Study Updates Please?

I have been looking for updates to all of the studies in the works, but I cannot seem to find anything. Could anyone with knowledge of the situation PLEASE let us know what is going on?

It would be really great if there was more organization to what studies are being done / where they are being done / what the state of the study is / what are the results or when can we expect them. A dedicated webpage would be ideal. I will donate the time to make it for propeciahelp, but I need to know what’s up!

There will be a new study released very soon but for obvious reasons the foundation and other organisations carrying out studies into PFS cannot let it be public knowledge for such reasons as Merck finding out for one and also, until studied are published, findings are not accurate.

Be patient, trust me, things are happening as we speak, watch this space.

Hopefully propecia is recalled before the end of the year.

Mark, I can tell you for a fact, that is not going to happen.

Perhaps a realistic time scale might be between 2-5 years for a recall of Propecia, which should fall inline with the PFS foundations Baylor and Brigham study findings and publications which will turn up the heat on FDA to pull Propecia from the market.

Well if its not banned hopefully the sales of it will go through the floor when the studies are released.

Also hair loss doctors may stop promoting the drug because they will be afraid of getting sued. They will no longer be able to make moronic statements that the side effects go way in “100% of cases”.

The sales are already going down

Citing the loss of patent protection, drug maker Merck reported that third-quarter 2013 sales of its male pattern hair loss drug Propecia declined 32 percent from the same period in 2012 to $71 million.

http://www.reichandbinstock.com/homepage/blog/391-propecia-victims-down-but-not-out.html

But that doesn’t stop the FDA and the manufactures from approving 1mg generic

Manufacturer: ACCORD HLTHCARE INC
Approval date: November 5, 2013
Strength(s): 1MG [AB]
Manufacturer: ACTAVIS TOTOWA
Manufacturer: AUROBINDO PHARMA LTD
Manufacturer: DR REDDYS LABS INC
Approval date: July 28, 2006
Manufacturer: HETERO LABS LTD III
Approval date: July 1, 2013
Manufacturer: MYLAN PHARMS INC
Manufacturer: SUN PHARMA GLOBAL
Approval date: July 1, 2013
Manufacturer: TEVA

http://www.drugs.com/availability/generic-propecia.html
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cder/drugsatfda/index.cfm?fuseaction=Search.Overview&#totable

Under the current law you can’t sue the generic manufacturer, when will it end!

Or it can stay on the market when researchers find a fairly simple fix

The best simple fix is to have never taken the drug in the first place.

It would worry me that if a treatment or cure does come out that people will think they can manage the side effects. The message should be sent out to never ever take Finasteride it is one of the most dangerous drugs you can ever take.

I couldn’t agree with you more Mark

Well said.

I wonder how merck and the hair loss industry will respond to the studies ?

I think they will probably say that the study was “too small” to have any relevance or that it was somehow “biased” and that sexual dysfunction is a common condition which has nothing to do with Finasteride.

A bigger part of the 32% fall of the sales probably just is the prevalence of generic tablets and competition for the market. Generic is a lot cheaper. There are so many guys still in love with the drug, therefore I think it’s a lost battle for you. It’s normal for a drug’s popularity to skyrocket at first, but then stabilize to a lower level, as the real indications and side effects are found out. Finasteride 1 mg will never leave the market totally.

At this point, I assume these studies aren’t even happening any more. Is that right? The most simple of updates on any of this stuff would be extremely encouraging to ALL of us.

it does take some time for them to get back to you, but i did speak with someone for the baylor study and they said as far as they knew everything was proceeding well … it is a time consuming process but everything is good … no worries

Is there any possibility the study will be released this month ?

I flew to Houston last week to take part in the study - mostly just to talk with Dr. Khera. It was a fairly easy process and it only cost a few hundred dollars for travel expensives so it was worth it.

Unfortunately, from what the research coordinate indicated, they are having some trouble getting participants, especially men who took finasteride but don’t have PFS (the control group). She said that they’ve had maybe ten or so PFS patients come in but they haven’t had any asymptomatic patients.

They’ve had open enrollment since the fall so it’s a little discouraging that it hasn’t progressed further although not particularly surprising. Scientific research is a slow process.

Weren’t there only two groups, Finasteride group who developed PFS, and the Finasteride-naive control group?

I saw the university was recruiting patients on yesenia.rodriguez@bcm.edu asking if they still need people and if I was eligible to do it. Haven’t got answer back :frowning:

You’re right - there’s only two groups in the study. When I spoke with one of the research coordinators, she made it sound like the control group was men who took finasteride but didn’t develop symptoms afterward but the overview of the study components I was sent does say finasteride-naive so I’m not sure which it is.

What I do know is that she said they have no one for the control population at this time.

ı hope they dont cancel the research.
Thıs selfısh fınasterıde users wıll never accept thıs research because they must pay 800$ for us. even doctors dont belıeve thıs syndrome

Aren’t these tests more or less basic . I mean except the biopsy these are very basic tests .

I made many of them 4 - 5 years ago … there was nothing they found out unfortunatelly …

maybe I’m misinformed but why don’t they get more into the neuroscientific research . There lies the problem in my opinion …
maybe receptor problems this would be the only worth thing to investigate in the hormon sector but it seems to me that this won’t be researched in this study , am I wrong ???

it’s so slow… everything is so slow and I’m getting older and older … this sucks !