The Gut and the Eye

I thought this was quite the story.
Obviously in a scenario like this, your not looking at fecal transplants.
I can most definitely say I had one ear that started to go bad first. I also feel my earwax has changed post Accutane. I think I produce much less than I used to.

Thirty years ago, Andrew Goldberg encountered the Earwax Man.

As a young intern in Pittsburgh training to be an ear, nose and throat physician, Dr. Goldberg met a middle-aged patient who had recurring infections in one ear.

Dr. Goldberg and his colleagues would give him antibiotic drops, and the problem would go away. But then it would come back – until one day, when the man walked in and claimed the infection had disappeared.

“We just assumed that one of our myriad drop regimens had finally hit its mark and wiped out the guy’s bacteria,” said Dr. Goldberg, who now oversees sinus surgery at the University of California at San Francisco Medical Center.

The man knew otherwise. “You see,” he told the doctors, “I figured, I have one ear that’s bad and one ear that’s good, and whatever’s in my good ear I want to get over to my bad ear, so I just took some wax from my good ear and put it in my bad ear and within a couple days, I was fine.”

Dr. Goldberg just laughed uncomfortably at the man’s explanation back then. But today, he believes the patient was right: By putting earwax from one ear into the other, he was also transferring the bacterial colonies from the healthy ear into the sick one, and that probably cured his persistent infections.

This strange story is now a legend in the fast-growing field known as the human microbiome – the study of the trillions of bacteria that live inside us and the critical role they play in our health and in many of our diseases.

Ive talked about this in another thread.

The Gut and the Eye

The human gut houses up to 70% of the immune system. Within the gas­trointestinal tract live up to 100 trillion organisms, an ecosystem linked to both innate and adaptive immune function in animal models.1,2

Just how complex is the gut microbiome? An estimated 1,000 species of bacteria alone live com­mensally in the human digestive system, with 10 times the number of genes in the human genome.3 Only a few of these microbes are well understood. It’s as if, in a vast orchestra, only a handful of in­struments can be heard. But these early notes may lead to new therapeutic paradigms where the gut microbiome plays a role in treating eye disease.

Uveitis: The Most Studied Link

“Ocular inflammatory diseases like uveitis are thought to arise from systemic immune defects or alterations. And intestinal mucosal immunity, it turns out, is a very significant contributor to systemic immunity,”

^You might not find correlations here with stool bacteria or therapy from fecal transplants.
The intestinal mucosa will have its own separate microbiome.

1 Like