The corpus cavernosum after treatment with dutasteride or finasteride: A histomorphometric study in a benign prostatic hyperplasia rodent model

This is a very interesting recent paper (published June 8th, 2018).

ABSTRACT
Erectile dysfunction is a common side effect of finasteride and dutasteride treatments. The objective of this study was to investigate the structural changes in the penis using a benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) rodent model treated with dutasteride or finasteride. Sixty male rats were divided into the following groups: C, untreated control rats; C + D, control rats receiving dutasteride; C + F, control rats receiving finasteride; H, untreated spontaneously hypertensive rats (SHRs); H + D, SHRs treated with dutasteride; and H + F, SHRs treated with finasteride. Treatments were performed for 40 days, and penises were collected immediately thereafter. The organs were analyzed using histomorphometric methods to determine the cross-sectional penile area, as well as the surface density (Sv) of smooth muscle fibers, connective tissue, elastic system fibers, and sinusoidal spaces of the corpus cavernosum. The results were compared using a one-way ANOVA with Bonferroni’s posttest. Groups C + D and C + F had a significantly smaller penile cross-sectional area, but more elastic system fiber Sv compared to Group C. Group C + D showed less smooth muscle Sv, and Group H showed more connective tissue but a smaller sinusoidal space Sv in the corpus cavernosum compared to Group C. Groups H + D and H + F had less smooth muscle Sv than Group H. Group H + D also had more connective tissue and elastic system fiber Sv than Group H. Both dutasteride and finasteride promoted penile modifications in the control rat penis, although this affect was greater in Group H animals. In this rodent model, dutasteride was the drug that most affected the corpus cavernosum.

Full text available at:
http://www.ajandrology.com/preprintarticle.asp?id=233923

2 Likes

It would be great if someone who has followed this type of rat research and understands it better than me comments on the significance of this paper. Is it telling us anything new or significant?

1 Like

Pretty good study. Only 5 people looked at it? Or does that ticker reset? Was this already posted or known?

“the reduction of DHT, caused by the 5AR inhibitor treatment, decreases the nitric oxide relaxation response, impairing normal penile erections.”

2 Likes

Is that really what that ticker means? Only a few people have looked at that study or am I missing something?

This thought also doesnt need to be limited to penile erections, this could apply to the entire body. Ive seen some talk about a tense muscle, maybe more so a muscle contraction that doesn’t relax. These smooth muscles could also be involved in blood flow which also equals oxygen. The tiniest of muscle contractions let’s say even around the eyes that could hinder blood flow or vascular dilation.
This could be systemic. Pale skin, reduced cerebral blood flow, reduced vascular blood flow, thermal regulation.
I used to literally sense I wasnt getting good blood flow to my head and skin. I would want to go running or hang my head upside down to try to stimulate blood flow, and this was years ago. Many.
I dont sense it as much anymore, which isnt a good thing.
I think you want that heat or that warmth that some people talk about. You dont want to feel it fluctuating.

1 Like

I’m just going to paint this right now, just in case and so I can close this tab. I’m not trying to push this too hard and I’m very aware like most say your more likely to find something that will make you worse.

“the reduction of DHT, caused by the 5AR inhibitor treatment, decreases the nitric oxide relaxation response, impairing normal penile erections.”