Safety of the following herbs..?

1-Hottunya cordata
2-stephania tetranda
3-black walnut
4-sida Acuta
6-banderol
7- teasel root
8-thyme

I need these for a Phytotherapy protocol aginst lyme. Just wondering if someone knows if one or more of this has any know effect on dht, serotonin or endocrine functions. Thanks to everyone

@Taw is our resident botanist, maybe he can help. Jim

1 Like

Although I cannot satisfy your inquiry, you may find this intriguing:

https://www.healingwell.com/community/default.aspx?f=30&m=4235463

https://www.healingwell.com/community/default.aspx?f=30&m=3805074

https://www.healingwell.com/community/default.aspx?f=30&m=4220930

https://www.healingwell.com/community/default.aspx?f=30&m=3638430

I wonder if it is a DHT/5AR/androgenic pathway or some other mechanism. There seems to be no information on it that I can find. I can confirm it made my scalp itchy. I never had hair loss in my life, ever.

Black walnuts taste better than english walnuts. I use the tree bark infused in hot water for making drinks. The dried leaves infused in olive oil are good for making salad dressings. Spilanthes, black walnut, myrrh, calendula, witch hazel and others were in a formula an herbalist recommended to me for dental wellness long before the saw palmetto crash. (I never used finasteride)

1 of the worlds most popular spices. I’m sure you have heard of it. Thyme, chamomile, and cranberry is a delicious seasoning blend.

I am not familiar with the others on your list; I have never heard of them.

2 Likes

Hottunya cordata was a weird one, I don’t really know what to make of it but I had a mixed reaction to it recently. It really calmed me down but almost made me too calm, felt like I was in the twilight zone for days after a dose of it. The benefits of the sensory clearing for me from it seems to have stuck though whatever it did. I didn’t ret it for any reason related to this forum, I was trying it in relation to people trying it for bartonella as it was talked about in Lyme circles for that. MY side effects could have been die off but I’m not really sure, either way I’m not taking more of it because the risk is too high.

I’ve been considering sida acuta myself as that one is also brought up occasionally for Lyme. Again it’s getting more obscure herbal territory and you can’t find too much on it. Thanks to Taw up there for the links on the Healinwell forum, that gives me another huge data bank to comb through and cross reference I didn’t know was out there when it comes to peoples experiences with various herbs/supplements.

2 Likes

You know about sida causing hair loss but want relief so much you don’t care about hair anymore, and that really highlights your situation. I find it amazing how it induces hair loss so fast and potently that people notice it in a short time. The list of herbs that treat hair loss is extensive (saw palm, stinging nettle/spurge nettle, acai, fo-ti, rosemary, pygeum, lavender, spear/peppermint, fenugreek), but I only know of 1 that causes hair loss: sida acuta. There are probably more, but there is no market demand ($$$) for inducing hair loss. It would be interesting if you tested your DHT before and after sida if you decide to give it a go.

I notice the reviewers do not specify which part of the plant they used. Heck, they probably do not even know. I did not buy it because it grows in my area for free. I filled a 32 ounce mason jar with the fresh (not dried) leaves, stems, roots, flowers, and seeds then covered it with boiling water, waited for it to cool and strained the plant material out before drinking. Did that for 4 days before I ran out and had an unbearable scalp itch, although not “burning” like someone described. Maybe my hair would have started to fall if I took it longer and/or in higher doses. It is in the mallow family with marshmallow, but that does not mean they behave the same. Coconuts and medjool dates are in the same family as saw palm, but they do not cause a syndrome.

2 Likes