SSRIs?

I would give any amount of money to take nothing and FEEL OK. So I sympathize with waiting it out and letting things heal. I couldn’t suffer any longer mentally. Good Luck to you

1 Like

Do you get any sides with your antidepressants?

1 Like

Even if he were encouraging people to use SSRIs, I don’t really have a problem with it. It is a personal choice for everybody.

I don’t tell people that finasteride is the devil and nobody should try it. I think it probably does even more harm than we realize but I advocate for patients to make their own informed and rational decisions. Some guys are so desperately dependent on their hair and appearance, for some legitimate reasons, that it might be worth it for them to take an informed risk. It’s not for me to say. In my experience, that type of balanced approach helps people steer clear of finasteride more effectively than making them fear the drug.

As for SSRIs, I think they can potentially offer a lot of benefit and unfortunately, as we see on this forum, it can cause big problems in a minority of people. If we already have PFS, can SSRIs make us worse or are we already protected? We don’t know this answer so that is a risk one has to think about. But taking a risk to cure your mental health often makes so much more sense than for cosmetic reasons in my opinion. I wouldn’t want anybody to be too traumatized to even consider an option that made make their quality of life that much better.

SSRI and finasteride are both antiandrogens they do and act in very similar ways,nothing personal but isn’t either a great advice to be tollerant about “choices” ,i’m in this mess thanks for nine days only on SSRI.

1 Like

I am very sorry about your horrible reaction to an SSRI. Do you have just sexual dysfunction or other symptoms as well? Even though it does cause very bad damage to a very small group of people, doesn’t mean it can’t help others. There are some people that might be suffering so much that it is worth it for them try because the chances of them getting worse from an SSRI seem like they’re very low but the chances of improvement are likely much higher.

I’ve tried SSRIs for myself and they didn’t work at all, but my experience or yours won’t necessarily be the experience for everybody.

Moved off-topic conversation about SSRIs in the Sage-217/Zuranalone topic to here.

I really do hope you reconsider this statement. People say the same about Accutane in the context of severe acne and nearly identical comments about finasteride are posted on hair loss forums. If you are of the opinion that for some, there is nothing left to lose, then I still ask you to reconsider this view. I got burnt by thinking that way. IMO, there is always something left to lose and things can always get worse.

There is also the question of efficacy of SSRI medications, as a recent Cochrane review found only a slight benefit over placebo. Are you potentially trading something for nothing in the event you are in the rare minority?

My personal experience with an SSRI was transient worsening of sexual and mental symptoms of PAS and development of brain fog and derealization that wasn’t present prior to taking it.

2 Likes

a finasteride victim taking an ssri is basically like getting PFS and then taking finasteride again

you dont have a problem with that? okay

That’s the thing. There are a few people on this site who say their SSRI use is worth it and some on the PSSD forum continue to take risks with other SSRIs. This is a bit of a gray area, but that point has been made.

1 Like

I expect this opinion to be controversial in this community and for very good reason but it needs to be heard. Lots of guys are suicidal on here with zero prospect of treatment and it makes no sense at that point if you are thinking of going through with it to be too scared to try SSRIs. There are other drug classes such as MAOIs, SNERIs, anticonvulsants, atypical antidepressants that don’t carry the same SSRI risks. Every single one of here got burned, but that doesn’t mean we should stop taking medicine for the rest of our lives. Zuranolone will be another antidepressant when it comes out that will carry its own set of risks and potential rewards. I certainly won’t jump to be the first PFS patient to try it but it carries some promise. There’s a reasonable way to approach this that will be different for everybody.

Regarding finasteride, I think it might make sense for professional actors, models, people whose biggest strength are their looks and hair, or people who are really suicidal over the prospect of losing hair. Personally, I think it is a bad idea for most anybody to take this drug and they should see a therapist to work through these issues if they are so attached to their looks, but it isn’t up to me to make this decision for them.

