Testosterone level recovery rate

I came across this study, “Primary Triple Androgen Blockade (TAB) followed by finasteride maintenance (FM) for clinically localized prostate cancer (CL-PC): Long term follow-up and quality of life (QOL)” during my searches on Finasteride.

pediatricca.asco.org/portal/site … ctID=20271

Although this doesn’t specifically relate to us (its about men with Prostate Cancer, who udnerwent triple androgen blockade treatment), there was a graph in the study showing Testosterone level recovery rate after the triple androgen blockade was ceased at month 13.

The graph is attached to this post. You can see that T rises quite rapidly but then takes a few years to rise even further… likely due to the Finasteride used after cessation of androgen blockade therapy.

Anyways, since in some of our own cases our T levels have been slowly creeping up on their own, perhaps as shown in the chart we may expect further increases, naturally.

Just a thought… and wanted to share this chart with you.

Good post and a good thought on the T levels coming back. The biggest problem is 99% don’t have a pre-finasteride T level.

I would suggest anyone who has a low T level run a course of PCT (maybe even 2 or 3 courses) before even considering TRT.

You can get great PCT advice on MESORX and if your Dr won’t help you can even get people who will tell you where to buy the drugs so you can run the PCT yourself and get your own blood tests.

Of course it’s better (safer and cheaper also) if you have a Dr who will help but if not the info on that board is better than most Dr’s will give you.

I have a pre finasteride blood test. My total T has dropped by a third and it never bounced back over 8 months. Not sure about Free T.

Is this the smoking gun we’ve been looking for? Is this the cause of our issues?

I came across the following info when looking at the side effects of androgen deprivation therapy for prostate cancer.

First, notice the attached graph at the BOTTOM of my post, from prostate-cancer.org/educatio … nemia.html

"Figure 5: Serum Testosterone Recovery with Respect to Patient Age and CHB Duration "

[i]Note: CHB means Combined Hormone Blockade. The patients underwent the following:

• (121/133, 91%) received leuprolide acetate (7.5 mg intramuscularly once monthly)
  • 116/133 patients (87%) received the antiandrogen flutamide (250 mg orally every 8 hours).
  • Forty-eight patients elected to add the 5 alpha-reductase inhibitor finasteride (5 mg orally twice a day) to their CHB. [/i]

… “[Size=4]The persistence of testosterone suppression [/size]in our older patients [Size=4]as long as 24 months off CHB was an unexpected finding[/size]. We have obtained serum LH levels in several of these patients in order to ascertain possible etiologies for this and found them all to be normal or only minimally elevated. This observation is inconsistent with testicular atrophy, where one would expect to see markedly elevated LH levels in response to low serum testosterone. [Size=4]This finding does suggest that prolonged androgen blockade may alter the LHRH receptor[/size], which should respond to low serum testosterone with a secondary rise in levels of LH.”

"Serum testosterone recovered, albeit more gradually than did hemoglobin levels, but was incomplete in patients > 68 years of age who were treated with CHB > 1 year."

The fact that even after discontinuing androgen deprivation therapy, T level recovery was incomplete for those who underwent treatment for greather than 1 year (albeit they were 68+ yrs) is very interesting to note. Also interesting to note is that, if yu look at the graph, they all experienced a “crash” in T levels at 3 months off treatment – similar to how many of us also experienced a post-Fin crash in T levels.

But even more interesting is the fact the researchers have a possible explanation for this: “This finding does suggest that prolonged androgen blockade may alter the LHRH receptor”.

Here’s an even better explanation:

pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articl … id=1831539

“Schally and associates purified the decapeptide gonadotropin-releasing hormone, also referred to as LHRH, in 1971. Chronic exposure to LHRH ultimately suppressed testosterone by desensitizing pituitary cells through downregulation of the LHRH receptors.”

So what is the LHRH receptor? Some background:

prostate-cancer.org/resource/gloss_l.html

LH: luteinizing hormone; a pituitary hormone that stimulates the Leydig cells of the testicles to make the male hormone testosterone

LHRH: luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone (also known as GnRH or gonadotrophin releasing hormone; hormone from the hypothalamus that interacts with the LHRH receptor in the pituitary to release LH). Responsible for stimulating the production of testosterone in the body by interacting with the LHRH receptor to release LH which in turn stimulates cells in the testicles (Leydig cells) to make testosterone.

LHRH analogs (or agonists): Synthetic compounds that are chemically similar to Luteinizing Hormone Releasing Hormone (LHRH), but are sufficiently different that they suppress testicular production of testosterone by binding to the LHRH receptor in the pituitary gland and either have no biological activity and therefore competitively inhibit the action of LHRH, or has LHRH activity that exhausts the production of LH by the pituitary; used in the hormonal treatment of advanced prostate cancer and in the adjuvant and neoadjuvant hormonal treatment of earlier stages of prostate cancer; LHRH agonist (mimics natural LHRH but then shuts down LH production after continuous exposure)

Further to all this – heres is how pituitary desensitization/LHRH receptor changes occur:

acnp.org/g4/GN401000058/CH058.html

Mechanisms of Action of GnRH Agonists

Native GnRH is released from the hypothalamus into the hypothalamo-hypophyseal portal vessels in an episodic (pulse) mode at approximately 90-minute intervals. This pattern of release is associated with pulsatile electrical activity in the hypothalamus. GnRH release leads to episodic release of LH and FSH from the anterior pituitary gland into the systemic circulation after binding to specific GnRH receptors on the cellular surface of gonadotrophs (39).

