Sequencing Study Highlights Intestinal Microbe, Immune Shifts on Ketogenic Diet

This is interesting.
I’ve talked about th17 immunity as it might relate to Accutane’s long term effectiveness.
Im more under the impression there could be a type of immune tolerance or suppression in PFS.
Meaning PFS is something that the body needs to fight that its not.
There might need to be another immune shift.

A team led by University of California at San Francisco scientists has identified an apparent link between high-fat, low-carbohydrate ketogenic diet and gut microbial community composition in mice and humans — an interaction that appears to correspond with a decline in representation by inflammation-promoting Th17 immune cells in the intestine.

2 Likes

Identifying species of symbiont bacteria from the human gut that, alone, can induce intestinal Th17 cells in mice

https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2016/11/22/1617460113

I also believe PFS is having an immune component, at least for my case.

I’ve been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis 2 years ago and have consistently high inflammation markers in my blood work and stool tests

I know this has been discussed thoroughly before on here years ago, but I’m not sure if it ever mounted to anything. That’s why inactive older users is a sad reality forme, because I believe they can contribute positively to the ongoing scientific discussion here.

keep this in mind for both crohn’s and UC.
Some newer thoughts on this.

It is possible that the immunological events responsible for disease initiation are quite different from those contributing to its persistence and propagation. A substantial body of data has emerged in recent years to suggest that the primary defect in Crohn’s disease is actually one of relative immunodeficiency .

Crohn’s Disease: An Immune Deficiency State - PubMed

](https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19437144)

Inflammatory Bowel Disease: Is It a Primary Immunodeficiency?

there is evidence that Crohn’s disease might be the consequence of a reduced release of pro-inflammatory cytokines and an impaired acute inflammatory response, thereby suggesting that IBD might be an immunodeficiency rather than an excessive inflammatory reaction.

1 Like

It’s interesting stuff.

Unfortunately, these theories and knowledge never seem to permeate into general medicinal practice.

Can’t get any meaningful analysis beyond reading some lab results, which I can do just as well using Google.

It’s really hard to find doctors with holistic approaches (and I’m not talking about homeopathic or pseudoscience stuff)

The terminal ileum, this is where these th17 cells accumulate.
This is where the party’s at, and these cells could act like bouncers at a club.
Looking down on this there could be a window of opportunity that some of these drugs might create.
Im thinking the most obvious hormonal effects of Finasteride are going to end up being a decoy.

The terminal ileum is the most distal segment of the small intestine and hosts many toxic substances, including bacteria, viruses, parasites, and digested food.

You could also look at sheer proximity here when it comes to sexual health and function.
Everything from altered blood flow to dysregulated receptors.