Sexual Dysfunctions Related to Drugs Used in the Management of Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms Due to Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: A Narrative Review on α-Blockers and 5-Alpha Reductase Inhibitors

Sexual Dysfunctions Related to Drugs Used in the Management of Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms Due to Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: A Narrative Review on α-Blockers and 5-Alpha Reductase Inhibitorsby

[ Italian authors ]

Uro 2021, 1(3), 82-98; https://doi.org/10.3390/uro1030012

Received: 7 June 2021 / Revised: 16 June 2021 / Accepted: 24 June 2021 / Published: 5 July 2021

Abstract

This is a critical review of the current literature data about sexual dysfunction as a potential side effect related to drugs commonly used for the treatment of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia and Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms. In this narrative review, we analyzed data from the literature related to the development of sexual dysfunctions during the treatment of BPH or LUTS. Both α-blockers and 5-alpha reductase inhibitors (5-ARIs) can induce erectile dysfunction, ejaculatory disorders and a reduction in sexual desire. The sexual side effect profile of these drugs is different. Among the α-blockers, silodosin appears to have the highest incidence of ejaculatory disorders. Persistent sexual side effects after the discontinuation of finasteride have been recently reported; however, further studies are needed to clarify the true incidence and the significance of this finding. However, most of the published studies are affected by a weak methodology and other important limitations, with only a few RCTs available. Therefore, it is desirable that future studies will include validated tools to assess and diagnose the sexual dysfunction induced by these medications, especially for ejaculation and sexual desire disorders.

https://www.mdpi.com/2673-4397/1/3/12/htm

What? Is this a new study for us?

…“Persistent sexual side effects after the discontinuation of finasteride have been recently reported; however, further studies are needed to clarify the true incidence and the significance of this finding. …”

Recently reported?
Need to clarify (if) true…?

Are they living under a rock, or are we Proscar victims really that uncommon?

@Exsexgod. We’re a Rarity! BS…

1 Like

@JimWildman Normaly Finasterid is given to avoid an prostain operation. It’s not given to sexuall active men. So elderly men who get their urinary flow again woun’t report sexuall sideeffects. Sexuell inactive too. Others read about the sideeffects and day no. So we are rarity of a rare disease. I would like to out myself in a newspaper to ask weather sideeffects with benigne prostain enlargement Therapy so uncommon. And I think not because 10% measured by the producers. But how many have persisting sideeffects?

And the question is, how many elder men developed pfs. That seems to be very rare.
@Sugarhouse @axolotl or Dear staff, do you know something about elder men with benign prostain enlargement developed Post Finasterid Syndrom after treated with proscar / Finasterid

@Exsexgod
Waited a day, hoping I’d be wrong…don’t expect a reply to your query. On a forum filled with Propecia victims, we with Proscar causation remain the bastard children, an ignored minority.

I’ve waited a week for someone to answer your questions, not expecting a reply. I was not disappointed.

Meanwhile, one comment you made I must disagree with:
“…Normaly Finasterid is given to avoid an prostain operation. It’s not given to sexuall active men…”

I took Proscar for BPH, and an operation was never in the picture. Can’t answer for others, tho. Also, you and I were both sexually active, yet we were prescribed this poison.

Maybe many men our age are no longer sexually active, so don’t know that they’ve been harmed. Forgetfulness and fatigue may seem normal, as well.
So yes, there may be many men of our age who are afflicted and are unaware.

This forum’s total focus on Propecia and inattention to Proscar is inexcusable. Hell, we took a dosage 5 times what was given for simple hair loss! They should be curious about whether our symptom are worse accordingly. But no. Instead, crickets.
Yet we continue reading this forum because, what else do we have? Jim

1 Like

IT IS only a very very little amount of Genetic predisposed men, who will Develop pfs. So most urologist never Seen a PDF Case. And Most of the elderly man use Finasterid forever. And the hardest symptomes WE all know, coming after stopping Finasterid. And many elderly men affected by siteeffects think, Im going old right now and they are Not more Interesseted in Sex anymore. So we are both fucked by urologist, who gave us the poison much to early. Fire them Bullett’s in their Heads.

1 Like