I URINATE:

• A: The same as pre-finasteride
  • B: Less than pre-fin
  • C: More often than pre-fin
  • E: More often than pre-fin and have difficulty holding/controlling it
  • E: I have difficulty urinating post-fin
  • F: More often than pre-fin but difficulty starting/stopping flow

0 voters

Proscar is marketed to shrink the prostate by reducing DHT levels by 70% with a 5 mg dose. Some of you may not know this, but Propecia, a 1 mg dose of finasteride, reduces DHT levels by 65%. There is only a 5% difference in DHT level reduction according to Merck’s product literature. Recently I’ve been able to put words to a problem I’ve had since I was on fin, namely frequent and uncontrollable urination.

I have to urinate all the time, sometimes as short as 15 minute intervals if I drink enough water. When I go out of the house I plan to stop drinking fluids well before I leave. I walk 30 minutes from home 5 days a week. I urinate before I leave. Invariably at least a couple times a week I end up having to pee before I get to my destination, if I don’t stop and do it it just comes out. I don’t know if the problem has gotten generally worse, it has not improved significantly. I have to pee often and I can’t hold it.

What it really feels like is I have a weak and inelastic mechanism controlling my urine flow that cannot hold up to light pressure even if the urine amount is not much. Often I also cannot flex to shut off a weak urine stream. I’ve peed in the god damn bed with my girlfriend present.

Please comment on your experience below and participate in the survey. I’m curious how many other people not only have the shrunken, disconnected prostate feeling but also how many people can’t hold urine anymore. Am I the only one?

I responded to the poll but I do seem to have the opposite problem from you. I do urinate more frequently, but not as frequently as you mention. However, if anything, I have some hesitation getting the flow started. This doesn’t happen every time, but sometimes it will take up to a minute for the flow to start.

Hope that helps.

I do feel the need to piss more often, but I suspect it me be partially to do with the thyroid/adrenal problems the drug caused. I’m more thirsty more often and just simply drink more water than before.

A couple of months of brocoli treatment completely resolved all pissing problems i had ie. weak flow and pain

Over time my prostate/bladder seems to be getting more numb. I try to use the muscles but they just don’t react like I expect and direct…

I feel my urine problem just 5 day after use propecia.

and while using propecia,

and after stopping for a few months.

It was very painful.

I had to urinate often before and after taking finasteride. After finasteride, I have hesitation to get the flow starting. I also have to wait up to a minute to get it started. Furthermore, my urine flow is very weak. Before finasteride I had a very strong urine flow.

1 Like

Low D vitamin and low magnesium are some possible causes for this. It’s also commom for people having these problems to have involuntary muscle contractions and arritmias. Get your calcium levels checked, hypoparatyroidims may be envolved.

Has anyone also noticed very oddly clear urine all the time?
Normally when you wake up in the morning your urine should be yellow (pretty much no matter how well hydrated you are). Mine is clear when I wake up and clear all throughout the day (even after strenuous physical activity with restricted water). This is super odd…had a brief improvement in symptoms a while back where my urine went back to yellow (without changing my water intake) and stools normalized too

Thanks for digging up this older conversation. Hopefully some of us newer victims will comment.

The OP hasn’t posted for years, and the poll no longer works. For the record, I’m in group E, urinating more often and trouble holding it.

I need to pee every couple hours, day and night. Last night for the first time, I pissed the bed. (Missed the wife, thank goodness!)

My urine is the normal yellow to start the day, and clears up as the day progresses. Don’t know if this has meaning. Flow is weak and slow, often with after-dribbles.

Much More frequent and need to be focused for starting,weak stream and urge to really feel i have to go is gone, i Just have a discomfort in my bladder. I always sit on toilet now that makes it a bit more easier, How tragic.

Yes, i had same but now its better and its normal yellowish, i am also thirsty often (thyroid/adrenal?).

In my case it is hard to not to pee, i think because weak kegel muscles.

Yeah I had this but it’s normal now.

Urinate very frequently and it’s very dark after eating almost immediately after eating.

Indicator of dehydration. Obviously if you just pee it out then difficult to deal with, but perhaps try drinking more for a few weeks, you may get some benefits, at a guess. I assume dehydration isn’t good for skin, for example.

1 Like

I drink copious amounts of water. Even 2 litres through the night. Something makes it go immediately dark after food. My skin often becomes even more dehydrated for no reason. Over expression of a hormone/ gene who knows but I couldn’t do more in terms of hydration. Thanks though mate.

1 Like

Bugger. Sorry mate.

1 Like

I have dripping after finishing. I finish, shake it out, wait, then when I go to put it away excess urine leaks out. Doesn’t happen all the time but quite frustrating. When it does happen it’s enough to produce a small wet spot on my pants.

No I’m not in a rush. I’m not nervous. This never happened before I took finasteride.

Try pushing gently in your perineum after you pee. Just a gentle push in the area between your balls and anus.

I think you’ll be able to avoid having leaks in your pants if you start doing this, at least it works great for me.

1 Like