Receptors occupied by GnRH aggregate into clumps (‘coated pits’), and the receptor-ligand complex is internalized. Cellular responses to GnRH activities of pituitary gonadotrophs are mediated by plasma membrane “second messenger” systems, based on calcium-calmodulin and protein kinase regulatory processes.

In animal models and humans, these physiological events can be disrupted by continuous exposure to native GnRH or administration of long-acting analogs, causing what is termed desensitization to pituitary gonadotrophs. Constant exposure to native GnRH attenuates [decreases] gonadotropin release by downregulating the number of GnRH receptors and/or uncoupling the receptor from distal signal transduction pathways.

The same mechanisms are probably responsible for desensitization induced by GnRH agonistic analogs but may also involve other mechanisms of downregulation, as seen for b-adrenergic receptor in response to excessive agonist stimulation (41,180).

Briefly, when a GnRH agonist is administered, it first leads to supraphysiological LH and FSH secretion and initial stimulation of gonadal function. However, due to the continuous presence of the agonist, increased ligand binding causes maximal physical internalization of agonist-occupied receptors, disrupting gonadotroph receptor replenishment mechanisms and second messenger processes and leads to decreased LH and FSH secretion, with a subsequent reduction in gonadal steroid secretion.

Although pituitary desensitization is probably the principal mechanism responsible for decreased gonadal steroid secretion following GnRH agonist administration, other mechanisms may be involved in this phenomenon (e.g., loss of GnRH pulsatile secretion and subsequent disruption of gonadotropin episodic secretion, changes in serum immunoreactive and bioactive LH concentrations and gonadotropin [LH] gonadal receptor desensitization). Direct inhibitory effects of GnRH agonist at the gonadal level could also play a role.

So what am I getting at here?

Although Finasteride is not an LHRH Agonist, it nontheless does induce an upregulation of LH and Testosterone by 15-20% for as long as the drug is used, in most men. The question is, does Finasteride induce increases in LHRH/GnRH activity/release? Some studies I have read say no, however there are also studies saying that Finasteride has no effect on the hypo-thalamus pituitary axis … claims, which unfortunately, some have found to be untrue after discontinuation.

Since LH release is normally controlled by PULSATILE (aka, non-continous) LHRH (aka GnRH), perhaps continuous use of Finasteride & the resultant constant 15-20% LH/T upregulation led us to have “desensitization to pituitary gonadotrophs”… since we were creating an environment of continous exposure to native GnRH, which “attenuates [decreases] gonadotropin release by downregulating the number of GnRH receptors and/or uncoupling the receptor from distal signal transduction pathways.”

Complicated as that might sound, what I’m basically saying is: perhaps we downregulated and burnt out our pituitary LHRH receptors thanks to Fin’s constant upregulation of Testosterone/LH, so that after we quit, these receptors no longer respond to/recognize low levels of Testosterone in the body as they should (which normally would be to increase LH, to produce more Testosterone). In other words, these receptors/our pituitary has, thanks to Fin, been desensitized and “blinded” to low T, so that they do not think they need to release LHRH to produce more LH, and thus increase T.

… This concept also ties back to the researchers noting the lack of T recovery in the graph (“one would expect to see markedly elevated LH levels in response to low serum testosterone… This finding does suggest that prolonged androgen blockade may alter the LHRH receptor, which should respond to low serum testosterone with a secondary rise in levels of LH”)… for us ex-Fin users, this lack of complete T recovery post-Fin use is eerily similar to those men who did not completely recover their levels after cessation of androgen deprivation therapy.

The question I now have is – is there a way to upregulate LHRH/GnRH receptors, or is it possible to somehow “re-sensitize” the pituitary to “see” low levels of T, in order to increase LHRH/GnRH and produce more LH & T accordingly?

Haven’t done the research, so can’t say yet. And of course, this is all just theoretical conjecture… but at the same time, thought it might potentially offer another possible explanation for some of our post-Fin T-related issues.

