"Scientists have identified a genetic switch which is thought to be unique to sexual function."

At the Kaiser Permanente Division of Research in northern California, a group of scientists have identified a genetic switch which is thought to be unique to sexual function. They believe that this switch plays a crucial role in controlling the brain signals which initiate an erection, and new genome editing technologies such as Crispr-Cas9 could one day allow scientists to reactivate this switch in patients.

9 Likes

@awor @northern_star have you seen this already? Thoughts?

1 Like

Does it do something for the libido. Without libido,what’s the point in having errections. I hope it’s benefits us.

1 Like

Yes, that’s the problem. That’s what needs to be fixed.

When I talk to Accutane people, some had a ‘snap’ moment. Like they felt a switch getting flipped. Then everything went to hell.

(Others talk about more of a slow-burn process. They deteriorated more subtly. It seems different in different people.)

5 Likes

Nice find @pete

This excerpt is especially arousing to the curiosity:

“This genetic location is part of a pathway which is involved in a number of different systems in the body, from pigmentation to weight to sexual function,” explains project leader Eric Jorgenson. “But what is exciting about this, is that it seems to be very specific to sexual function, which would make it possible to target this location and not disturb anything else in the body. But there’s a long way to get there. We need to understand the exact part of the brain where this switch is active, and then try targeting it in mice.”

Wish they would have stated the name of the gene and wonder if this is somewhere along the line in the PFS pathology. a-MSH or an enzyme or receptor involved with the melanocortin system possibly? 
a wild guess.

1 Like

Modulation of GABAA Receptors and Neuropeptide Secretion by the Neurosteroid Allopregnanolone in Posterior and Intermediate Pituitary

Abstract

Abstract: A number of neurosteroids bind to GABAA receptors and alter their responsiveness to neurotransmitters. Considerable effort has been devoted to understanding how this form of receptor modulation alters inhibitory synaptic function. Neurosteroid‐sensitive GABAA receptors have also been demonstrated in many endocrine cells, but little is known about how neurosteroids modulate the release of hormones. Here, the action of allopregnanolone, a neurosteroid that enhances GABAAreceptor‐mediated responses, was investigated in posterior pituitary nerve terminals and intermediate pituitary endocrine cells. Patch clamp recordings showed that GABA‐evoked currents were enhanced to similar degrees and with similar concentration dependences in both locations. An organ bath preparation of the neurointermediate lobe was used to investigate drug effects on secretion of vasopressin and α‐melanocyte stimulating hormone. GABA increased the basal release of vasopressin and α‐melanocyte stimulating hormone from the posterior and intermediate pituitary lobe, respectively, an effect that could be blocked by picrotoxinin. Vasopressin release evoked by electrical stimulation was also examined, and a small statistically significant inhibition by 5 ÎŒM GABA was observed. Allopregnanolone increased the basal release of vasopressin, and this effect was blocked by the GABAA receptor antagonist picrotoxinin. Allopregnanolone had no effect in conjunction wıth GABA. In contrast to the posterior lobe, allopregnanolone had no effect on release from the intermediate lobe. Thus, allopregnanolone in physiological relevant concentrations modulates GABAA receptors in both the posterior and intermediate lobes, but only affects hormone release in the posterior lobe.

1 Like

Yeah that’s interesting stuff.

I wonder if we could contact Kaiser Permanente.

Are these the type of people we can contact to get specific research done? If they’re a private commercial lab, that’s possible.

1 Like

Interesting dgreene. But how exactly does it relate to the above finding?

I woke up one day and I knew something was wrong. I discovered what it was throughout the day. So most definitely a snap for me.

This is an interesting article. I did not have time to search yet, but is there a paper from these scientists who have identified the “genetic switch”?

Hmm. This article may be referencing a study that was posted in the science category here last year discussing the SIM1 gene, which is involved in obesity, pigmentation, and ED, and is also acted upon by the melanocortin system:

It appears to be a large healthcare company with a research division. Perhaps they could be of assistance. Definitely worth putting on the list for future reference.

The SIM1 article is the only thing I could find possibly related to the news article in the opening post by Pete.