Generally, when you respect the fact that they are really struggling with this decision and you present the facts and risks so they can make up their own decision, they’re much more inclined to properly weigh the risks of finasteride. There are a million PFS patients who go on Reddit and other forums and cry bloody murder and it doesn’t help anybody, especially the credibility of our community here.

1 Like

I don’t think this analogy works very well because SSRIs are not the drug class that caused PFS in the first place. Also, finasteride is a cosmetic drug while SSRIs are used to treat significant mental health issues.

You are much more likely to harm yourself if you re-expose yourself to the drug that injured you in the first place.

1 Like

There remains the question of whether it is drug class or peripheral effects that lead to manifestation of post-drug syndrome in susceptible individuals. For many here, a 5-ari didn’t lead to PFS during the first exposure. The claim of someone being more likely to be harmed by re-exposure to the drug, or class of drugs that led to this condition, along with the idea that one is less likely to be harmed by a substance outside of that initial class, is unsubstantiated.

To the contrary, there have also been patients across the PFS and PSSD forum claiming favorable responses during re-exposure. I think it’s a terrible idea, but this appears to be one of the few things that moves the needle on symptoms, for better or worse.

As a general site policy, we admonish the use of substances that have ruined lives of members here, and, as you said, there are many antidepressants outside of serotonergic substances and the SSRI/SNRI classes of drugs that can be considered.

2 Likes

There have been cases of people getting worse after taking finasteride again after developing PFS. PFS can also get progressively worse if you remain on the drug after developing initial side effects. I haven’t seen anybody report improvements after taking finasteride post-PFS so I won’t comment on that, but there is definitely a risk of getting worse.

At a forum where a lot of the guys here are suicidal and without many options, I think its irresponsible to employ black and white thinking and say SSRIs should never be taken.

You are much more likely to harm yourself if you re-expose yourself to the drug that injured you in the first place.

Where is the evidence for this claim?

1 Like

There’s a lot of evidence but there’s a protocol used in drug testing called the challenge and rechallenge to see if a causal relationship between the adverse event and drug.

There are also some people on here with PFS that took finasteride because they thought it would help reset them (maybe its possible in some but its speculative), but they got worse.

But in general it’s kind of common sense though. If you burn yourself with a fire, reapplying the fire is going to worsen the burn. These drugs could be an exception for sure, but without a deeper understanding about the mechanisms of these diseases, it is not a great bet that paradoxically taking more finasteride will be the cure to PFS. The more likely case is that you are playing with fire.

Give them time they will get tired of this condition. Its easy to come here in the first year and shame others for taking antidepressants. After some time passes they will get tired of missing out on living their best life (for me that means without brain fog and being able to be happy). Could care less about sex life I care about spending time with family and friends now days.

Are you sure your Zoloft is working on your brain fog?

You seem to be confusing “taking caution of antidepressants” as “shaming” and then proceed to shame us. Projecting much?

I’m skeptical of your story

Let’s end that discussion here no point in arguing over SSRI use. Once Sage is out that will be the medicine to take. No it may not be perfect but I’m confident it is the answer to mental restoration. My real fear is how long, and how much money will it cost. But I’ve come this far I’ve never been more hopeful of a realistic treatment than now.

1 Like

There’s no need to be hostile. This will be an emotional issue for many involved. Some of the PSSD guys here suffered greatly as a result from taking SSRIs but they are in the small minority of men. I understand why it would hurt them if this is supposed to be a sanctuary for them, yet people are suggest they may even be useful here. It isn’t easy to consider that something that has caused you so much suffering, may actually benefit somebody else.

I did somewhat get shamed a little in another thread for suggesting SSRIs may be helpful to some and worth considering. It’s not a big deal. Even if some people are considering SSRIs for their PFS, it doesn’t in any way invalidate the harm they can do to others. It’s just not a black and white issue.

1 Like

agree its complex.

FYI i got worse from taking 5HTP and frikkin castor oil

htp i was trying to get better sleep

and castor oil i was taking for constipation.

the 5htp damaged me permanently but i recovered from the castor oil