What is the proper way to take L-Arginine?

I’ve been doing some research because I would like to take L-Arginine, and it seems that you need to take at least 5000mg a day for it to be effective. Is this true? Is the pills or liquid form better? Does anybody know of a good high-quality product?

Maybe I won’t take it. Found this study that says it may increase prolactin levels, if I am reading it correctly. Anyway, here is the study:

The effects of L-arginine on the release of prolactin from decidual explants in vitro.

Kumari M, Heffner LJ.

Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA.

OBJECTIVE: Our aim was to elucidate a role for the L -arginine-nitric oxide-cyclic guanosine monophosphate pathway in the control of decidual prolactin release in vitro. STUDY DESIGN: In decidua obtained from normal vaginal deliveries, we examined the effects of L -arginine; a stable analog of cyclic guanosine monophosphate, 8-bromo-cyclic guanosine monophosphate; and two nitric oxide synthase inhibitors, L -nitro arginine methyl ester (L -NAME) and L -nitro monomethyl arginine (L -NMMA) on the release of prolactin from decidual tissue in vitro. RESULTS: L -arginine, at 100 micromol/L, produced an increase in medium prolactin concentration after a 2-hour exposure; however, its inactive isomer, D -arginine, at the same concentration, did not. The increase in prolactin release initiated by L -arginine was sustained after a 24-hour incubation. In addition, 8-bromo-cyclic guanosine monophosphate (10 micromol/L) stimulated prolactin release. At 2 hours, the effects of L -arginine were reversed by L -NAME (100 micromol/L), which by itself was without effect. Incubation of tissue with L -NAME for 24 hours inhibited prolactin secretion (24 hours; P <.05, vs control); however, L -NMMA was without effect. CONCLUSIONS: These results suggest that the L -arginine-nitric oxide-cyclic guanosine monophosphate pathway is involved in the regulation of prolactin secretion by decidual tissue.

PMID: 10739497 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Sounds like it’s a mixed bag. According to this study arginine stimulates both GH (good) and prolactin (bad).
eje-online.org/cgi/content/a … /135/5/543

Has anyone run a dose of 2-3g of arginine for an extended period of time?
And does anyone know of any risks involved.
I have never tried it, but i have seen some posts here by some people saying they cant handle it…why is this, what did it do to you?

Thanks

Ive been taking three to four grams of l-argninge plus 50 -75 mg of pycnogenol for months on and off, and it has given me back confidence in the bedroom plus nocturnal and morning erections. Compared to some of the stuff people are taking out there i wouldnt worry to much about this, I cycle it every month and a half to two months.

My sides had eased somewhat over the past couple of weeks then i took a couple grams of arginine. Later on that day i was once again a brain fogged noodle dick

I think allot of people Assume that what they are taking caused the change but in reality it wAs just the cycle of your body. L-aginine had no effect on brain fog only time heals that It might help Ed.

Na dude arginine messed me around, i know what happened, im not assuming anything.

“When a high blood prolactin concentration interferes with the function of the testes, the production of testosterone (the main male sex hormone) and sperm decreases. Low testosterone causes decreased energy, sex drive, muscle mass and strength, and blood count. If levels remain low for several years, bone strength may become decreased (osteoporosis). High blood prolactin also causes difficulty in getting an erection, as well as breast tenderness and enlargement.” - Some web site…im going to the library to to have a good look at this tomorrow.

Does anyone know of any members who have had a sperm count done? Thanks

“Symptoms caused by compression of surrounding tissue — Large adenomas can cause symptoms by pressing on nearby structures in the head. Pressure on nerves to the eyes can impair vision, especially peripheral (side) vision. Pressure on the pituitary gland can decrease production of the hormones that stimulate the thyroid gland and adrenal glands, leading to underactivity of the thyroid and adrenal glands. Pressure can also cause headaches.” - Same web site

uptodate.com/patients/conten … HyBG8MXyPQ

This exactly describes my sides and they were inhanced by a prolactin increasing amino acid (arginine) according to the study from pubmed a few posts up.

