This article gave me some hope: A modified form of CRISPR can now edit the epigenome, turning genes on and off at will without changing the genome

Since is is thought that PFS is caused by the epigenetic silencing of genes, this gives me a lot of hope. They can use a modified CRISPR molecule called CRISPRon to selectively turn genes on by removing methylation.

2 Likes

CRISPR technology is definitely exciting and seems to be advancing at a promising speed; let’s hope it remains on track.

The hope is certainly that it could be of use to us one day but finding out what’s actually wrong with us via thorough scientific studies should be our only concern for the moment.

4 Likes

keep in mind, asides from CRISPR, we may also benefit from an existing compound.

we only know once if we figure out whats going on

One of the things that is actually wrong with us though is the methylation of a certain gene: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6652249/

Yeah but this is more exciting to me because existing epigenetic drugs that turn off methylation tend to just turn off all the methylation, which can lead to bad side effects. Those drugs are essentially chemotherapy and have many nasty side effects. Having said that, there are some epigenetic drugs out there that don’t have such a nasty side effect profile.

Look up spinraza…

selective targetting compounds exist too, and are newer and better

ether way, CRISPR is an ideal solution and its great to see it moving fast

1 Like