Vitamin B12 safety

What are your thoughts on nutritional yeast? It also contains B vitamins I’ve been having it 1-2 times per week I usually put it on my pasta for extra protein should I stop?

Why do you want to take vit b12?

I suffer from SIBO which makes me malabsorpe B12. I used to find relief from supplementing pre PFS.

Heyy all! I would like to ask if its not safe to take B12 vitamin?

Its just a part of my iron supplement i need to take on low red blood count, please advise! Thanks guys!

That’s my thoughts - how can taking a vital nutrient that our brains and bodies require cause harm?

I was harmed by grossly excessive doses of vitamins. Both methyl-B12 and Accutane, if you want to consider Accutane an excessive dose of vitamin A.

There is such thing as too much of a good thing.

ask your doctor to try the hydroxycobalamine version

its the safest one and used for malabsorbtion problems

i react badly to the methylcobalamine one and cyanocobalamin

Before you even think about it, get your serum level checked @andras33. Oddly enough, mine turned out >1000, which is above top lab reference range. Doctors were dumbfounded and wrote me off. My gut (pun intended) tells me that I’m blessed (probably cursed) with overabundance of B-12 producing intestinal flora. Should this be your case, B-12 would be your worst bet.

Thx @doomed80! I’ll check it at the next blood test. Currently my iron supplement that I take contains of B12 vit 36% of recommended daily intake for adult. So its just a small element among many other B vits it has. I take that supp since 1 week, feel no sides (yet).
Do you think thats within the safe zone then? Can I carry on?
Thx!

You’re welcome @andras33. B vits are water soluble and are excreted via urine when in excess. B-12 is stored in the liver as needed. 36% DV is a tiny dose and shouldn’t pose a concern. That said, it was scientifically proven that certain gut flora can produce B-12 in copious amounts and in such cases extra supplementation may prove harmful.

Excellent, that way I’ll take it with no concern. I went through all the ingredients if anyone reported bad sides on them, and B12 was the only with a skull on it :smiley:

Go get it tiger :leopard::wink:

1 Like

I must take this supp, suffering from low red blood cell count on top of my PFS lol

Also check your homocysteine levels

Elevated means malabsorbtion

1 Like

Great advice @lakehouse. I may have an issue with methylation given my histamine intolerance plight that I’m working on. I suppose you mean B-12 metabolism in the body? Because my serum level is too high as is so absorbion isn’t likely an issue. I don’t suffer anaemia either so that’s that. It’s in my understanding B12 deficiency causes increased homocysteine levels. I’ll have homocysteine and B-12 measured next time around.

Fun fact: It’s been my longest period (3 months) without tests due to COVID19.

2 Likes

also ask your doc for the hydroxycobalamine b12

safer than the other versions for us

1 Like

Disclaimer, hydroxycobalamine was safe for me

Not sure how others will react. So if your doctor gives it to you, you may want to go slowly at first

i was also given methyl folate along side with it and nothing bad happened

2 Likes

Do you think we should avoid B12 even if our serum levels are low? My B12 has been between 300 and 400 for years and that can contribute to depression, so I’m considering supplementing.

Seconding this. Has anyone got worse from nutritional yeast?

I recently started a vegan diet and have been taking Nature’s Bounty Vitamin B-12, 1000 mcg since apparently you don’t get enough B12 as a vegan… This can really be harmful?