Tyr member story

Welcome to our community. Please fill in the following template as a way of introducing yourself, and helping others to understand your background and situation.

Where are you from (country)? UK

How did you find this forum (Google search – if so, what search terms? Via link from a forum or website – if so, what page? Other?)

What is your current age, height, weight?

What specific drug did you use (finasteride, dutasteride, saw palmetto, isotretinoin/Accutane, fluoxetine, sertraline, citalopram, leuprorelin, etc…)? Finasteride

What dose did you take (eg. 1 mg/day, 1 mg every other day etc.)? 1mg

What condition was being treated with the drug? MPB

For how long did you take the drug (weeks/months/years)? 2 years

How old were you, and WHEN (date) did you start the drug? 22

How old were you when you quit, and WHEN (date) did you quit? 24

How did you quit (cold turkey or taper off)? Cold

How long into your usage did you notice the onset of side effects? Crash was a good few weeks after discontinuing

What side effects did you experience that have yet to resolve since discontinuation?

Check the boxes that apply. You can save your post first, then interactively check/uncheck the boxes by clicking on them. If your symptoms change, please update your list.

Sexual
[x ] Loss of Libido / Sex Drive (recovered a bit)
[ x] Erectile Dysfunction
[x ] Complete Impotence (recovering to some extent. Definitely up and down)
[ x] Loss of Morning Erections
[x ] Loss of Spontaneous Erections
[ ] Loss of Nocturnal Erections
[ ] Watery Ejaculate
[x ] Reduced Ejaculate
[ ] Inability or Difficulty to Ejaculate / Orgasm
[ ] Reduced Sperm Count / Motility

Mental
[x ] Emotional Blunting / Emotionally Flat (improved a fair bit)
[ x] Difficulty Focusing / Concentrating (Large improvements made, it varies a lot)
[ ] Confusion
[x ] Memory Loss / Forgetfulness (improved a lot)
[ ] Stumbling over Words / Losing Train of Thought (recovered)
[ ] Slurring of Speech
[x ] Lack of Motivation / Feeling Passive / Complacency (large amounts of recovery)
[ ] Extreme Anxiety / Panic Attacks (recovered within 2 months)
[ ] Severe Depression / Melancholy
[ ] Suicidal Thoughts

Physical
[ x] Penile Tissue Changes (narrowing, shrinkage, wrinkled) (recovered a noticeable amount, but sometimes it shrinks again)
[ ] Penis curvature / rotation on axis
[ ] Testicular Pain (recovered within 6 months)
[ ] Testicular Shrinkage / Loss of Fullness
[x ] Genital numbness / sensitivity decrease (it changes but always poor sensitivity)
[ ] Weight Gain
[x ] Gynecomastia (male breasts) (not noticeable but I can feel small increase in fatty tissue)
[ ] Muscle Wastage
[ ] Muscle Weakness
[ ] Joint Pain (recovered within 3 months)
[ ] Dry / Dark Circles under eyes

Misc
[ ] Prostate pain (recovered within 3 months)
[ ] Persistent Fatigue / Exhaustion
[ x] Stomach Pains / Digestion Problems (recovered a large amount I currently sometimes have no problems and if I have small crash it correlates with digestive issues returning)
[ ] Constipation / “Poo Pellets” (recovered)
[ ] Vision - Acuity Decrease / Blurriness (recovered)
[ ] Tinnitus (ringing or high pitched sound in ears) (recovered)
[ ] Hearing loss
[ ] Increased hair loss
[ ] Frequent urination (really bad at first then recovered after ~3 months)
[ ] Lowered body temperature

[x ] Other (please explain)

• Insomnia (mostly recovered. First 6 months I rarely slept at all and mind wouldn’t switch off . Then suddenly was able to get a few hours broken sleep. Currently a good night will be 7 hours without many periods waking up, but not as deep as previously. When I go through mini crashes insomnia returns)

• Fever, hot flashes and muscle twitch (Fully recovered within 3 months)

• Panick attacks (Fully recovered within 3 months)

What (if any) treatments have you undertaken to recover from your side effects since discontinuation of the drug?

• Few days of zopiclone at the very start, but is only for short course prescription. This didn’t massively help, just made me relaxed.

• Melatonin 1mg (not slow release) I have a tablet before sleep most nights

• Proviron 200mg for 30 days. I finished about 6 weeks ago and didn’t feel as good on it but not much change noticed.

