Suing local pharma company producing generic Finasteride?

When I took Finasteride in 2015, it was already a generic drug, as far as I understand.
Is it worth suing the local pharma company that has been producing/selling Finasteride as a generic drug?
Actually in 2015 the leaflet in the generic drug in Latin America said nothing about persistent effects, while in the US Propecia added it in 2012 (I think).
This gap between the leaflet in the US (which already warned about persistent effects in 2012) and the leaflet in Latin America (no warning in 2015) could be a good basis for a lawsuit against the local pharma company and the local FDA?

4 Likes

This may be a possibility. In the US, one cannot sue a generic manufacturer so long as they followed the label updates (side effect list) introduced by the name-brand manufacturer.

If the law is the same in your country, the generic manufacturer may get away with a drug liability issue if the name-brand manufacturer did not update the label in accordance with warnings provided to US consumers.

On the other hand, The name-brand manufacturer may be liable for damage caused by a generic.

You would really need an attorney knowledgable about the law in your country to provide a definite answer.

1 Like