I dont really trust these kinds of sites (uptodate.com) so im gonna hit the books tomorrow.

How long have you been off the meds(propecia)? you might still be very sensitive, I’ll be honest nothing has helped me more than time. And now that my body has adjusted i can take certain supplements to push back to 100%. everyone is different and nobody knows your body better than yourself. I’ll just say one thing doing to much reading and research will just lead you to more reasons as to why something is wrong, and that doesnt help. The whole mental part of healing is just as important and flooding your brain with these studyies of prolactin and temples and ^^^^ that stuff you quated aint gonna help, ive been there talking from experience here, that kind of behaviour had me in termoil for an extra year. Changing my thought process and exercise
plus some supplements has helped immensly.

so bjamin, your all recovered because you stopped thinking about the pain you were in?

Pain??? Ive never been in pain. Are you trying to be a smartass. Thinking positive has helped me heal 100% from #1 Brain Fog #2 Erectyle Dysfunction and #3 severe anxiety all caused by propecia. Cutting out trying to figure out every possible way my body could malfunction has lead to less stress and less stress in it self has allowed me to feel better and take huge strides in getting back to a more than normal way of living. I has sex on friday with some girl without a problem without anxiety without brain fog. I’ll never be recovered no one is the addict is always addicted he just learns to live with the addiction, and im learning to live with a post finasteride life be it what ever it will be. Are you recovered GOLFER??

uh, these kind of contradict themselves, don’t they? i hate to mention it to you, but i am aware of several people that have been to this site and left for years or months trying “not to think about it” or “concern themselves” with this issue, but alas - they return. Why? it is a real, legitimate MEDICAL PROBLEM and you cant de-stress yourself out of this - to allude to people to simply “not worry about it” unless they are on here freaking out the day they stop is simply unfair.

And no, im not recovered, or i wouldn’t be on here. And, if you are, then go away - bye bye - live your life - dont look back - and dont take that as an insult, why would u want to post here? why would any healthy person?

I would wanna post here because its good Karma to help people out, especially after experiencing it. “Thinking positive has helped me heal 100%” meant that it is helping with the healing process not that I have achieved 100% you obviously took it the wrong way and took it upon yourself to get involved in a completely useless way. “I’ll never be recovered no one is” I haven’t read anyone person on this site who has taken the pill for more than a year state they had completely recovered. I never once stated its not a medical problem nor do i think that just changing your attitude will solve it. All I was saying to the guy was too not get caught up on everything he reads that could elude to some sort of abnormality in which his body function. Were both obviously really touched by this whole situation, and in the end of the day we both just want to feel better. I hope you recover to some extent and help those here who might benefit from how and why you recovered.

Lighten up and stop nit picking. This thread is about arginine something i take that has helped immensl, not about weather thing postively can help heal, which in no doubt helps.

“And no, im not recovered, or i wouldn’t be on here. And, if you are, then go away - bye bye - live your life - dont look back - and dont take that as an insult, why would u want to post here? why would any healthy person?”

Golfer ive taken the blood tests, done the research, and know the options. I am recovering! I am helping. :slight_smile:

I hope one day as a healthy person you look back while living your life.

Cheers no hard feelings

So your better or your not better or your getting better…wtf does all this have to do with arginine

While on the topic i might as well post everything it take that has helped,

2-3 grams of larginine
Fish oil 1000mg 3 x day
Pycnogenol 25 mg 3 x day
Multivitamin with extra b vitamins
some times ZMA like two weeks every other month
Vitamin C 500 mg 3 x day with antioxidants

This regiment has been the least invasive and the most helpful. Ive tried all the herbs and they helped but had weird sides.

1 Like

definatley better before function 50% so flip a coin and that was my chances of feeling good and hence all the other stuff now its 80% and improving.

weird. my erection is weak. But while taking arginine its even worse.