty stomach at least 30 minutes before meals. You can either take all 1000mg before breakfast or just 500mg then and then another 500mg before lunch. Just don’t take it too late in the day as it can be somewhat stimulating (although very mild, it can make it harder to fall asleep).

For now, I would mix the two types you have together to get 1250mg (750 LCAR + 500mg ALCAR) until you run out. And if you’re dividing them up 2x day, make sure the ALCAR one is earlier in the day.

1 Like

Thanks! So I took only 250mg A-Car and 750mg L-Carnitine. First 2-3 days it really did something. My brain worked better and this numb feeling on my temples got less. Even some libido. Fatigue went away. But like with any supplement I tried so far, the effect stopped after couple days.

3 days after I started I got some cold and still going on a bit. So that might effect my body currently. Let’s see how it will work out. Wanna continue the Carnitine. Also did take it together with breakfast. Will try 30 min before.

I just remember reading that accutane victims recovered with L-Carnitine injections. I wonder if tablets are as effective? Especially with damaged intestines and malabsorption.

1 Like

ALCAR gives me muscle twitches. Possible due to increase in acetylcholine.

It gets worse if I use it concurrently with Huperzine A which is a acetylcholinesterase inhibitor (means less acetylcholine breakdown).

Fin has shown to decrease acetylcholinesterase activity in some study.

I do want to try L-carnitine though.

Yeah, I forgot to mention it has to be cycled or it loses effect. I take it only M-F, weekends off. And after 3 weeks, I take an entire week off. This amounts to 15 ALCAR days out of the month.

You seem to need much shorter cycling. You might want to do M-F every other week or M-W-F every week.

For absorption, capsules are better than tablets, and obviously raw powder would be best.

1 Like