Study Participation Experiences. A call to arms.

This thread will keep track of study participation. Anybody who plans on going, wants to call out somebody who should go or has gone to a study, can post in this thread. If you want to discuss current homebrew versus science trends in this community, you can post here also. Same goes for any ideas about how to increase study participation, so that studies are filled much more quickly.

[Size=4]1) Reason for lack of participation: [/size]

A lot of members of this forum, refuse to participate in studies. This is proven by the fact, that Baylor is still looking for participants, despite launching their study in October 2013. The reasons for the lack of participation are:

a) Overinvestment in homebrew.

This is what I call the homebrew insanity carousel. It starts off with one person recovering. If he is sane, he says that he doesnt know why he recovered and leaves it at that. But many people are not sane. Instead they draw a CAUSAL! relationship between their actions during recovery and their recovery process. Meaning: If they ate aspargus, they believe aspargus cured them. If they worked out, they order that everyone should hit the gym. If they swallowed XYZ pill, they order everyone to swallow XYZ pill. This call to homebrew, is immediatley answered by desperate, PFS stricken patients. They run out and buy the protocols ingredients. Then they start asking the thread starter thousands of questions: When should I swallow the pills? How should I work out? What amount of aspargus should I eat? What where your signs of recovery? Their normal symptom fluctuations are suddenly all casually linked to the protocol of their Messiah. Meaning: Today I was feeling a bit horny BECAUSE I ate aspargus. 1000s of dollars are wasted and hours of time spend on these Messiah threads. Eventually people realize, that nobody except the thread starter is recovering. Instead of drawing the right conclusions they jump on the next insanity carousel. It escapes them, that time is the common element of recoveries and that the rest is conjecture.

The problem with this is, that the posters put all their eggs in the Messiah protocol basket. They dont participate in studies, and they are not donating as much as they should.

Basically, they would rather invest their time and resources in the theory of an anonoumous homebrewer, than in scientific research at top institutions, that will uncover the biological mechanisms of their condition.

Over a decade has past since this insanity carousel and homebrew bullshit started. The results are anything but impressive: No treamtent and no explanation of what might have caused PFS.

b) In Denial

This leads me to the next reason, why people do not want to participate in studies: They are hoping for the quick fix. Study participation would mean that they at least partially ackknowledge, that this problem is to complex too be patient solveable. It would also mean that they recognize, that a cure or remedy might take time and is out of their immediate control. Thus many homebrewers are in denial mode. They will quickly fix themselves for the next decade as they have done for the last decade.

c) Lazyness & false assumptions

The last one, is that many are just to lazy to participate. They make excuses for their lazyness, like that they are physical incapable of participating. They also hold the believe, that somebody else will do it anyway. Their lazyness thus has no negative effect. The reality is, that these studies are taking ages to fill.

I want to call all of you to arms. Lets get science involved! Lets ALLOW! researchers to do their work, by participating. Passive behaviour is not enough. If you dont participate, scientists cant do their work, as YOU! are their research subjects.

The basic question is the following: Would you rather invest your time, trust and resources in a homebrewer, or a harvard researcher?

Up till now, the clear answer has been: Homebrew. Studies are not completed because people are to busy praying at the altar of the latest Messiah.

[Size=4]2) What is the research trying to accomplish?[/size]

"Determining the underlying biologic mechanisms of post-finasteride syndrome requires further clinical and basic science research.

Through such research, we aim to uncover the underlying biologic mechanisms of PFS while broadening media, medical and scientific awareness of the syndrome to better enable:

-Identification of novel PFS risk factors (genetic predispositions or otherwise) in a subset of the population
-Identification of novel underlying biologic mechanisms for the syndrome and why it persists even after quitting the drug
-Development of effective treatments for PFS patients worldwide

Current research is focused on determining underlying biologic mechanisms for the syndrome at a molecular level, as will future initiatives. Specifically:

-Genetic risk factors for PFS
-Androgen receptor expression in PFS patients
-Hormonal profiles of PFS patients
-Full genome gene expression profiles and pathway analysis in PFS patients
-Proteins encoded by androgen responsive genes (ARGs)
-Neurosteroid levels in PFS patients
-Epigenetic chromatin alterations in PFS patients"

pfsfoundation.org/research/

[Size=4]3) How to particpate: [/size]

If you want to participate in a study contact Phillip Roberts at media@pfsfoundation.org. If you cant afford to travel to the study site, the foundation can help you out. Often contacting Phillip Roberts will hasten the process; direct contact with the university conducting the study will often consume more time.

If you still want to follow a particular quick fix, or homebrew method, do so, but at least simultaneously participate in studies. Only then can you go to sleep with the knowledge that you are attacking the problem from every angle.

Anybody who wants to commit to participate in a study, but needs somebody to kick his lazy butt if he doesnt follow through, can announce their participation here.

