Vitamin D3 - blocks 5-alpha reductase activity??

I.

Zinc and Vitamin D… Ive been taking them consistently the last month a long with other things. I’ve noticed great improvements with my brain fog.

thanx but I have been taking Vit D3 for long. I just replaced it with Vit .

thnx

sps

I read the study cited in the article you posted which the author used as a reference for claiming Vit D is a 5ar2 inhibitor.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15862960

It doesn’t seem to really correlate with what he is saying. Also i haven’t found anything else about Vitamin D being a 5ar2 inhibitor elsewhere on the internet.

1 Like

" The expression of 5alpha-reductase type I mRNA was not regulated by 1alpha,25-(OH)(2)D(3) and no expression of 5alpha-reductase type II was detected in LNCaP."

Doesn’t this mean it doesn’t do anything to 5AR? This was investigating the shrinking of prostate cancer cells via Vit D3, but that didn’t seem to be because of inhibiting 5AR. Or am I wrong?

Hi all

I am not citing any particular url for Vit D3 as being 5AR inhibitor. Any body can google and find many websites showing VitD3 as being 5AR inhibitor.
My question is why Vit D3 does not cause any sides. I myself like many other here have been taking it for 2 years.All I got are benefits. Whenever I try to stop it I get back
flue like symptoms
low enegy
weight loss
brain shrinkage feelings

etc etc.

so why propecia or saw palmetto cause damage but not Vit D3. Is it because Vit D3 just cause pure inhibition where as SP and propecia bind to receptors as well.

sps

1 Like

I’ve never seen a single credible source of vitamin D3 as a 5alpha-reductase inhibitor.

Vit D rocks… it helps me a bit and makes me feel more real :slight_smile:

I have been taking 5000 units of Vitamin D3 for 3 months and i fell a little improvement…and i also notice my hair better and thicker…anyone else notice this with vitamin d3 and this impact with the hair?
It is strange for me becouse it also make me feel better…
Thanks and sorry for my poor english.

Although most people around here think that starting to lose hair after fin a good sign, this is not always the case (there are a lot of members with severe sides but severe hair loss too). Analogously, not losing the hair does not necessarily mean that you have low T (see Dury’s story). The fact that you feel better (sexually I assume) means that your sex hormones look better (higher T or lower E2 or lower SHBG). This usually causes an increase of hair loss, but, since your hair loss decreased, that means that your progesterone has increased by a lot. Progesterone downregulates the activity of DHT in hair follicles, and therefore prevents hair loss.

The facts that your progesterone increased and your sex hormones look better guarantee that your cortisol increased too. (You probably noticed an increase in energy levels)

Vit D3 is believed to increase the effect of thyroid hormones. In your case, that is leading to an increase in overall metabolism, which allows your body to 1) allow the conversion of pregnenolone into progesterone into cortisol, and 2) keep higher levels of T without dumping it into E2 or binding to SHBG. If you notice an increase in brain fog or anxiety, that will be because you ran out of pregnenolone, and you should consider supplementing it. If not, I think you should continue taking D3…

WTF but is True? Also anti-aromatase?!