What is Kennedy's disease?

I found some interesting stuff about Kennedy’s disease. I am going to ask my endo on monday if I can perform a tests or at least whether it is worth investigating. The thing that really got me interested in this disease is the fact that Kennedy’s disease can occure within life and it causes atrophy of neurons in the spinal cord and in the brainstem.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennedy_disease

kennedysdisease.org/about.html

kennedysdisease.org/KDA%20Q&A.pdf

I just read some more information about the disease and it seems to be completely unrelated, but if you have some experience with that or you talked to your doctor about that I would be glad to here…

Kennedy’s Disease (SBMA) is a neurodegenerative disease, sometimes misdiagnosed as ALS… however unlike ALS it progresses very slowly (over course of lifetime), typically only targets men, and involves a mutation in the androgen receptor. It is also not as debilitating or fatal like ALS.

It usually starts with muscle weakness, eventually progressing to muscle atrophy and fasciculations (muscle twitches) over many years.

Diagnosis for Kennedy’s disease is via genetic testing for androgen receptor mutation. Many men with KD are also androgen insensitive (androgen resistant), have gynecomastia, infertility, impotence and other issues, since the androgen receptor does not work correctly. Many men have elevated LH, Estradiol and Testosterone levels as a result – hallmarks of androgen insensitivity.

If you can get such testing done, by all means. Although, not sure why you’d think you have KD in the first place as its very rare and usually genetically inherited. However, with various theories floating around about Finasteride causing mutations to 5AR2 enzymes, androgen receptors or causing androgen insensitivity, I could understand why you’d want to check.

My GOD!! I cannot believe that!? This is complete accident… I just found this (kennedysdisease.org/clinicaltrial.html):

Dutasteride served for the Kennedy’s Disease.

Phase II

Clinical Trial to Examine the Efficacy and Safety of Dutasteride in Patients With Kennedy’s Disease (Spinal and Bulbar Muscular Atrophy)

Verified by National Institutes of Health Clinical Center (CC) March 8, 2006

Sponsored by: National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS)
Information provided by: National Institutes of Health Clinical Center (CC)
ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00303446

Purpose

Background:
Spinal and bulbar muscular atrophy (SBMA) or Kennedy’s disease is a slowly progressive, X-linked motor neuron disease for which there is currently no treatment. It is caused by a mutation in the androgen receptor that results in a polyglutamine repeat expansion. Recent animal studies have demonstrated that decreasing endogenous androgen levels leads to functional improvement and increased survival. Studies have also shown that high levels of 5 alpha-reductase, the enzyme that converts testosterone to the more potent dihydrotestosterone (DHT), are present in the ventral spinal cord, while low levels of this enzyme are found within skeletal muscle. Thus, by selectively decreasing levels of DHT with dutasteride, a 5 alpha-reducatse inhibitor, it is hypothesized that there will be a selective protection of motor neurons, without the adverse effects of reducing the anabolic effects of androgen on muscle.
Objective:
This will be a phase II, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial examining the safety and efficacy of the 5 alpha-reductase inhibitor dutasteride in inhibiting the progression of neurodegeneration in patients with Kennedy’s disease. Natural history data will also be obtained from the placebo control arm.
Study Population:
We aim to enroll 50 men with genetically confirmed Kennedy’s disease.
Design:
Our objective is to examine the safety and efficacy of dutasteride given at a dose of 0.5 mg a day for 2 years in an outpatient setting. This will be a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial with 25 subjects in each arm. The subjects will be evaluated neurologically and endocrinologically every 6 months at the NIH Clinical Center. In addition to their clinical visits at the NIH, subjects will also be examined by their primary physician after 3, 9, 15, and 21 months of treatment. The primary objective is to examine the effects of dutasteride on inhibiting or reversing the rate of progression of weakness as measured by quantitative muscle testing. Following informed consent, patients will undergo an initial medical history and physical followed by testing of specific neurological and endocrinological measures over a two-day outpatient visit. Patients will provide blood samples for analysis of hormonal levels and extent of muscle damage every three months. In addition, at the initial, one-year, and two-year follow-up visits patients will have nerve conduction studies as well as quantitative and functional strength evaluation. Each patient will be randomized to the treatment or placebo arm and will be given a 3 month supply of the study drug or a matched placebo at each visit. In between clinic visits, the NIH clinical pharmacy will send an additional 3 month supply to each subject until the subsequent visit.
Outcome Measures:
The primary outcome measure used will be quantitative muscle testing (QMT). Secondary outcome measures include the Adult Myositis Assessment Tool (AMAT), 2-minute walk, a quality of life measure (SF-36v2TM), neurophysiological testing (sensory nerve action potentials, and statistical motor unit number estimation). Changes in hormone levels (testosterone, dihydrotestosterone, androstenedione, estradiol), and creatine kinase levels will also be measured and correlated with changes in strength. Evaluation of disease severity and course as related to CAG repeat length and androgen levels will also be assessed.
Future Directions:
The results of this phase II study will assist us in developing a multi-center, double-blind, placebo-controlled phase III trial. In addition, natural history data will be obtained from the control arm that will be important in future clinical trials of SBMA.
Study Type: Interventional
Study Design: Treatment, Safety/Efficacy
Further study details as provided by National Institutes of Health Clinical Center (CC):

Expected Total Enrollment: 50
Study start: March 13, 2006

This is interesting (elevated estrogens causing symptoms of KD):

jcnmd.com/pt/re/jclnnmd/abst … 28!8091!-1

Hyperestrogenemia Simulating Kennedy Disease.

Journal of Clinical Neuromuscular Disease. 9(2):291-296, December 2007.
Luo, Jin Jun MD, PhD, FAANEM

Abstract:

A 71-year-old man developed clinical signs of Kennedy disease including dysarthria, dysphagia, palatal and oral mandibular fasciculations, lower-extremity weakness, gynecomastia, and testicular atrophy. Electrophysiologic studies showed sensory axonal polyneuropathy and chronic neurogenic changes of large-motor unit action potentials with decreased recruitment. Genetic analysis showed a normal 17-CAG repeat sequence. Laboratory studies showed an increased estrogen level of 180 to 220 pg/mL, probably related to his alcoholic fatty liver disease. Splenomegaly was present by ultrasound. The increased level of estrogen adversely affected estrogen-sensitive cells in breast, testicular, neuronal, and muscle cells, leading to the clinical phenotype.

Did anyone ever follow through with genetic testing for disease? I am really interested to know since KD does appear to line up with pfs in a lot of ways.

What’s weird is that finasteride would cause Kennedy’s though, because finasteride should be protective, if dutasteride is…right?