1 Like

Hmmm…interesting find Mew, I’m still thinking it over…

A point of interest, there is some evidence that tamoxifen acts to sensitize the pituitary:

forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=102451

Pituitary Sensitivity to GnRH

But something more interesting is happening. Researchers were
also conducting GnRH stimulation tests before and after
various points of treatment with Nolvadex and Clomid, and the
two drugs had markedly different results. These tests
involved infusing patients with 100mcg of GnRH and measuring
the output of pituitary LH in response. The focus of this
test is to see how sensitive the pituitary is to Gonadotropin
Releasing Hormone. The more sensitive the pituitary, the more
LH will be released. The tests showed that after ten days of
treatment with Nolvadex, pituitary sensitivity to GnRH
increased slightly compared to pre-treated values. This is
contrast to 10 days of treatment with 150mg Clomid, which was
shown to consistently DECREASE pituitary sensitivity to GnRH
(more LH was released before treatment). As the study with
Nolvadex progresses to 6 weeks, pituitary sensitivity to GnRH
was significantly higher than pre-treated or 10-day levels.
At this point the same 20mg dosage was also raising
testosterone and LH levels to an average of 183% and 172% of
base values, respectively, which again is measurably higher
than what was noted 10 days into therapy. Within 10 days of
treatment Clomid is already exerting an effect that is
causing the pituitary to become slightly desensitized to
GnRH, while prolonged use of Nolvadex serves only to increase
pituitary sensitivity to this hormone. That is not to say
Clomid won’t increase testosterone if taken for the same 6
week time period. Quite the opposite is true. But we are,
however, noticing an advantage in Nolvadex.

I just took my last dose today, so we’ll find out in a month how useful this might be…

Right, I’ve heard of this before…so, elevated GnRH then, as hypothesized by this source, leads to pituitary desensitization and thus low testosterone.

I would just say that this then could not be the mechanism behind another related form of hypogonadism, anabolic steroid induced hypogonadism, which is caused by supraphysiological T, and thus low GnRH production.

And the mechanism would not, I don’t think, have much to do with the elevated testosterone, as much as it would have to do with the decreased DHT and increased estradiol, which are known to have much more significant effects in regulating GnRH release at the level of the hypothalamus.

Low DHT should favor GnRH release and thus densensitization, while high estrodiol should favor inhibition of GnRH release (and thus re-sensitization?). I think this may be why most studies in fact show no change in LH and FSH during finasteride treatment (I have a previous post in which review these studies; there is however one study demonstrating an LH, FSH decrease)

I must say though, that the graph you reference is very eerie indeed.

One last thought: if the mechanism underlying our low testosterone can in fact be attributed to GnRH-mediated densensitization, would this imply that lowering GnRH might lead to a resurgence of GnRH receptors? If so, would this not mean that TRT, which essentially eliminates GnRH altogether, might help in reestablishing GnRH receptors?

One last comment on the mechanism of action of tamoxifen…

By blocking estradiol at the hypothalamus, it acts to increase GnRH…and yet sensitization has been observed?

This would seem to conflict…unless, of course, there is some additional complexity to its mechanism…

One more thing:

I’d be very curious to see a GnRH test.

If this theory is correct, we should expect elevated GnRH, as the dysfunction is limited to the pituitary, which has difficulty responding to GnRH.

If GnRH is low as well, then we should suspect that the dysfunction may involve the hypothalamus…

Are GnRH tests ever done???

The problems I see with this are;

A) The mean (average testosterone) levels of men prior to treatment is stated in the abstract as 398ng/dl and the mean (average) testosterone levels post treatment as seen via the graph are actually higher not lower than that starting point.

B) The men that have been adversely affected in this setting with old men, something the majority of men at the site are not

C) The doses are far higher than that typically taken by guys at the site

D) There are multiple compounds used in this study, so finasteride in not the only factor involved.

E) When considering quality of life scores you have to consider the differing mean age and history of disease.

Given all the above factors I don’t think we can draw too much from it in the way of conclusions.

Importantly as happens so often in these studies is the people invloved are not fully conversant in all the mechanisms of action of the antiandrogens concerned and so form conclusions based on limited evidence.

There are no free testosterone results, free testosterone has not been tested.

If free testosterone is not tested then you absolutely require SHBG to be tested in order to form any accurate picture as to any individuals androgen status (in my opinion SHBG should be tested for everytime even if free testosterone is tested as it can help explain differences between good total testosterone and poor/significnatly differing free testosterone results).

In the study it would appear as though they have also failed to test for SHBG. Neither have they tested for estradiol which itself is via its own mechanism an androgen agonist.

So they have no idea of the androgen status of any of the men in that study and they are postulated a theory on the mechanism of action which they have no basis for. In truth they have no idea what is going on as they don’t have anything approaching an accruate hormonal picture.

If the older men had high levels of estradiol post treatment that would account for lowered LH and testosterone values- that could happen when there was no desenitisation of the pituitary.

Equally a high SHBG level and low free testosterone could account for poor quality of life- though admitedly not low total testosterone.

There is nothing in the theory that is wrong. It could very well be the case that the pituitary is desensitized in the situation they have studied. At a leap it is also possible that such a mechanism could occur with just finasteride, in younger men with lower doses…(big leap).

But and this is the point, there is absolutely no evidence to say this does happen.

Until a quality study is undertaken that studies finasteride in the setting of Propecia, Proscar etc on enough men, with the full and correct pathology…until then it is up in the air.

What we do know is that A) finasteride often results in low testosterone via low LH and low testosterone or high SHBG and low free testosterone…they are the most common things we see via pathology at this time.

Hope this mail makes sense.

An old but still relevant thread. I have come across very rare cases of T recoveries in these forums. Only if there was a way to resensitive those lhrh receptors…

1 Like