[Size=4]This thread will be a measure of the health and productivity of this community. If there are no posts in this thread documenting participation in a study, you can be certain that this forum is highly irrational and miles away from a cure. [/size]

ALL HAIL THE NEW MESSIAH: PVDL!!!

The studies messiah! The studies! The studies! Get studious now or regret it later with his big font size commandments of wisdom! He shall lead us all to study paradise (first you have to sit on your ass and wait a decade or more until they figure out or don’t figure out what is actually wrong with you)! EXPERIMENTING ON ONESELF IS FORBIDDEN! YOU WILL INCUR THE WRATH OF THE STUDY MESSIAH: PVDL!

This post by this medieval peasant really demonstrates the obtuse mentallity of some of the homebrewers.

I never said you CANT! homebrew. I said pls also participate in the studies you irrational nut.

He condemns studies because they take time.

Get a grip.

@ bizzbee333 - No one is saying that you cant try something. YOU ARE SUCH A LITTLE RAT

I reached out twice to Baylor – in July and October this year. Did not hear back, and I’m surprised to hear that they’re still looking for people. Will contact mr. Roberts.

Their staff wasn’t doing a very good job. They have since changed coordinators.

Baylor still needs a few people, but they are only taking people with their own insurance at the moment. ($$$) As far as all the people trying this and that on here, do whatever you want, nobody is going to stop you. But you could end up fucking yourself up worse because your essentially just blind firing until the actual causation gets pinned down. I don’t blame people for wanting to try, but rationality must come into play at some point. I rarely log on here anymore not because I’m cured, (though my mental sides are not as bad as they were) I just got sick of all the pseudo-science crap that gets pushed by some of the desperate people on here.

But hey if you want to try something like rubbing your balls in honey and going swimming naked in the dead sea thats all you!

If you contact Mr. Roberts / the foundation and tell him about your difficulties, you will quickly get booked. I can state that with the upmost conviction.

Thanks for your efforts!

I think it will be great for everyone participating, as direct contact with real scientists is very informative.

Thanks, I contacted the email link you provided above. Hopefully this will not be a difficult process. Did you say our personal insurance plan would have to cover this? I have a pretty restrictive health plan and doubt this will be covered by my insurance, especially if it is a clinical trial.

You’re Mini-Me?? I had no idea. No wonder you’re such a cunt.

I will be honest bizbee. You need some anger management. No offense.

PVDL- when are you headed to the us to participate?

Haha I love all the fighting and bickering! When I felt like crap for years I use to be supportive of people and now I get a kick out of it.

I try to be supportive of the guys who are new and going through intense crash phase. After awhile PFS just makes you a cranky SOB however.

I am calling out depressed guy, who has been hit hardest to participate in Baylor. Here are his reasons for not participating:

I will fly out to Baylor with him! There are no excuses.

PVDL is absolutely right on this. People sarcastically calling him a messiah because he’s advocating on research of PFS by world leading experts is ridiculous. The only people who need calling out are the ones who play pretend Dr, falsely claiming they are the ones with a cure.

The reality is that we will not get to the bottom of these issues hypothesizing amongst ourselves in front of our computer screens trying to be armchair Drs. It’s why the studies done by world leading experts at Baylor and Harvard are so important and our only way to getting to the heart of the issue. Doing our most to get those studies completed is our best hope of finding a cure. I just wish more people on this board would start putting their energy behind that and stop chasing delusional pipe dreams in other avenues.

For years myself and thousands on here have been tormented by pfs without a single advocate or dr in our corner. Now a foundation has been created by parents of sons who suffered from pfs to finally advocate and get studies done on our behalf, and how did we respond as a group. The reaction of many people on this board has been to put it down, show zero support and be negative towards it. What the hell are you people thinking!! If there are those of you out there that don’t agree with op, fine, just move on to the next thread. Why come onto this thread and even bother commenting. The sarcastic posts with name calling and bickering is pointless.

To those saying that there’s no harm in trying your own home brew ideas found on these boards made up by wannabe dr’s, your wrong. Do you know how many countless men on here, myself included have worse symptoms after trying suggestions found on these pages. Every suggestion for a drug or herb I’ve found on these boards over the last 6 years that I’ve been here have made me worse.

The new contact details for the baylor study:

Sharon Harrison at sharons@bcm.edu or call (713) 798 2240.

pfsfoundation.org/wp-content … -02-14.jpg

If they dont reply, get Phillip Roberts involved (he will make sure that things move along quickly): media@pfsfoundation.org

I have contacted the study and am waiting for my appointment time. This only works if we stop talking and actually go. Are you going to go westside? Last I checked they still needed 10 guys.

Its not a clinical trial. They will code the procedures for your insurance. If you have expenses over and above that just coordinate with Phillip media@pfsfoundation.org.

And I’m calling out PVDL to participate.