Warning about *dark* chocolate/cocoa/cacao (or foods containing high amounts of 5ar inhibiting flavonols)!

I’m very sorry to hear that. I hope that passes quickly.

Thank you. It was scary, but the snowy vision, headache, and nausea have passed, luckily. I felt so sick and constantly wanted to retch. I have no idea if others have had this happen to them.

2 Likes

Wow, I’m pleased to hear that. Thanks for letting us know.

Are you cataloguing your food experiences? Well done taking the photographs. Perhaps a spreadsheet would be a good idea for you and others to benefit from, especially now you’ve had this scary experience. Certainly other people have had “visual snow” wether they have had such a short lived experience of it, I don’t know.

Cocoa contains resveratrol:

Cocoa also contains catechins and quercetin:

1 Like

I hope that snowy day was a one-off or caused by something transient. I should definitely find a spread sheet to make a food diary, ADHD allowing. Maybe it could help explain bad or good days for you, too.

I kept a diary for months and couldn’t see anything helpful. I’m thankful that I’ve never had something like you described happen. I have just had a fairly bad day but I’m convinced it’s a stress related thing, not diet.

For me staying calm and not getting stressed out is my primary concern (beyond avoiding problem drugs and known 5ar inhibitors).

You can drive yourself nuts scrutinizing each and every food. Avoid the few no-nos if you think it helps (such as soy products) and just try to relax and enjoy life as much as you can without pettily fussing and obsessing about every single thing you put in your mouth. It’s a sure way to misery. Even a person in a healthy state would get themselves miserable doing something like that, let alone somebody with already enough issues going on.

1 Like

Right. It seems like you didn’t really read the thread, though. Otherwise you’d know that my sleep drive has been demolished ever since eating too many cacao nibs and worsens after eating large amounts of certain foods. Before taking the cacao nibs, I didn’t care what I ate, which led to this outcome in the first place. Chocolate beans, right? It seemed harmless at first and I had all but forgotten that I had a background of having taken finasteride. If I took your opposite advice, I would have avoided having this conversation with you right now.

I thought you were eating the nibs as a treatment attempt?

Yeah, but not PFS. I was eating it for fatigue.

Why would a person in a healthy state need to scrutinize foods for 5ari activity? It’s also kind of difficult to enjoy life when you could only sleep for 1-3 hours at a time. Also, it wasn’t just the insomnia, I had other symptoms come back. The adverse effects were equal to taking supplements. I believe you’re almost-to-fully recovered, right?

It’s only after the fact that I crashed with cacao nibs that I’m trying to be more careful about what I eat and replicate the good days while avoiding bad days. I get what you’re saying, I’m not trying to cause orthorexia here. My normal diet minus the nibs never caused such dramatic results. But I bet you that before I posted this thread, many people wouldn’t have thought twice about eating cacao nibs. I also didn’t say to avoid cocoa altogether, just not at such large amounts at a time. I’m at least helping others from getting burned.

1 Like

Somebody at work gave me a delicious dark chocolate bar and I’m eating 10% a day of it after reading this thread hahaha!

This bar is soooo good. O man…

Sorry dude, it was not my intention at all to upset anyone. I was more commenting about the extent of crap (diet restrictions or other) we must all go through with this condition. believe me I wasn’t trying to kick you down our anything. We’re all brothers here and in this together. I was suicidal over the past two weeks and better today and yesterday. I know you’ll pull through man

2 Likes

Update:

I now struggle to stay asleep for even 2 hours now. I’ve been waking up around 1-1.5 hours. I’ve been taking very low amounts of methylphenidate and didn’t realize that it lowers allopregnanolone in people with ADHD-PI and depressive symptoms, at least according to one study.

I think this could push me over the edge. I might be the first person to die from chocolate.

I had a couple days of recovery which all got erased from eating like almost half a loaf of some rustic bread that contains walnuts and sunflower seeds. I don’t know what else was in it, but I should have known better. Muscle symptoms came back almost immediately, starting with my arms and hands. It’s been more than a week since then and my sleep is back to where it was when I started this thread. Unbelievable.

I had a peanut butter sandwich last night which made my sleep worse still. Funny thing is when I was recovering I ate one every night, then the insomnia came back in full force after eating too much of that fancy bread.

This shit is fucking insane.

@mercked , I would bet money that the 2,000mcg of methyl-B12 is the main culprit here. Since this happened to me, I have noticed these severe sleep issues (waking after 1.5 hours) almost always correlate with a member taking a methyl donor.

It was also almost 4 months before I began improving and had many of those windows of a few nights of 6-7 hours sleep. It’s been almost a year for me, and while I’m not totally over it, I can get at least 4 hours sleep in a row and 6 total. Much better than August last year.

Look forward to being in this for the long-haul, but it should get better.

3 Likes

Maybe the B12 played a part in it, but I experienced not only severe sleep issues but also anxiety, suicidal depression, muscle symptoms, palpitations, and tension in my head. I also developed really dry eyes that hurt when exposed to the wind.

I began to stay sleep 5+ hours somewhat consistently after about three months then the insomnia came back in full swing, along with some muscle tightness, after eating a lot of that nut bread and I’m waking up after 3 hours again and can’t go back to sleep. This has so far lasted more than a week.

I hope you’ll only get better. Do you monitor what you eat?

1 Like

Oh yeah. It was a Hell ride. Far more than simple sleep issues for me:

No, I don’t pay any attention to diet/symptom correlation because I have never noticed any correlation the few times I have paid attention to it.

2 Likes

Wanted to chime in here and say i also crashed from a methyl donor. Its no fun and honoustly feels like i just quit drugs and crash. The methyl donor shrunk my dick, changed my body odor, gave me watery sperm etc. Before this i didnt have all this, now my case is 2 times more severe.

3 Likes

Had a bag of candy that contained black carrot extract. OK, I really fucked up. 2 hours of sleep then wide awake.