The PFS Diet

Is there a consensus on what to eat and not to eat if you have PFS? I though it would be handy to put everything together in one post. If you can think of any foods to eat or avoid, please respond and then I’ll combine them into one post at the end that everyone can refer to.

Coffee consistently gave me prostate pain. Sweets give me brain fog.

Dont eat whole wheat

c̶o̶f̶f̶e̶e̶
s̶u̶g̶a̶r̶

I’m not sure that there is evidence for striking loads of things out of your diet. Other than people’s personal experience. Without these studies going ahead there will be no objective clues for any lines of treatment.

Thanks but I think a multi-faceted approach is best and there’s nothing to lose by trying. Studies could take years and yield nothing.

I agree that people can try to change their diets if they want. But it doesn’t seem likely that removing certain hot beverages from your diet will treat the systematic changes in gene expression across your cells, which Propecia may have induced. It’s also doubtful that removing Mars bars from your life can fix the alterations which may have been induced in androgen receptors.

I mean this respectfully, but surely the focus needs to remain on getting the studies done. Sure - they may yield nothing - but they could yield absolutely everything. Do you really believe that elite medical institutions like Harvard and Baylor would have taken on this work if there wasn’t some worth to be gained? Do you really think they don’t have a lot of things they could be doing with their time, besides undertaking cutting edge research into the problem which is blighting the lives of men on here?

I don’t understand why people think they can beat PFS through self-experimentation, when there are world-class doctors lined up to explore this problem for us. Any other approach is just a side-show distraction to the main course: the studies.

1 Like

No one is saying that PFS can be beaten by diet or self experimentation. People are saying that you can minimize the symptoms of the condition through diet. It seems to me that every person that has tried fasting has claimed a notable improvement in their symptoms. That alone is proof that diet can influence PFS symptoms. Attempting to minimize the impact of the condition on our lives while we wait for the studies to discover the actual underlying cause is only logical.

Exactly this.

Gelhead, you misrepresent me by suggesting that I think curing PFS comes down to a hot drink or a Mars bar. What I’m interested in is minimising other side effects, such as mental issues or physical pain. Whether lifestyle choices can help with libido issues is up for debate, but it can’t harm to try anyway.

Those of us who suffer PFS are obviously in quite a fragile state, and I do personally notice variations in how I feel on a day-to-day basis. It makes perfect sense then to think about factors that influence our wellbeing, such as diet, stress and exercise. That’s the point of this topic and I’d like to get back to it.

avoid caffeine.

there is a lot food with caffeine (coffee, chocolate, tea, guarana): see the list:

Coffee, brewed, espresso, restaurant-prepared
Caffeine: 21202mg

Coffee, brewed from grounds, prepared with tap water
Caffeine: 7999mg

Tea, brewed, prepared with distilled water [black tea]
Caffeine: 4000mg

Tea, brewed, prepared with tap water [black tea]
Caffeine: 4000mg

Carbonated beverage, low calorie, other than cola or pepper, with aspartame, contains caffeine [pop, soda, soft drink]
Caffeine: 3000mg

Coffee, instant, regular, powder
Caffeine: 2608mg

Coffee, instant, regular, prepared with water
Caffeine: 2600mg

Tea, instant, unsweetened, powder
Caffeine: 2336mg

Carbonated beverage, low calorie, cola or pepper-types, with sodium saccharin, contains caffeine [pop, soda, soft drink]
Caffeine: 2200mg

Tea, instant, unsweetened, powder, prepared
Caffeine: 2200mg

Tea, ready-to-drink, unsweetened, WENDY’S, fast food, without ice
Caffeine: 1600mg

Coffee, instant, with chicory, prepared with water
Caffeine: 1400mg

Tea, instant, sweetened with sodium saccharin, lemon-flavored, powder
Caffeine: 1325mg

Carbonated beverage, low calorie, cola or pepper-type, with aspartame, contains caffeine [pop, soda, soft drink]
Caffeine: 1200mg

Energy drink, RED BULL, sugar free, with added caffeine, niacin, pantothenic acid, vitamins B6 and B12
Caffeine: 1200mg

Tea, instant, unsweetened, lemon-flavored, powder
Caffeine: 1198mg

Coffee, instant, with chicory, powder
Caffeine: 1176mg

Tea, instant, sweetened with sodium saccharin, lemon-flavored, prepared
Caffeine: 1100mg

Coffee, instant, regular, powder, half the caffeine
Caffeine: 898mg

Coffee and cocoa (mocha) powder, with whitener and low calorie sweetener
Caffeine: 370mg

Candies, dark chocolate coated coffee beans
Caffeine: 311mg

Candies, milk chocolate coated coffee beans
Caffeine: 291mg

Cocoa, dry powder, unsweetened
Caffeine: 202mg

Coffee, brewed from grounds, prepared with tap water, decaffeinated
Caffeine: 200mg

Coffee, brewed, espresso, restaurant-prepared, decaffeinated

Tea, brewed, prepared with tap water, decaffeinated [black tea]

Coffee, instant, with sugar, mocha-flavor, powder
Caffeine: 157mg

Coffee, instant, with sugar, cappuccino-flavor powder
Caffeine: 149mg

Energy drink, RED BULL, with added caffeine, niacin, pantothenic acid, vitamins B6 and B12
Caffeine: 133mg

