Vitamin B12 safety

I’m thinking of starting to supplement with vitamin B12 ( the cyanocobalamin version). I know people have had issues with the methyl version, but I’m wondering if anybody has had a bad reaction to the common version too? I won’t be using a huge dose.

Please DON´T do this. Methyl donors should be avoided at all cost in my opinion. U can crash so bad, and worsen urself permanently, like I did. It worsened my condition times 2. It has almost zero probability to fix ur PFS, but a lot of probability to fuck u up badly. Don´t do this. I have also talked to people who experienced this crash with normal doses. And I myself had a crash on a methyl donor with normal dosing.

3 Likes

I was more referring to the cyanocobalamin version of vitamin B12, which I believe is distinctly different from methyl B12? Could be wrong though.

What are your thoughts on nutritional yeast? It also contains B vitamins I’ve been having it 1-2 times per week I usually put it on my pasta for extra protein should I stop?

Why do you want to take vit b12?

I suffer from SIBO which makes me malabsorpe B12. I used to find relief from supplementing pre PFS.

Heyy all! I would like to ask if its not safe to take B12 vitamin?

Its just a part of my iron supplement i need to take on low red blood count, please advise! Thanks guys!

That’s my thoughts - how can taking a vital nutrient that our brains and bodies require cause harm?

I was harmed by grossly excessive doses of vitamins. Both methyl-B12 and Accutane, if you want to consider Accutane an excessive dose of vitamin A.

There is such thing as too much of a good thing.

ask your doctor to try the hydroxycobalamine version

its the safest one and used for malabsorbtion problems

i react badly to the methylcobalamine one and cyanocobalamin

Before you even think about it, get your serum level checked @andras33. Oddly enough, mine turned out >1000, which is above top lab reference range. Doctors were dumbfounded and wrote me off. My gut (pun intended) tells me that I’m blessed (probably cursed) with overabundance of B-12 producing intestinal flora. Should this be your case, B-12 would be your worst bet.

Thx @doomed80! I’ll check it at the next blood test. Currently my iron supplement that I take contains of B12 vit 36% of recommended daily intake for adult. So its just a small element among many other B vits it has. I take that supp since 1 week, feel no sides (yet).
Do you think thats within the safe zone then? Can I carry on?
Thx!

You’re welcome @andras33. B vits are water soluble and are excreted via urine when in excess. B-12 is stored in the liver as needed. 36% DV is a tiny dose and shouldn’t pose a concern. That said, it was scientifically proven that certain gut flora can produce B-12 in copious amounts and in such cases extra supplementation may prove harmful.

Excellent, that way I’ll take it with no concern. I went through all the ingredients if anyone reported bad sides on them, and B12 was the only with a skull on it :smiley:

Go get it tiger :leopard::wink:

1 Like

I must take this supp, suffering from low red blood cell count on top of my PFS lol

Also check your homocysteine levels

Elevated means malabsorbtion

1 Like

Great advice @lakehouse. I may have an issue with methylation given my histamine intolerance plight that I’m working on. I suppose you mean B-12 metabolism in the body? Because my serum level is too high as is so absorbion isn’t likely an issue. I don’t suffer anaemia either so that’s that. It’s in my understanding B12 deficiency causes increased homocysteine levels. I’ll have homocysteine and B-12 measured next time around.

Fun fact: It’s been my longest period (3 months) without tests due to COVID19.

2 Likes

also ask your doc for the hydroxycobalamine b12

safer than the other versions for us

1 Like

Disclaimer, hydroxycobalamine was safe for me

Not sure how others will react. So if your doctor gives it to you, you may want to go slowly at first

i was also given methyl folate along side with it and nothing bad happened

2 Likes