Took accutane, having some similar problems

Hi, I’m I took accutane for around 4 months at the beginning of 2010, it’s now 8 months since I’ve finished using it. I’ve had some problems due to the drug, and after doing more research online it seems that finasteride users have some similar problems, and that these drugs have some similarities. I took a lower dose than usual and had only very mild usual side effects (dry skin, etc.) during the course which went away. However, about a month or two after I was done, I spontaneously developed sexual problems. Physical difficulties with getting erections, unable to become mentally aroused, loss of night/morning erections, lack of interest and it overall (orgasm included) just doesn’t feel as good.

I did also have some noticeable hair loss. My hair thinned out quite a bit but seems to have returned alot, though not completely (but it really didn’t start improving until 5 or 6 months after the end of the course).

I’ve also noticed that I just care about things less in general. I used to be an avid weightlifter, go 4-5 times per week and I would always be thinking about how I could improve my routine or what new things to try. Now I just don’t really care anymore. The few times that I do go it just feels more like a chore, where as before it was my favorite part of the day. I don’t know if this is actually it’s own problem, or just from the depression/hopelessness about my sexual problems.

Anyways, recently I thought I had recovered but it turned out it be only temporary (this happened before, but never to this extreme and only for a few days at a time). For a period of about 3 weeks I was waking up with erections every morning, though not as good as they used to be but still much better than none at all. I was also able to again get an erection by just thinking about sex. I felt almost back to normal and was elated and sure that I would recover completely. But I didn’t, it just turned out to be temporary. My question is, do these spontaneous and temporary recovery periods indicate that I may be going back to normal? Is it common for people who have finasteride problems to just, out of the blue, feel almost back normal for a short period of time?

I posted my story on other forums. A few people said they have had similar problems but have never really recovered, but most just said that I was imagining things (as though instant loss of night/morning erections is psychological) or it came from somewhere else. I was just trying to warn others about could happen if they took the drug, and it really bothered when others would “YOu have no proof accutane caused it. This is all BS”. Some people even accused of being a troll and just trying to scare people off of a “safe drug”. All I know is, before I took this drug, I could get a raging hardon just from talking about news/weather with a mildly attractive girl in a public place (I really was like a 14 year old boy in regards to sex drive). Now I have almost no interest in sex and difficulties maintaining a weak erection.

I just registered and haven’t filled out the detailed survey yet. I wanted to post this before I left for the day, so I will try to do it tonight when I get back.

1. Where are you from (country)?
    United States

2. How did you find this forum (Google search – if so, what search terms? Via link from a forum or website – if so, what page? Other?)
    Google, don’t remember the the exact searchterms

3. What is your current age, height, weight?
    25, 5 foot 7 inches, approx. 150 lbs

4. Do you excercise regularly? If so, what type of excercise?
    yes, weights

5. What type of diet do you eat (vegetarian, meat eater, raw, fast-food/organic healthy)?
    relatively healthy, lower carbs, more meat

6. Why did you take Finasteride (hair loss, BPH, other)?
    I took accutane

7. For how long did you take Finasteride (weeks/months/years)?
    4 months

8. How old were you, and WHEN (date) did you start Finasteride?
    24, I started around January 1st 2010

9. How old were you when you quit, and WHEN (date) did you quit?
    24, ended around May 1st 2010

10. How did you quit (cold turkey or taper off)?
    cold Turkey

11. What type of Finasteride did you use – Propecia, Proscar, Fincar or other generic?
    I used the generics claravis and amnesteem

12. What dose did you take (eg. 1 mg/day, 1 mg every other day etc.)?
    20 mg, 20mg, 30 mg, 20 mg (each day, month by month)

13. How long into your use of Finasteride did you notice the onset of side effects?
    A few minor ones started and stopped during the middle of the treatment, hair loss started near beginning of treatment, the more severe ones started a month or 2 after finishing

14. What side effects did you experience while on the drug that have yet to resolve since discontinuation?

Put an X beside all that apply:

Sexual
[x] Loss of Libido / Sex Drive
[x] Erectile Dysfunction
[ ] Complete Impotence
[x] Loss of Morning Erections
[x] Loss of Spontaneous Erections
[x] Loss of Nocturnal Erections
[x] Watery Ejaculate
[ ] Reduced Ejaculate
[ ] Inability to Ejaculate / Orgasm
[ ] Reduced Sperm Count / Motility

Mental
[x] Emotional Blunting / Emotionally Flat
[ ] Difficulty Focusing / Concentrating
[ ] Confusion
[ ] Memory Loss / Forgetfullness
[ ] Stumbling over Words / Losing Train of Thought
[ ] Slurring of Speech
[x] Lack of Motivation / Feeling Passive / Complacency
[ ] Extreme Anxiety / Panic Attacks
[x] Depression / Melancholy