Cocoa, dry powder, hi-fat or breakfast, plain
Caffeine: 132mg

Carbonated beverage, cola, with higher caffeine [pop, soda, soft drink]
Caffeine: 132mg
Coffee, instant, decaffeinated, powder
Caffeine: 109mg

Tea, instant, unsweetened, powder, decaffeinated
Caffeine: 107mg

Coffee, instant, with sugar, french-flavor, powder
Caffeine: 102mg

Coffee, instant, decaffeinated, powder, prepared with water
Caffeine: 100mg

Carbonated beverage, reduced sugar, cola, contains caffeine and sweeteners
Caffeine: 90mg

Carbonated beverage, lemon-lime soda, contains caffeine [pop, soft drink, white soda]
Caffeine: 73mg

Cocoa, dry powder, unsweetened, processed with alkali [Dutch cocoa]
Caffeine: 71mg

Tea, instant, sweetened with sugar, lemon-flavored, with added ascorbic acid, powder
Caffeine: 64mg

Cocoa, dry powder, hi-fat or breakfast, processed with alkali
Caffeine: 49mg

Carbonated beverage, pepper-type, contains caffeine [pop, soda, soft drink]
Caffeine: 49mg

Carbonated beverage, cola, contains caffeine [pop, soda, soft drink]
Caffeine: 43mg

Tea, instant, sweetened with sodium saccharin, lemon-flavored, powder, decaffeinated
Caffeine: 34mg

Baking chocolate, unsweetened, squares
Caffeine: 32mg

Candies, chocolate, dark, 60-69% cacao solids
Caffeine: 30mg

Beverage, instant breakfast powder, chocolate, sugar-free, not reconstituted
Caffeine: 29mg

Candies, chocolate, dark, 70-85% cacao solids
Caffeine: 27mg

Candies, sweet chocolate
Caffeine: 26mg

Candies, semisweet chocolate, made with butter

Candies, semisweet chocolate

the list

nutritiondata.self.com/foods-000 … 000-1.html

the more caffeine, more anxiety and poor sleep.

based on my experience, eliminate caffeine always helped me.

problem is that I really like coffee and chocolate.

also, drink a lot of water helps a lot.

Looks like we can all pretty much agree on caffeine and sugar. I don’t drink coffee/tea anyway, but I love chocolate :frowning:

You continue to miss the point. There are massive insights at stake with completing these studies - yet launching topics like this, about diet, whilst making statements like ‘Studies could take years and yield nothing’ - does nothing but give false hope to people. The implications of what you are saying are clear, though I’ll need to spell it out for you, since you seem incapable of seeing them for yourself: the studies may not find anything, so follow some web forum-based “protocol” for treatment.

The effect of what you are saying may tip people away from applying for the studies. Do you not understand what you are doing? Do you not have any idea at all? You may be tilting people away from participating in these university research studies. What kind of ridiculous arrogance do people on here possess, whereby they think they can beat this mess without the assistance of some world-leading doctors, experts in their fields.

What a mess.

You’re right, I’m not sure what I was thinking when I posted a topic about diet in the subforum titled ‘Natural Supplements, Diet & Exercise’.

As for the “ridiculous arrogance” you speak of, last week I had an hour long phone conversation with Chi who claims to have healed many side effects by changing up his diet, exercising, avoiding stress etc. He’s going to be featured in one of Adam’s podcasts soon, which I helped to arrange.

There’s absolutely no reason why people can’t work on their diet, so why not spend your time promoting the studies instead of unfairly taking your frustrations out here. I’ve done my bit for the clinical trials by signing up, creating a map of 1,000 PFS reports in relation to the study centres (bit.ly/1ouaYgi) and by encouraging people to sign up for the studies when/where appropriate. Claiming that I’m tilting people away from studies is nonsense and attacking every post that’s not about the studies is entirely unreasonable.

A little Coffee still helps me get going in the morning. My sleep is no worse off. My sleep is so fucked it couldn’t get much worse anyway.

1 Like

Avoid whole weat

Don’t waste your breath on him GELHEAD, you should know by now that he’s always right with his theories and if he’s not then he barks at you or squeeles to the mods

Just in the past few days I’ve read 3 separate threads where he has attacked people

He’s only interested in self credit and glorifying his own PFS symptoms that could quite possibly be solved through diet… Lol

The guy who texted me to say he’d rip my “fucking head off” claims I’m attacking people??

Since these text threats I’ve avoided you by deleting your mobile number and deleting you on Facebook. You, however, have continued to bait me by stalking my posts, including here and in another topic, where I ask for opinions about my blood tests and you reply telling me my PFS is “insignificant” and I should leave the forum:(viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9292)

I sent proof of these threats to Mew and he warned you already:

"Tiger’s, your swearing and rude comments are not appreciated. I have also seen the text threats you’ve made against the aforementioned member. Instead of being level-headed, it comes across as juvenile and immature. Give it a break, we all have better things to do with our time. "

This post is about DIET and it’s in the DIET subforum, so how about both you and Gelhead take your frustration elsewhere, because I’ve done absolutely nothing wrong.

Herein lies the problem for all PFS sufferers.