Steroidogenesis Inhibitor Finasteride Reduces the Response to Both Stressful and Rewarding Stimuli

This article comes at no surprise but also note that the hypothalamus is also responsible for controlling adrenaline, body temperature, etc…

5 Likes

Good publication.

Sure is! I believe this same article was posted a few years ago but still a good reminder regarding the effects of finasteride on the hypothalamus. I’ve had instances were my heart would suddenly speed up then slow down, speed up then slow down. This all started while on propecia which seems to point to both the sympathetic and parasympathetic systems which is controlled by…you guessed it; the hypothalamus.

2 Likes

This paper helps put some words to how I’ve been feeling. I don’t really experience stress physiologically (no sweating, heart rate changes, etc) and neither do I feel pleasurable events or emotions.

3 Likes

Same here.

Same brother. I’m working on my masters in psychology and currently enrolled in an emotions course. The basic functions of the limbic systems which controls emotions are the thalamus (and hypothalamus), cortex, and amygdala. I suspect finasteride had minimal impact on the amygdala because there are multiple posts about feelings of anger. I also think that our cortex is intact because we can still reason. The hypothalamus is responsible for various functions to include hormone release, nervous system, etc…it’s also one of the main dopamine hub. Whatever propecia did to this part of the body, it still lingers.

so is there a substance that would target those pathways affected by fin

That would have to be at the discretion of a medical provider. I have my own ideas but I’ll keep that to myself as I’m no expert in neurotransmitters and neuroscience. This also includes gut health which is also responsible for serotonin and other hormones.

1 Like

You are funny guy.

Maybe you can be more open to discussion ? otherwise what’s the point of your post.

Brother, let’s avoid personal attacks as that has no value in this forum. I am choosing to keep my personal thoughts to myself as my experiments only made my situation worse. I for example thought that 5 HTP would make things better but it did not. I have also thought about Dopamine meds such as Wellbutrin but that has been met with bad side effects by members on this forum.

Good luck finding a treatment that hasn’t been met by at least one person reporting bad side effects. Most notice improvements or no change (>80%) on Wellbutrin.

1 Like

That’s the part that’s frustrating about this matter. Results are a mixed bag for people.

When do any drug or treatment for almost any condition not include the chance of ill effects?

1 Like

Have you tried Wellbutrin?

Not personally, no.

1 Like

After posting this article, I reflected on the common side effects of Wellbutrin which includes insomnia, heart racing, muscle tremors, dry skin etc…it made me reflect on finasteride being a dopamine inhibitor. Since coming off of finasteride, in theory, our bodies should be increasing dopamine which makes me think that our bodies might be responding in a similar way such that side effects of Wellbutrin appear due to increased dopamine. Within the mind, I’m curious if our brain is now having a higher level of dopamine and therefore responding in a such a way that manifests as similar side effects of Wellbutrin. Unfortunately this is not a capsule that we can alternate to another time to sleep better. I also oddly think why some of us wake up around 2 or 3 am and then will toss and turn into 6 am. Why 2 or 3? What body processes are being checked during that time? Thoughts?