Physical
[ ] Penile Tissue Changes (narrowing, shrinkage, wrinkled)
[ ] Penis curvature / rotation on axis
[ ] Testicular Pain
[ ] Testicular Shrinkage / Loss of Fullness
[ ] Genital numbness / sensitivity decrease
[ ] Weight Gain
[ ] Gynecomastia (male breasts)
[ ] Muscle Wastage
[ ] Muscle Weakness
[ ] Joint Pain
[ ] Dry / Dark Circles under eyes

Misc
[ ] Prostate pain
[ ] Persistent Fatigue / Exhaustion
[ ] Stomach Pains / Digestion Problems
[ ] Constipation / “Poo Pellets”
[ ] Vision - Acuity Decrease / Blurriness
[x] Increased hair loss
[ ] Frequent urination
[ ] Lowered body temperature

[ ] Other (please explain)

1. What (if any) treatments have you undertaken to recover from your side effects since discontinuation of the drug?
    i tried diet and lifestyle changes, i tried Zinc tablets but those didn’t to really do anything

2. If you have pre or post-Finasteride bloodtests, what hormonal changes have you encountered since discontinuing the drug (pls post your test results in the “Blood Tests” section and link to them in your post)?

3. Anything not listed in the above questions you’d like to share about your experience with Finasteride?

4. Tell us your story, in your own words, about your Finasteride usage and side effects experienced while on/off the drug.
    I sometimes feel almost back to normal for a few days at a time. Recently, this happened for a period of about 2-3 weeks. I was getting morning erections again (though not as strong as normal, but still much better than nothing) and overall just mentally felt like my old self again. The change literally happened overnight and then change back happened again almost overnight.

kotter, thanks for posting. It is interesting that these accutane cases keep coming up with remarkable similarities in symptoms to ours.

kazman

I was wondering, do you happen to know if people who are also suffering from finasteride have random and temporary periods where they feel better (or at least close to it)? I read through some stories, and it seems to happen to people once (they feel bad, then better for a few weeks, then go back to feeling bad permanently), but it has happened to me multiple times. And each time, the period of recovery seems to be better than the one before, in terms of being closer to normal and usually the duration. I don’t know if this really has any significance or not.

Also, even though I feel bad an upset about my own situation, I don’t feel anything else beyond that. I’m pretty much otherwise apathetic about life and I feel emotionally empty towards others. I don’t know if this was actually caused by the drug itself, or is just because I’m so upset about what happened that I can’t think about other things. I kind of think at times that makes me really bad friend and just person in general, because I’ll see my friends regularly and they obviously care about me and yet I feel nothing towards them.

Yes, apathy and adhedonia occur in finasteride users as do periods of recovery that dissipate back to baseline misery. It’s happened to me a number of times.

Saw a commercial on TV tonight about Accutane. Unfortunately, I did not get the number. They’re inviting patients who have been damaged by the drug to contact them (lawyer’s office). They cited, IBS, Crohn’s Disease and some other medical conditions I cannot recall as some of the consequences of using this drug. It sounded like they are pursuing a lawsuit.

I saw that commercial too. I don’t have any of the medical conditions that they are suing for.

I am going to try the broccoli method and see if that helps me any.

This is so frustrating. I feel like even if I were able to somehow reverse/fix the physical, I can’t see how the emotional/mental problems would go away.

broccoli contains substances that provide for reduction in estradiol, but it also contains a substance known to be a 5AR2 inhibitor. If you are googling this look at Indoplex DIM (made from cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli).

I was looking at other other posts here and saw some people using broccoli. Some said they felt little better so I thought it might be worth a try.

In case you ever need it or want it. The number for the Accutane lawsuit that is on the commercial is 1-888-215-3077. Good luck.

I just wanted to check back in. I’m feeling a little better since my last post, but not a lot. One morning I woke up with a lot of energy. The increased energy levels seem to have to stayed to an extent. However, my sexual function seems to have degraded a bit (even though before it had improved somewhat).

I just feel completely lost. It’s been over 10 months since my last pill and I’m nowhere close to being fully recovered, or even a decent recovery. I just don’t think it’s going to happen anymore at this point; if I was going to better it would have happened by now. I don’t how I’m going to spend the rest of my life either. I’m only 25 right now and I can’t imagine ever having family, or even just another girlfriend.

i find myself in a similar situaution to yours my friend. along with ed no libido muscle loss and fatigue, I have no real interest in anything. Im only 16 but i used to be obsessed with being the best at everything; grades, sports, getting girls etc. now i dont really care about anything and i have diminished in all those fields. ive only been off for 4 months but my sides seem to be getting worse. what doctors are you seeing? maybe send me a PM there are a lot of other accutane users on this board. hope we can work together on this one. stay strong