Side effects due to an decreased prostate caused by Propecia?! UPDATED - New approach

Again, it has nothing to do with THIS thread.

oh i just posted it in this thread because there was the most action here and i would get the quickest reply

Typically you won’t get the reply you are looking for by hijacking someone’s thread. Especially since it has nothing to do with the topic of THIS thread. Start your own thread and if someone can answer you, they will. You would be better off doing some research on this site before asking questions that you could otherwise get the answer to with some reading.

I’ve just completed my first week on 1600mg Quercetin and 400mg Bromelain Enzyme. And I don’t feel any different so far. No sides from it or benefits.

I’m thinking It won’t change anything for the first few weeks, if it changes anything at all.

I’ll keep taking it and keep you guys posted.

I find the Quecertin(sp?) is causing a lot of Benign Muscular Fasciculation, it’s annoying. I have had it mildly since I was in my teens though.

your dates do not match your intial story.

Just finished my second week on quercetin. 1600mg a day
Don’t feel any changes yet, good or bad.
I’ll keep taking it and keep you guys posted.

Interesting thing. There’s a study in tissues showing that dexamethasone increases androgen metabolites level, through 5 alfa reductase activation. This may be the reason why this medicine has work for cytochrome. It’s a possibility.

endocrine-abstracts.org/ea/0 … 004p82.htm

Endocrine Abstracts (2002) 4 P82

INHIBITION OF DEXAMETHASONE MEDIATED ANDROGEN METABOLISM BY LEVAMISOLE IN ORAL PERIOSTEAL FIBROBLASTS

A Tilakaratne1 & M Soory2

1Periodontology, Faculty of Dental Sciences, University of Peradeniya, Sri-Lanka.; 2Periodontology, GKT, King’s Dental Hospital, London, UK.

Glucocorticoids modulate the effects of other hormones and also mediate cell function. Dexamethasone, in common with androgen metabolites, has been shown to increase alkaline phosphatase activity and bone specific marker proteins The aim of this investigation is to establish an androgen responsive element to dexamethasone as an index of regenerative potential in the periodontium, using the alkaline phosphatase inhibitor levamisole (L). 4 cell lines of oral periosteal fibroblasts were established in culture, using tissue isolated from periodontal patients (20-40y) requiring mucogingival surgery (obtained local Ethical Committee approval). Duplicate incubations of confluent monolayer cultures were performed in multiwell plates using 14C-testosterone or 14C-4-androstenedione as substrates in Eagle’s MEM. Optimal concentrations of dexamethasone (1 and 3 micrograms/ml) were added to the incubation in the presence or absence of an inhibitory concentration of L(30microgram/ml). At the end of a 24h incubation period, the medium was solvent extracted with ethyl acetate, evaporated to dryness, solubilised in chloroform and subjected to thin layer chromatography for separation of metabolites. The separated metabolites were quantified using a radioisotope scanner. Dexamethasone caused significant stimulation of 5 alpha reductase and 17beta hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase enzyme activity, increasing the yields of DHT by 44-48% and 4-androstenedione by 35% from testosterone as substrate. L inhibited these enzyme activities by 28-30% and there was an intermediate response, with values similar to those of controls, when Dex was combined with L (n=6; p<0.01). When 4-androstenedione was used as substrate, the metabolites formed were DHT, testosterone, diols and androstanedione. Except T, other metabolites showed significant increases of 26-45% in response to Dex, 23-31% inhibition by L and intermediate responses similar to control values in response to combinations of Dex+L. All values were significant (n=6; p<0.01). Androstanedione is an important intermediary in the formation of DHT from androstenedione, by 5 alpha reduction. The result indicates that the anabolic potential of dexamethasone in stimulating biologically active androgens can be mediated by alkaline phosphatase activity.

Very important information! Thank you!
I remember another important thing!

At the time I took Dexamethasone I used a med called mutaflor. This seems to be a mediator for the metabolic effect of Dexa. See ur posted study. That could mean that e.coli forsters the effect of dexamethasone on activation the reductase encym…
see: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alkaline_phosphatase

onto something here…

Again, let a doctor prescribe this…You must be under supervision, this is a powerful drug…20x more power than hydrocortisone.

