Voice change for the worse

My voice has changed, now they say it’s more “feminine” is Disturbing.

Thank you, I’ll look trough the results you sent. Maybe this thread can be the first specific discussion regarding voice change then.

hey microda im a singer in a band and i know exactly what you mean. before pfs my voice was darker, had much more volume and overall sounded much better. i thought i would be the only one here with this effect…

Hey Milando. Sorry to hear that. For how long have you had this? Have you seen any improvement at all over time? How is your falsetto?

Hey Milando97. Sorry to hear that. For how long have you had this? Have you seen any improvement at all over time? How is your falsetto?

1 Like

A female singer who noticed unfortunate changes in her voice from Accutane:

i have seen small improvements but its definitely worse than pre pfs. i have pfs since march 2018. while i took the drug my voice hasnt changed. but it changed for the worse after my crash in march 2018. my falsett? i dont know really. especially dark tones are much more diffucult for me now :confused:

my vocal register definitely changed for the worse. i edited my last post with time informations

With falsetto I mean the really high notes that for example RnB-singers use. Listen to “I wanna be your lover” by Prince to see what I mean. Mine is completely dead but I can still sing low notes with without a problem.

i know what you meant. but i dont really know if that changed for the worse because i was always bad in singing high notes

My voice is more raspy now but I think it’s due to extreme fatigue.

I have the same thing. it feels like it is lower, weaker, raspier. I visited a neurologist today because of muscle twitch. The doc gave me an EMG of my leg and saw twitches but didn’t think they were anything serious.

I did NOT ask the doc to put the needle into my larynx, but now I am regretting that, seeing as most of my “weakness” is in my voice, especially later in the day. I’m not sure if it is a consequence of sheer exhaustion.

Same here

Did you also loose your falsetto? If not in what way has you voice changed?

This reminded me of a topic I posted. You’d also probably be looking at muscle involvement as well.

Retinoic acid induces alveolar regeneration in the adult mouse lung

European Respiratory Society – 1 Jan 04

Retinoic acid induces alveolar regeneration in the adult mouse lung

Recent data suggests that exogenous retinoic acid (RA) can induce alveolar regeneration in a mouse and a rat model of experimental emphysema and disrupted alveolar development. This may be because RA is required during normal alveolar development and…

Recent data suggests that exogenous retinoic acid (RA) can induce alveolar regeneration in a mouse and a rat model of experimental emphysema and disrupted alveolar development. This may be because RA is required during normal alveolar development and the subsequent provision of RA reawakens the gene cascades used during development.

Here, additional evidence that RA is required during alveologenesis in the mouse is provided by showing that disulphiram disrupts this process. A further model of disrupted alveolar development using dexamethasone administered postnatally is then described, and it is further shown that RA administered to these adult mice restores the lung architecture to normal.

This is a little off topic but again the keyword is regeneration.

1.3.4 Retinoic Acid
RA has been found to have a role in neural patterning (Wilson et al., 2004) in
development. In the chicken spinal cord, RA treatment increases motor neuron
generation and increases the proliferation of ventral progenitors (Sockanathan and
Jessell, 1998). Treatment of RA in zebrafish embryos also increases the number of
motor neurons generated during development (Ryu et al., 2015) and biases the
proliferating progenitors towards motor neuron fates at the expense of GABAergic
interneurons (Kong et al., 2018). It is necessary for adult neurogenesis in mammals
(Jacobs et al., 2006) and is used extensively in vitro to direct neuronal differentiation
of stem cells (Tonge and Andrews, 2010; Tan et al., 2015). The RA signalling
pathway, such as receptors (rarab, rxrga) and downstream genes (crabp2a, cyp2ba),
is upregulated in the adult zebrafish spinal cord after a lesion (Reimer et al., 2009).
Raldh2 is increased in mammalian spinal cord after injury in NG2+ cells (Mey et al.,
2005; Kern et al., 2007). No studies so far have investigated the functional role of RA
in neuroregeneration in the spinal cord.

I’m a vocalist too and I have noticed some changes …not drastic but enough to notice a change .

Over time it has improved and is still improving ….I’d describe it as almost a rasp , singing suddenly takes a lot out of you when before it didnt .
I’m singing properly too and have been using the diaphragm etc i think it’s the hormonal changes affecting the voice, but as hormones start to return it has improved for sure

Has anyone recovered from this? Seem to be experiencing this now.

I posted an answer to this but it disappeared. I’ll try again:

I’ve had PFS for almost 3.5 years now and I haven’t recovered from this. Most of my falsetto is still gone and I’ve accepted that that’s the way it’s going to remain. I think problems with your voice is only a big thing if you - like me - sing, and that’s probably why there haven’t been so much interaction on this thread. The even weirder thing about my voice is that my chest voice was brighter for a while (maybe a year or so); and I know this because I could sing songs that are normally too high for me. Now however my chest voice is basically back to how it was prior to PFS. Hope you have better luck!

Thanks for responding again and I’m sorry to hear you’re still dealing with this! So what do you mean by your chest voice being “brighter” exactly? Did you voice become higher pitched or lower pitched? Mine definitely seems less powerful and doesn’t have the same vibrations that had it before. It’s very odd as the only thing that would seem to cause that is vocal cord atrophy, which I don’t have according to my ENT. Also, I’m not sure if you’ve tried this, but I’ve been doing humming exercises through a small straw daily for a couple of weeks now and it seems like my voice is slowly coming back.

Sorry, I got lost in translation there. Yes, I meant that my chest voice got higher pitched. My speech wasn’t affected and I didn’t loose low end so what happened was that I got a wider range (I have recordings of this). My vocal range is
bass but I’m not a trained singer. I am a guitar player and I know a bit of music theory.

Before PFS I almost exclusively sang in the bass/baritone voice rang but I had a good falsetto. Sort of like Justin Vernon of Bon Iver (I never sang as good as him though… ). I have recordings prior to PFS were I hit G (on the 15th fret of the E string on the guitar) which is basically soprano voice (It doesn’t sound good but I hit the note). That capability was lost over night when I crashed in 2019. I have some falsetto left but I can’t sing it effortlessly. The soft “soul singer style” falsetto is completely gone and what I have left sounds like a bad copy of Axl Rose but without his range. It’s sort of a mix of falsetto and chest voice that I really need to push to produce. So, I have lost almost an octave in falsetto voice.

I still have good power and that never changed for me. I went to several voice coaches and was given a straw/tube that I was supposed to hum though with the edge of the tube in water. I haven’t done this though as I have never practiced singing before and the change is so dramatic that I felt it to be impossible to do anything about it. Nice to hear that it’s seems to be working for you however!