• Clomid and Nolva ‘PCT type protocol’ a few weeks after I first crashed. This reverted everything and I was cured for about a week followed by another crash back to the initial crash level.

• Exercise including weightlifting and cardio. This helps with all the mental sides to some extent

• Wild swimming. Massively helps all mental sides. Probably best short term thing

• Fasting about twice a week I’d only have an evening meal and this seemed to help. I’d feel a bit better after eating the meal

• Acting as if I’m fine for example going to clubs and general chit chat helps mental sides

If you have pre or post-drug blood tests, what hormonal changes have you encountered since discontinuing the drug (please post your test results in the “Blood Tests” section and link to them in your post)?

Anything not listed in the above questions you’d like to share about your experience?

Tell us your story, in your own words, about your usage and side effects experienced while on/off the drug.

After I stopped taking Finasteride I felt great, trained hard and became really strong. A few weeks later I went out for new years eve drinks 2018/2019. I woke up the next day with a perpetual hangover, fever, total erectile, dysfunction and a lot of other side effects. Having all these symptoms and total insomnia for an incredibly long time was the worst torture I can imagine humanly possible. Thankfully over many months I recovered some of the side effects. I currently want my mental ability to be sharper for work (it has improved a lot) and have successful sex (I’ll try soon). I’d still be missing a lot but that would make me so much happier

If I experience a rare mini crash it is usually because a mix of sugar, caffeine and stress. My tolerance to all of these things has improved considerably, however I avoid all three when I can.

It’s not the life I had, but I’m a significant amount better than I was. Hopefully I can fit missing parts of my life together bit by bit. The old me is coming back

I believe I will eventually recover and when I do I will have a very powerful mind.

I really miss my intense feelings (sexual, love, aggression, excitement, passion), my physical ability to have sex and mental sharpness.

I reported the adverse reaction to authorities (yellow card scheme). I recommend doing this because it is anonymous, takes a minute and helps support the cause.

6 Likes

Hi @Tyr welcome to the site mate , glad to see from your description some of the symptoms have been on the recovery . That’s excellent !

Which part of uk are you from May I ask? I’m from near Brighton area …

1 Like

Thanks for the warm welcome mate and yeah it feels very comforting to have some of the heavy sides lifted off my shoulders.

I’m from the North West.

1 Like

Hi, my friend, how did your mind recover? Can you describe the process? esteem it a favor

1 Like

I can’t edit the original post, so I’ll just add to it.

PFS hit me at 17 in 2012-2013 as erectile dysfunction, loss of morning wood, some minor urination issues and worsening of cognitive functions.

In 2019 new years day I crashed severely. Symptoms included painful prostate, severe diarrhoea, stomach pain, total erectile dysfunction, shrunken genitals, total insomnia, cognitive decline to that of a disability, total loss of emotion, chronic increase in baseline stress level, less motivation, excessive sweating, loss of taste, brain-fog (felt like film was wrapped around my brain) and head pain (especially front temple areas).

I had more symptoms, however the above explains how severe PFS was for me.

Nothing improved much for years.

Sleep went from total insomnia to 30 minute naps infrequently at night after around 6 months, over the years there was a reduction in pain and slight improvement in the penile health (less bulging veins and slightly less tightness).

Following on from hormone refractory research, I found effective treatment using estrodiol injections for all but sexual symptoms. I don’t suggest using estrodiol and I believe it could make things worse in the long run upon coming off, based on the idea that growth of the “issue tissues” would feel good under the right environment and rapidly proliferate (Nb. Certain LNCaP cell line hormone refractory cells) and that upon cessation of exogenous estrogens the “issue tissues” growth slows or even shrinks as would occur with certain hormone refractory cell lines with typical low estrogen and high androgen environment.

I initially tried estrogen in 2021, however the tablet form isn’t effective.

I’ve been on Estrodiol injections since march last year and continuously for 7-8 months.

Over that period of time I have found I needed increasing amounts of estrogen to feel the same effects and that exogenous androgen regress me back towards PFS.

Getting off estrogen is extremely challenging with what I think is worsening of PFS symptoms. Its impossible for me to discontinue without return of PFS symptoms.

There is a lot more I could write, but for now this is all I wish to include.

4 Likes