It is 30 time more potent than cortisol. 0,5mg is too low to generate side effects. 0,5mg Dexamethason is equal to appr. 15mg Cortsol. Endogen production is appr. 40-60mg daily. 0,5mg Dexa is within this range so there are no side effects.

attached find the original paper referring to androgen metabolism and dexamethasone.
maybe of interst for somebody.
in the meantime i got contact with the authors about the creatine study.
they are pretty sure that 5alpha reductase is mediating the observed effect. they have no idea which isoform nor which tissue. anyways - creatine has been linked with hair loss (controversial but reported by some users), so in this regard it might be in our favour- don’t know.
it might be worth looking further to creatine since i know there will be a reply (comment, letter to the editor?) to the original creatine publication.
dexa androgens.pdf (142 KB)

Just letting you guys know that i’m gonna stoped taking quircetin a few days ago. I’ll be seeing a doctor on friday and he’s going to order some blood tests for me and i don’t want to be taking anything when the tests are taken that could influence the test results.

Ok, this might sound stupid, but I did some research regarding dexamethasone because last night I said “screw it” and took .25 of Dex. I cut the standard .5mg pill in have, took it, and went to sleep. Well, I slept all night with a good erection, similar to pre-fin time wise (most all night consistent wood) but slightly less than pre-fin intensity wise. It was hard, but not throbbing hurting hard like old pre-fin days, but hard enough to feel good about it. I remember it getting hard while laying down before falling completly asleep. Well in the morning it was still hard and had to do the “leaning over take a piss routine” (something I completely forgot about since taking properia/avodart) in the morning, just like pre-fin days. Now, the intensity wasn’t throbbing hard, but it was good enough. After about 5 mins of waking time and jumping in the shower, it slowly subsided.
Well, at work today I noticed that my mind was more clear than normal. Now, for the last two weeks I have been doing a PCT which consist of Arimidex, Nolvadex, Inhibit-e and blue up. So I figure that my T should be higher than normal, which I feel it is through the normal high T signs and symptoms, and estrogen should be kept in check. So I did some research this morning because I remember Dex increase 5AR activity, but wasn’t quite sure.
Now, I’m not sure, but it appears the CTGF increases 5AR activity and Dex increases CTGF expression. So perhaps with my high T because of the PCT I’m on, and using Dex before bed, Dex might have stimulated 5AR, and 5AR had plenty of T to work with - just a guess. I’m going to try it again tonight of course, but so far its feeling pretty good, not normal of course, but it’s feeling better. Maybe a 2 month long PCT with low dose Dex might help.
Here is my “research”…I could be wrong with the “research” which doesn’t bother me because I’m feeling better.

jbc.org/content/273/29/18185.full Dexamethasone  CTFG TFG Beta 1  5AR induction

Dexamethasone simulates CTFG “dexamethasone treatment resulted in a strong induction of CTGF mRNA expression. Maximal induction was seen as early as 1 h after addition of the steroid, and increased CTGF mRNA levels were still observed after 10 h.”

CTFG TFG Beta 1, 2 simulate 5AR ihop-net.org/UniPub/iHOP/pm/ … id=7796940

Glucocorticoids Induce Angiotensin-Converting Enzyme Expression in Vascular Smooth Muscle hyper.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/short/25/3/343
Glucocorticoids (dexamethasone)  Angiotensin  TFG Beta  5AR
“In response to the glucocorticoid dexamethasone (100 nmol/L for 72 hours), ACE activity (hydrolysis of [3H]benzoyl-Phe-Ala-Pro) increased 10.1±3.1-fold.”

Aginotensin stimulates TFG Beta
ajpregu.physiology.org/cgi/conte … 278/3/R640

very interesting…are you taking .5mg of dex per day …or 2x a week type of deal?

Well… I only took .25 (half a pill) last night. I’m going to take another .25 tonight and take it from there. We’ll have to see. I’m thinking as long as it continues to stay positive take it with this PCT I’m doing.

Keep us updated please…Thanks

I took another .25 dexamethasone last night, and this morning felt more cleared headed; however, I noticed that the boys is more flaccid, thin, and floppy, as if I was on fin again, which is weird. I feel mentally better, had a great sleeping nocturnal erection again which lasted all night, but the boys are not hanging high. They have fallen low again…weird. I’ll continue to monitor. Maybe I should do every other night. But, needless to say, I feel mentally clearer.

That’s ok…just remember dexamethasone 1/2 life is 36-48 hours…I wouldn’t take too much…Start off with low dose and see if you have to adjust…this is positive news…

Why has the thread gone dead. I have spend the last few hours reading and it seemed to have ended :frowning: i am going to try the protocals listed.